Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; BT are now supplying the HH3, to new customers and as a paid upgrade to existing. It does not get ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

BT are now supplying the HH3, to new customers and as a paid upgrade to existing. It does not get exactly glowing reports and its main advantage seems to be that it is 'Infinity ready' and has intelligent channel selection. Seems expensive too for a locked down router, which does not support QoS or MAC filtering.
      BT Home Hub 3 review | Expert Reviews

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The BT HomeHub v2 offers significantly more options that any Sky router. It is supplied as standard to all new BT customers.

Are you therefore suggesting that Sky customers are to forever subject to inferior products?
      If it means paying 7.50 a month instead of 28 a month, then yes. Significantly more options but significantly more cost too.

DaveL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      I expect the vast amount of people (who use third party routers) only do so because Sky doesn't do a wireless N router and they need the range etc that the Sky router does not give. I think if/when Sky done a Wireless N router, then the need to use a third party router will be less than what it is now.

I can't understand why Sky cannot give you the option of either:

1: Use your own router and we'll provide the password & username, but any problems you have with the router or setting up the router and you will be on your own, no support will be given. (Which isnt that bad when there are forums like this around who can provide help in this scenario. )

2: If you are not technically minded and basically want to just be able to connect the router up and you will be then online, then we will supply you with a router. In this instance we will provide support for the router if you have problems.

Either way, Sky are still getting paid by the customers who use their own routers, because they are still using Sky for their broadband connection, so I can't see why it matters. As long has its pointed out that using your own router means you are on your own if you have problems.

even simpler would be to offer:

1. simple setup, sky supply the modem/router and you get full support
      2. own-router, sky supply an adsl modem to support their network with ethernet LAN port for you to connect own router and they only support the modem side, you support the router yourself. Then you just need a cable router and you're sorted.

Starting to wonder why I signed up with sky, other than no option for TV since cable weren't allowed to cross the street to the development. With ships going by, off-air gets a lot of interference so needed an alternative, makes you wonder if someone on the council was getting rewarded for making that decision, removing consumer choice.

Now it seems the flat management company will be putting in a communal dish, so we'll all have to use that, probably losing the 2-inputs to the HD+ box so can only view/record one channel at a time.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
      ...Now it seems the flat management company will be putting in a communal dish, so we'll all have to use that, probably losing the 2-inputs to the HD+ box so can only view/record one channel at a time.
      I would contact the management company and ask them just what they are installing.

Places which had their communal dishes installed before the record facility was available I can understand having only one input, but not a new installation. I would suspect that you have rights.

The advantage to you though would be that the dish would hopefully be above the height of any local shipping.

As for Virgin Cable, where I live is also surrounded by Virgin cable, yet they don't supply my property.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

LinkBacks (?)