Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help please

This is a discussion on Help please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hey guys i need some advice: i have sky bb unlimited. i moved house literally across the street, same exchange, ...

golo83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help please

hey guys i need some advice: i have sky bb unlimited.

i moved house literally across the street, same exchange, same sky ISP but now my bb sync speed is 2044kbps instead of the 3400+ previously.

i spoke to Sky CS and asked them to increase my sync speed and he said he just ran some line tests for a couple of minutes and that my line has been connected at 2044kbps for a few months, max speed the line can support is 3.5Mbps but he cannot increase me to more than 2044kbps due to the exchange configuration i.e. need to be 2mb, 4mb, 8mb, 12mb and so on (not sure what he was on about..).
      hence he cannot increase to 3.5mbps... but how is this correct when i used to get 3.4mbps sync speed across the street on the same exchange? all other websites such as DSLZone, Sam Knows, O2 broadband say i should be able to get between 3.5-7mbps based on phone line and post code info...

does this sound right? any ideas what i can do to increase my sync speed? Thanks for the help!

my router stats currently:
      DownStream Connection Speed 2044 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 796 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2044 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41 db 24 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

i am connected to bermondsey exchange in london, around 1.89 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.
      Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 4Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps." from ADSL Checker

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help please

You can get more speed than that.

Plug your router into the test socket in your master socket and make a note of your stats and post them here. Also ring sky while you are plugged into the test socket and ask them to uncap your line\put you on a better profile. The person you get through to initially, may not understand this so just start whining about slow broadband.

Make sure you restart the router before ringing them. If you are not satisfied with the response you get, hang up and ring back till you get through to somone who can help.

After sky tweak your line, your noise margin should fall down to around 7-8. If when this happens your line syncs at less than 8meg. You might be better off asking them to put you on GDMT (ADSL).