Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB + Firewalls + Anytime+

This is a discussion on Sky BB + Firewalls + Anytime+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is a fairly long question - thanks in advance! I'm currently a Virgin Media customer on their XXL service ...

jonl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky BB + Firewalls + Anytime+

This is a fairly long question - thanks in advance!

I'm currently a Virgin Media customer on their XXL service (100mb down, 5mb Up) and it is truly excellent - I really do see these speeds.

I have an Email server (Exchange) and SSL-VPN at home and all work wonderfully. I currently connect the Virgin modem straight into my Firewall (Sonicwall TZ210). As the connection is Cable, the IP address has been the same for over 18 months so I have my MX records etc all pointing direct to home.

Unfortunately I'm moving to an area where there is no Cable service so I will be getting Sky TV and am interested in the broadband as well due to the Anytime+ service.
      I'm not too fussed by the speed of the broadband as the exchange is non LLU'd and non ADSL2+ and I've been advised by BT Wholesale that I will see a max of 3mb/s if I'm lucky (possibly as low as 1mb/s). Sky advise they can offer the Unlimited package at a speed of 3.5mb/s.

What I need to know is if my current setup can be kept intact (I'll be keeping the Exchange server offsite to get round the immediate need for a static IP - I may start using DynDNS if it works with Sky BB).

Please bear in mind that whilst I know nothing about the latest Sky Router or their service, I am a network engineer by trade so do have a fair bit of knowledge!

-Can I use my own ADSL router (Draytek 2820) instead of the Sky supplied one? If I do will Anytime+ still work?

If yes

-Will Anytime+ work behind a strict firewall (Sonicwall TZ210)? Does it require certain ports to be opened in/out?

If it won't work with a different router

-Will Anytime+ work if it is on a different subnet to the Sky Router (behind the firewall) or does it need to be plugged directly into the router?

Ideally what I'd like to do would be the following

Draytek Router >>Sonicwall TZ210 >> Sky HD/Anytime+

I could put up with

Sky Router >> Sonicwall TZ210 >>Sky HD/Anytime+ if I had to.

I really don't want to take the Firewall out of the setup.

If I had no other choice, I could run the SkyHD box directly from the router and then all the other network devices could sit behind the firewall on a separate subnet. This creates a physical network problem though due to the location of things.

I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks again!

Jon

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky BB + Firewalls + Anytime+

Unfortunately I'm moving to an area where there is no Cable service so I will be getting Sky TV and am interested in the broadband as well due to the Anytime+ service.
      I'm not too fussed by the speed of the broadband as the exchange is non LLU'd and non ADSL2+ and I've been advised by BT Wholesale that I will see a max of 3mb/s if I'm lucky (possibly as low as 1mb/s). Sky advise they can offer the Unlimited package at a speed of 3.5mb/s.I'm not too fussed by the speed of the broadband as the exchange is non LLU'd and non ADSL2+ and I've been advised by BT Wholesale that I will see a max of 3mb/s if I'm lucky (possibly as low as 1mb/s). Sky advise they can offer the Unlimited package at a speed of 3.5mb/s.I'm not too fussed by the speed of the broadband as the exchange is non LLU'd and non ADSL2+ and I've been advised by BT Wholesale that I will see a max of 3mb/s if I'm lucky (possibly as low as 1mb/s). Sky advise they can offer the Unlimited package at a speed of 3.5mb/s.
      If there is no LLU on the exchange then Sky can't give you Unlimited. If there is no Sky LLU then you will not get Anytime+, it is not available on their Connect package, only Lite and Unlimited.

If you have a look around this forum you will get an idea of how good Connect is as a broadband service.

If you can only get Connect, don't touch it, look at Plusnet or Zen..

If you can get Unlimited, come back and we will have a stab at your other questions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If there is no LLU on the exchange then Sky can't give you Unlimited. If there is no Sky LLU then you will not get Anytime+, it is not available on their Connect package, only Lite and Unlimited.

