Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing BB & Line Rental from BT to Sky

This is a discussion on Changing BB & Line Rental from BT to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Thought I'd post a message here as I'm sure someone will be able to help us. My dad ...

misterbigalow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing BB & Line Rental from BT to Sky

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post a message here as I'm sure someone will be able to help us. My dad wants to change his broadband from BT to Sky as he's been ridiculously overcharged by BT for years. He's already a Sky TV subscriber so I logged on with his details and did a dummy run of ordering Sky Broadband Unlimited with Sky Talk Freetime (ie didn't complete the order yet). It asked to input a MAC code, as I thought it would, to change from BT to Sky.

I then rang BT to get a MAC code. Not a problem, tried to offer a better deal but didn't take it, and eventually got the code. Then my dad tells me to get Sky Line Rental as well as he wants nothing to do with BT anymore (unsurprisingly). I therefore go back to the website to acutally order Sky Broadband Unlimited with Sky Talk Freetime and now add Sky Talk Line Rental. This time, though, it doesn't ask for a MAC code and just goes through with the order, giving a date of the 15th March for it to be activated. Thought that was a bit strange, wondering what now happens with our BT service.

So I rang Sky up to ask about this, and unfortunately got an Indian man (for goodness sake, everyone else I've rang regarding all this has been English, why on earth at this time did I have to get an Indian man, grr!). I told him about the situation, wondering why it didn't ask for the MAC code, and he says we didn't need one as we were in a 'Sky Broadband area'. What? That makes no sense, the MAC code is there to change from one provider to another. He said that the broadband would be activated on the 15th, and I should call BT and cancel with them on the 16th! I'm sure this is completely wrong, surely you give them the MAC code so they can switch (i've read TalkTalk do all this for you with the code). I told him that by adding Sky Line Rental had made the MAC code entry on the order page disappear, so I asked him if that was the reason why, and all he could say was 'that is one of the reasons'. Urgh.

Anyway, what should happen now, do I do as he says and wait until the 15th March and then ring BT on 16th to cancel, or persist with the MAC code that they should be accepting?

Thanks for your help!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Changing BB & Line Rental from BT to Sky

All correct.

Because you are transferring to Sky's equipment (aka LLU) a MAC code is not required.

If you were transferring BB between suppliers & not using an LLU provider, then a MAC code is required.

Be aware that the BB does not always go live on the same day as the line connection. Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie, that's a weight off my mind!

So is he right, I'll have to cancel BT by ringing ourselves on the 16th? Otherwise we'd be paying for two lots of BB and line rental, ha!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You still need a MAC to move to Sky BB LLU but if you're moving EVERYTHING (line as well) then you shouldn't need one as you're leaving BT completely
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You still need a MAC to move to Sky BB LLU but if you're moving EVERYTHING (line as well) then you shouldn't need one as you're leaving BT completely
      Sorry, my answer could have been clearer, but this info was in the 1st message.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, my answer could have been clearer, but this info was in the 1st message.
      Thanks for this guys! Looks like we'll have to ring BT to cancel everything on the 16th then, I'll get my dad to do that, I've done enough calling companies!