Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I want WIRELESS...not an ethernet cable??

This is a discussion on I want WIRELESS...not an ethernet cable?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I originally ordered Sky Broadband in November 2010. The customer service has been utterly disgusting, and I'm still wondering why ...

NikkiWilk1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 017683
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy I want WIRELESS...not an ethernet cable??

I originally ordered Sky Broadband in November 2010. The customer service has been utterly disgusting, and I'm still wondering why I continued to order it every week since then.

FINALLY........ the wireless D-Link router has arrived (bloody miracle). During one of the many orders I made, I asked a chap at Sky whether the router would have to be plugged into my laptop, and he basically said "duhh it's wireless".

I have read the instructions that come with the router, over and over, and nowhere does it say I can connect to the internet without having that annoying ethernet cable stuck in the back of the laptop - therefore IT IS NOT WIRELESS!

I haven't set it up yet as the go-live date is today and I intend on battling with it when I get home from work.

Could anyone please advise me on this........ my HP laptop is brand new and therefore has the wireless thing all ready on it. I have a Sky+ HD box, and a PS3, so I don't know if the ethernet cable could just be plugged into one of those???

Basically I just want wireless internet. I do not have a computer, just one laptop (I say this because my Mum has her router plugged into her computer and can then use all her laptops wirelessly).

Please help :-( I hate Sky enough already without ringing them about this.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I want WIRELESS...not an ethernet cable??

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiWilk1 View Post
      therefore IT IS NOT WIRELESS!
      Yes, it is.

Whatever your operating system, open the list of available wireless networks and have a look for your network name (this is the SSID found on the bottom of the router on the sticker). Connect to it and it'll ask for a network key (also found on the bottom of the router) and you need to ensure you enter this all in capitals - it's 8 letters, no numbers and all in upper case. Once you've done that, you should be good to go.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Wow! another rant as a first post.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

So.......... do I set the router up using the Sky Broadband disc and instructions, then once it's set up I remove the ethernet cable completely, and then search for wireless networks? Is that how it should work?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You don't have to use the disk or the ethernet cable at all. Just do as User says and you will be on line in no time. Remeber that if you have a house with thick solid walls, you will struggle to get a wireless reception if you have several walls between you and the router. Set the connection up first when you are in line of site with the router.

I notice you are on Sky Connect, good luck, it is about the worst broadband you can get. If you had visited this forum and searched for Connect, I doubt you would have taken it.

I think you are going to have a lot more ranting to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Sky Connect = the worst broadband in the UK, get out now, I wouldn't even bother connecting the router, ring Sky, get your MAC code and move on ASAP...

Thanks

:-( urrrrgh. Well............ Sky basically told me because of the area we're in we won't get a great service from any provider, and given that we do live in the back of beyond I took their word for it. We can't even get Sky Anytime+ cause of where we live, and it doesn't seem that long ago that we got rid of dial-up and got broadband.

We couldn't get a better broadband package with Sky because of this, and as other providers were offering the same 8MB or whatever is, we thought we'd go with Sky cause we have phone and TV with them.

We'll only be using it a couple of times a week at most, like, never more than an hour or two at a time....... will that make any difference? It won't be getting heavy usage or anything

Sorry for the rant :-( it has taken since November to get broadband, and we had to go through Ofcom to sort out BT and Sky and I spoke to so many retards who just did not know what they were supposed to be doing.

Setting up broadband has been 100x more stressful than when we actually bought our house.

I'll be sat in the same room, or the room directly below where the router will be, so that shouldn't be too bad.

I thought I had to connect to the ethernet because I had to set up wireless settings or router settings or something???.......... so User means just plug the router into the wall, and search for networks on my laptop........ and that is it?

Gosh I hope it is that easy :-) what a huge relief if so!!!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Setting up the wireless just involves you scanning for the network name matching the one on the bottom of the router (SKYxxxx) and entering the wireless key (also on the bottom of the router)

As for getting no other BB, you can get more and you'll get better. Maybe not so much in terms of connection speed but in terms of usability. Other ISPs shape traffic differently so you can actually use the connection. Sky BB Connect is so heavily shaped you can barely browse the web during peak hours

Best advice is to leave
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Many Laptops have the ability to turn on or off the WiFi through a button or a 'Fn' key function. I would suggest not only looking at the advise given to see if you can see you router, but I would strongly suggest that you ensure that you Laptop's WiFi is turned on.

If you can't find your router, can you see any other routers?

Perhaps taking your Laptop into town might help. Most have at least one office or shop with a WiFi connection showing, even if you can't see it.

I've also punched in the postcode for your town and found what I think is your exchange:

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Kirkby Stephen (LCKST) Exchange

This indicates that no ISP will have their equipment in your local exchange. However there are a variety of good ISPs out there who can offer far better terms than Sky Connect.

Also the link above confirms that you don't have ADSL2+ as an option. Nor is FTTC currently planned for your area.

Saying all this, SamKnows has become significantly out of date in recent months.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms