Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using my own router/changed MAC address question

This is a discussion on Using my own router/changed MAC address question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Prior to moving to Sky, I used the Netgear DG 834 GT. When I joined Sky I was supplied with ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Using my own router/changed MAC address question

Prior to moving to Sky, I used the Netgear DG 834 GT.

When I joined Sky I was supplied with the D-Link router.

This has worked fine, but since my connection type changed to MER, I have noticed a drop in the download speeds I get. So I thought I would use my old DG834GT to see if it would help. Has I had extracted the username and password from my D-Link, I entered these into the appropriate section on the Netgear's setup page.

Now my connection type is back to PPPoa, and I have noticed that my download speeds have increased also since doing the above.

I noted down the ADSL Port MAC address and the LAN port MAC address from the Sky router and I have used the ADSL port MAC address on the Netgear.

Does it make any difference whether I use the ADSL Port MAC address or the LAN Port MAC address when entering these into the appropriate section of the Netgear router setup page, i.e from a been detected by Sky point of view?

Now I know its against Sky's T&C to use your own router. But I was wondering with me changing the MAC address of the Netgear to the same MAC address has the Sky router, am I relativity safe from been detected by Sky that I am NOT using their supplied router?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Using my own router/changed MAC address question

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      Does it make any difference whether I use the ADSL Port MAC address or the LAN Port MAC address when entering these into the appropriate section of the Netgear router setup page, i.e from a been detected by Sky point of view?

Now I know its against Sky's T&C to use your own router. But I was wondering with me changing the MAC address of the Netgear to the same MAC address has the Sky router, am I relativity safe from been detected by Sky that I am NOT using their supplied router?

Thanks in advance.
      If you are having problems connecting with the username & password extracted from your Sky router, then it is the ADSL (or WAN) MAC address that needs to be used. The LAN MAC address is only seen by your side of the router.

'Spoofing' the MAC address, as it is more correctly known, is frequently suggested.

As for Sky seeing that you are using a non-Sky router, it doesn't matter what you do, that can tell. A lot of people do use non-Sky routers though and they haven't had any major problems.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you are having problems connecting with the username & password extracted from your Sky router, then it is the ADSL (or WAN) MAC address that needs to be used. The LAN MAC address is only seen by your side of the router.

'Spoofing' the MAC address, as it is more correctly known, is frequently suggested.

As for Sky seeing that you are using a non-Sky router, it doesn't matter what you do, that can tell. A lot of people do use non-Sky routers though and they haven't had any major problems.
      Thanks Scubbie.

I'm having no problems connecting with the username and password extracted from the Sky router.

I basically wanted to make it more difficult for Sky to detect that I was not using their router.

I have attached a screen shot below of the Netgear router setup.

I am only able to change the ADSL port MAC address on my DG834GT. I have changed this to the same has what was shown on the Sky router's ADSL port MAC address. I thought that this might go some way to disguise I was not using the supplied Sky router.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

That's the correct MAC address to use.

If Sky were to enforce their T&Cs over routers, then I suspect that they would have a massive revolt by those in the know. The majority of their routers are not WiFi n capable (except being their very newest one). This means that your WiFi signal isn't as good as it could be in terms of distance & speed.

Also many who have issues over security would prefer to know more about sky's access to the routers and possibly your LAN.

I am not aware of Sky accessing our PCs in this way, but a darker side of me knows this could always be possible. Some ISPs reserve this right and have in the past used it.

Using my own router & AV & Firewall software, I like to think that I can at least reduce this opportunity.

I liken connecting to the Internet rather like moving a house from the countryside to Trafalgar Square.

In the country, many people feel cut-off from the rest of the world. Many often leave their doors unlocked & keys in their cars. This would be like having a PC or Laptop not connected to the Internet.

Now if we were to up-route the house in the countryside & place it in the middle of Trafalgar Square, then everything would start going missing & everyone would be able to view any personal documents. So what we could do would be to install bars on the windows, secure locks on the doors & secure the car at night. We could also pay for a bouncer to stand at the door to allow only those who we want to be able to enter or leave.

This is what the AV software, firewall & anti-malware software does.

The last thing I want to do is allow any organisation a key to the back door, where that can come & go as they please.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (02-03-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help Scubbie its much appreciated