If you have a look around this forum you will get an idea of how good Connect is as a broadband service.

If you can only get Connect, don't touch it, look at Plusnet or Zen..

If you can get Unlimited, come back and we will have a stab at your other questions.
      Hmmm,

I've checked SamKnows again and LLU is now ticked (it wasn't earlier in the week.

The Exchange is Welwyn - SMWEP.

Checking my address with the Sky website brings up

Great news - you're in a Sky Broadband network area, so you can choose from Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited. You can also benefit from free evening and weekend UK# landline calls with Sky Talk and you'll save 5 per month on Sky Broadband with any Sky Talk calls package.

So I assume that's all OK (despite the 3.5mb speed).

Thanks

Thanks

The only one available according to Samknows is TalkTalk, but that site is not always up to date. If Sky say you are in their network area, that will be true. 9 times out of 10 Sky grossly underestimate the speed you can get. There are some on the forum who were estimated at 4Mb and ended up with +16Mb. I think they do that to keep themselves well within the Ofcom regulations.

To answer some of your questions. Many use their own routers with Sky. Unfortunately you need to get your login details from the router they supply. In the past this has been fairly easy, but the latest router has not yet been hacked. In saying that is is an N standard router, although there is still some doubt about whether the N standard is actually enabled or not. You will gather from this that you may be forced to use the router Sky supply. You can always connect your Draytek to the Sky router if you find it necessary.

There should be no need to open ports for the Anytime+ service, although I am not sure how it would work on a different subnet. Sky supply a basic domestic service, the question of subnets does not arise too often. Anytime works perfectly well with nonSky routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Can some of the settings be modified on the new Sky Router?

Specifically port-forwarding and disabling the wireless?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Most routers allow you to disable the WiFi. I'd be very surprised if any from Sky denied you this important security option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Most routers allow you to disable the WiFi. I'd be very surprised if any from Sky denied you this important security option.
      Thanks, I know that, but at the same time, this is the first ISP that I've come across that absolutely insist that you use their own router.

I've dealt with over 25 ISPs over the last few years to know that this is unusual practice. Other ISPs often have a 'preference' but they all allow it, even if you agree (in writing) to forfeit their technical support.

I'm looking for a concrete answer on this if possible.

Thanks.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonl View Post
      Thanks, I know that, but at the same time, this is the first ISP that I've come across that absolutely insist that you use their own router.
      Check the pages of this forum. You'd be surprised just how many use their own routers.

I've dealt with over 25 ISPs over the last few years to know that this is unusual practise. Other ISPs often have a 'preference' but they all allow it, even if you agree (in writing) to forfeit their technical support.
      BT supply their own routers.

Whilst it is against is it against Sky's T&Cs, you get quite a lot of help from Sky tech. support if you require it. This forum has plenty of examples where help has been provided when members are using their own routers, myself included.

Initially I had a problem with a number of errors on the line. I had my own router connected and the person in Sky could see this & the errors. A BTO Engineer was called out and the problem resolved.

I'm looking for a concrete answer on this if possible.

Thanks.
      I have a Netgear DG934G, as supplied by BSkyB. I can categorically confirm that you can disable the WiFi on it. Currently most people are receiving the D-Link Router. From a response that I gained from another member recently, he too was able to disable the WiFi. He has the D-Link router.

Other customers are starting to receive the SagemCOM F@ST 2304n. There is also talk of the SagemCOM F@ST 2504N being released shortly. Not enough is known about these yet to confirm whether you can disable the WiFi with 100% certainty. Based on previous models, I suspect they will allow you to though.

Since, as I mentioned in my previous post, i would regard WiFi as a security issue, it would IMHO be dangerous for Sky not to allow people the ability to turn it off.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The WiFi can be turned off in all Sky routers. Sky turn it on by default to allow those who only have a wireless connection to log in.

Sky routers are also fully capable of being set up with firewall rules and portforwarding. The firewall can also be bypassed by using the DMZ server, included with all the routers.

TomD

Useful Utilites