Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New router when re-joining Sky

This is a discussion on New router when re-joining Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm moving back to Sky BB after a 2 year hiatus with O2, moving due to the well known price ...

dr212 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New router when re-joining Sky

I'm moving back to Sky BB after a 2 year hiatus with O2, moving due to the well known price increases and traffic management etc.

Anyway the switch over happens tomorrow and I still haven't received a router so gave Sky a call and they told me I have to use the one I used to have or else pay 28 for a new one!

I didn't think I knew where my new one was but luckily I've managed to find it, its the Netgear DG834G, been hidden away in a cupboard for a couple of years.

Considering I am signing up for 12 months Sky should they be providing me with a new router do you think and should I push for a new one? I'm not particularly bothered if this one still works (we'll find out tomorrow) but one issue is that according to Sky's T&Cs there is only a 12 month warranty on routers. That would mean if this 'old' one packed in during my 12 month minimum term I would have to pay for a new one rather than it being replaced FOC.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New router when re-joining Sky

No, Sky expect you to use the original router if you've been on Sky BB before - with warranty covering from date of original receipt

Also, what's with these traffic shaping stories I'm hearing on o2? I've never had any issues, especially of late. I max out my connection on decent servers 24/7
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

dr212 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for that.

O2 have changed their packages to include traffic management and then increased their legacy package prices to try and get people to shift over.

I've read details of users on the new packages where speeds are horrendous at peak times and things like BBC iPlayer won't work so even though they offered me a deal to move I didn't as I didn't want to risk it.

If you're on a legacy package you're ok as they are still unlimited as long as you don't mind the price increases.

Decided to move back to Sky as it would also save me some cash on the phone side of things too.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Noticed the increase in the legacy prices but just assumed it's cause my gf left o2 mobile - can say I've never had any shaping issues and can watch Sky Player with no issues. Was thinking of moving to their 'mid' package to double my speeds but think I'll stay as we are now

Will keep an eye on it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket