Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since my last escapade on the Sky User forums, I had high hopes that I won't ever need to return ...

RevXaisks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDMS (Dumfries)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Belkin F5D8636-4A-H v2
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

Since my last escapade on the Sky User forums, I had high hopes that I won't ever need to return again.
      Day 3 of DLM

(Don't get me wrong, 'tis but a very friendly community and all. But as always. The need to use the sky user forums only meant that you're more or less experiencing problems and issues. )

I'll try and be as detailed as I can. (Please be prepared, it's a lot of reading. Perhaps I have gone "too" detailed. )
      On the 09/09/2010, my internet for Sky Broadband officially came online.
      I was given the newest (and if I'm correct, it currently still is the latest) router.
      Code:
      D-Link DSL-2640S (Black) SKY_2.04 *
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030i.d22k *

* As of now, it may have updated automatically since I first plugged it in.
      Today, when I logged onto the Sky Router diagnostics page (routine check), I noticed that the Connection Type read differently than normal.
      It now reads "MER" (Mac Encapsulating Routing)? Although I wasn't 100% certain. I knew right away it has changed. Most probably from "PPPoA"

I scrolled down and also noticed that my "VCI" has also changed. From 38 to 40.
      I did a speedtest and my results were theoretically speaking, identical to that from my "Day 3 of DLM" thread:
      PREVIOUS:

NOW:

So, it's safe to say this hasn't affected my performance. Myself, I haven't noticed any problems either.
      However, what's bothering me is.... as with all Sky Unlimited packages, they are all assigned with a "Dynamic IP".
      This has always been the case for my connection until now.
      Now, no matter how many times I manually switch on/ off the router, or use the "Reboot" on the diagnostics page,
      the IP stays the same. Thus.... my connection now harnesses a "Static IP"?

I can't remember when my IP became static, nor when the connection changed to "MER".
      I haven't touched any configuration since last Dec, hence I made the assumption that the change in "Connection Type" has resulted in me getting this issue.

I've done some searching and came across this:
      Sky Broadband Unlimited, Strange disconnection problems need help!

I've tried it, but with no avail. I hold the reset button for 50 seconds and the "tick" light keeps flashing. Nothing happens.
      So I reboot and upon visiting the diagnostics page, I see that the connection type is "PPPoA", until the router goes online, it automatically switches back to "MER" again.
      Same happens when I use the "Restore to Factory Settings" option.

Below is the log generated by the Diagnostics page.
      (Duration is the the start until the moment the connection came online.)
      Code:
      Jan  1 00:00:11  kernel: eth0 Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
      Jan  1 00:00:11  kernel: eth4 Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
      Jan  1 00:00:18  kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
      Jan  1 00:00:34  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 started
      Jan  1 00:00:38  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
      Jan  1 00:00:42  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 message exchange
      Jan  1 00:00:43  kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down
      Jan  1 00:00:44  kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
      Jan  1 00:01:00  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 started
      Jan  1 00:01:04  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
      Jan  1 00:01:08  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 message exchange
      Jan  1 00:01:09  kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down
      Jan  1 00:01:10  kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
      Jan  1 00:01:26  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 started
      Jan  1 00:01:30  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
      Jan  1 00:01:34  kernel: Line 0: ADSL G.992 message exchange
      Jan  1 00:01:35  kernel: Line 0: ADSL link up, Path 0, us=1150, ds=21021
      Jan  1 00:01:45  kernel: Intrusion -> IN=atm1 OUT= MAC=f0:xx:xx:xx:xx:cf:00:07:72:cb:aa:2b:08:00 SRC=124.79.165.201
                                            DST=90.xxx.xxx.233 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=62751 DF PROTO=TCP
                                            SPT=24344 DPT=55773 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00
      Feb 26 12:03:07  kernel: Intrusion -> IN=atm1 OUT= MAC=f0:xx:xx:xx:xx:cf:00:07:72:cb:aa:2b:08:00 SRC=124.79.165.201
                                            DST=90.xxx.xxx.233 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=63849 DF PROTO=TCP
                                            SPT=24344 DPT=55773 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00
      The previous "Router Statistics":

... and the Current "Router Statistics":
      Last edited by RevXaisks; 26-02-11 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Made clear I prefer Dynamic IP not Static IP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Special thanks to:
      IWasNotTheEnemy, Isitme, fuzzy logic

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

It doesn't look like you have a problem there in most ways.

The auto-sensing is the normal way for any router to swap between different protocols when it is connecting. It looks like the initial problems that some members experienced could well have been resolved by what you are describing.

As for Static or Dynamic IP addresses, personally I prefer Dynamic for security reasons. If anyone needs to access their LAN remotely, they can always investigate the Dynamic DNS site. Many routers, including sky's support this.

The last time I reset my router (which is still on PPPoA) it retained the same IP address, so I wonder if this is something that is changing for us all?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The last time I reset my router (which is still on PPPoA) it retained the same IP address, so I wonder if this is something that is changing for us all?
      IP addresses can sometime be a bit sticky on Sky, clicking the sky test button used to be the most reliable way of getting a different one for me.

Once switched to MER, sky probably use static IP addresses to make it easier to identify a user from their IP address- eg when they get a complaint about spam or filesharing. On PPPoA connections, they would presumably use the Radius Servers' accounting logs for who was allocated an IP address at a particular time.

Holding the reset button in at boot-up on the D-link just puts it in a firmware install mode, switching its IP address to 192.168.1.1 with no DHCP server.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      ...sky probably use static IP addresses to make it easier to identify a user from their IP address- eg when they get a complaint about spam or filesharing. On PPPoA connections, they would presumably use the Radius Servers' accounting logs for who was allocated an IP address at a particular time.
      There was mention elsewhere that some companies had mucked up on knowing who was actually assigned what IP address, which sadly meant the wrong people were contacted.

What a shame.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As for Static or Dynamic IP addresses, personally I prefer Dynamic for security reasons.
      Yes, I require the Dynamic IP and prefer it more too. That's my problem.

IP addresses can sometime be a bit sticky on Sky, clicking the sky test button used to be the most reliable way of getting a different one for me.
      I've never used that before, I clicked it and the following followed:
      Code:
      DSL line is OK.
      You are connected using IPoE, your ip address is : @90.xxx.xxx.233

Return Code:1
      IPoE?

Once switched to MER, sky probably use static IP addresses to make it easier to identify a user from their IP address- eg when they get a complaint about spam or filesharing. On PPPoA connections, they would presumably use the Radius Servers' accounting logs for who was allocated an IP address at a particular time.
      Why was it switched in the first place? When I signed up for the contract, surely it stated it was a Dynamic connection? If the change to MER caused this, then surely it's going against what I signed up for in the contract?

--------------------------------------
      Perhaps I was not very clear.
      What I need is a solution to go back to Dynamic IP.
      1) If the change to MER caused this, what else can I do to switch it back to PPPoA?
      2) If it wasn't related to MER, where does the problem lie?
      3) Should I contact Sky and ask why my connection no longer supports a Dynamic IP connection or simply ask why it has changed from PPPoA to MER?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Special thanks to:

Exchange:
      Thanks

You could try turning your router off overnight, to see if the IP address is static, or just very sticky.

I don't recall anything in the T&C regarding having a dynamic IP address. If you extracted your password before the firmware upgrade, then it may still be possible to connect using PPPoA using a non-sky router, and you may get a dynamic address, although I guess it is possible that Sky might decided to block PPPoA access at some point in the future. However there must be quite a lot of sky customers on their new hardware that use their own router, and wouldn't be happy if they did, and there are still the two models of sky netgear routers that would require new custom firmware to support MER.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Fixed/Dynamic addresses have never been covered by the T & Cs. If Sky are going to give fixed addresses free, I am sure it will please more people than it will upset. Manyt ISPs charge extra for a fixed address. As far as I can see there is only one reason for objecting to a fixed address, I'll leave you to guess what it is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Fixed/Dynamic addresses have never been covered by the T & Cs. If Sky are going to give fixed addresses free, I am sure it will please more people than it will upset. Manyt ISPs charge extra for a fixed address. As far as I can see there is only one reason for objecting to a fixed address, I'll leave you to guess what it is.
      Actually Tom, there is another very valid reason.

It is possible for a hacker to find a hole in your security and come back at a later date to exploit that vulnerability. If you wish to make their work a little harder, then Dynamic IPs have been well known as an additional measure to preventing their intrusion.

BTW: False alarm on my behalf earlier in this thread. I reset my router this evening for something unrelated to this thread and have a different IP address this time.

Thanks

You could try turning your router off overnight, to see if the IP address is static, or just very sticky.

I don't recall anything in the T&C regarding having a dynamic IP address. If you extracted your password before the firmware upgrade, then it may still be possible to connect using PPPoA using a non-sky router, and you may get a dynamic address, although I guess it is possible that Sky might decided to block PPPoA access at some point in the future. However there must be quite a lot of sky customers on their new hardware that use their own router, and wouldn't be happy if they did, and there are still the two models of sky netgear routers that would require new custom firmware to support MER.
      I'll give that a try tonight. Before the firmware upgrade? So my router has been updated then. Just out of curiosity and reference, what version was the extraction possible?

I did extract the username and password prior, yes.

Code:
      Actually Tom, there is another very valid reason.

It is possible for a hacker to find a hole in your security and
      come back at a later date to exploit that vulnerability.
      If you wish to make their work a little harder,
      then Dynamic IPs have been well known as an additional measure to
      preventing their intrusion.
      What she said.

Special thanks to:

Exchange:
      Thanks

I prefer a dynamic IP address myself, for reasons of privacy especially while browsing and for avoiding excessively targeted and repetitive advertising. Still Sky's IP addresses have never been that dynamic - I think for a long time only the last octet of mine would ever change, and you can identify which exchange and therefor which town from a user's IP address.

Also when I had a free static IP address with an ISP in the past, I was targeted with DOS attacks by a usenet troll.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)