Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I agree they should, but chance would be a fine thing. They won't give tier 1 LAMA access never mind ...

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

I agree they should, but chance would be a fine thing.

They won't give tier 1 LAMA access never mind provide a username and password.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I would totally disagree.

If the issue is with the non-Sky router, then sure, support can be sketchy.

i.e. is it plugged into the mains, are the lights on - end of conversation

If the problem is with the line and the sync rate has dropped, or the micro-filter has failed, then it would be irresponsible for anyone not to support the customer.

Edit: sorry this is referring to the provision of support for those who do not use the Sky routers
      Last edited by Scubbie; 21-03-11 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add edit note

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would totally disagree.

If the issue is with the non-Sky router, then sure, support can be sketchy.

i.e. is it plugged into the mains, are the lights on - end of conversation

If the problem is with the line and the sync rate has dropped, or the micro-filter has failed, then it would be irresponsible for anyone not to support the customer.

Edit: sorry this is referring to the provision of support for those who do not use the Sky routers
      The issue then with sync rates could be cause by the chipset that is being used in the non-sky router.

I agree that some support could be provided but when it comes to sync rates. We could just ask them to connect the sky router back up, to rule out the issue being caused by using a router with different chipset
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

We could just ask them to connect the sky router back up, to rule out the issue being caused by using a router with different chipset
      Unfortunately many flog their Sky router on eBay, so do not have it to try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Suppose that is a fair point. Never considered that possibility

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I suppose if they have flogged it (bad idea to do so in my opinion). They could always telephone Sky and say the Sky router has packed up, no lights on it at all, they would then be sent a new router (at the cost Sky charge for a new router).

This would be the only way for to establish if the none Sky router was the cause, and for Sky to do the tests etc, you need to be using the Sky router anyways.

I would always keep hold of my Sky router (if I was using a third party router) in case the need arose for me to connect my Sky router up at some point in the future, i.e. if Sky stopped access to PPPOA altogether and used MER instead, has I believe there is virtually no routers that allow a connection by MER.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      I suppose if they have flogged it (bad idea to do so in my opinion). They could always telephone Sky and say the Sky router has packed up, no lights on it at all, they would then be sent a new router (at the cost Sky charge for a new router).

This would be the only way for to establish if the none Sky router was the cause, and for Sky to do the tests etc, you need to be using the Sky router anyways.

I would always keep hold of my Sky router (if I was using a third party router) in case the need arose for me to connect my Sky router up at some point in the future, i.e. if Sky stopped access to PPPOA altogether and used MER instead, has I believe there is virtually no routers that allow a connection by MER.
      Chances are people would be able to find routers that use MER.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky can tell if you telephone for help and you are not using their router. So they could just say.

'You are not using the Sky router and because of this, we will provide no support'
      Ideally, I'd like them to provide the facility on their website to request a username and password for use in a non-sky router, which wouldn't necessarily have to be the one from the sky router.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to set up their telephone system, so that when you ring their adsl support number from your sky activated line, it checks the caller ID, and if you usually use a non-sky router, you get an automated message asking you to press "1" to confirm that you have reconnected you sky router, "2" if not, and if you select the no option, or, if their system indicates that you are currently connected using a non-sky router, it could tell you to phone back with the sky router plugged in, then hang up on you.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I expect the vast amount of people (who use third party routers) only do so because Sky doesn't do a wireless N router and they need the range etc that the Sky router does not give. I think if/when Sky done a Wireless N router, then the need to use a third party router will be less than what it is now.
      There's probably also a fair number whose Sky supplied router has packed up, so they've bought a decent router from a shop, or used their old one and obtained their password, rather than paying Sky 30 quid for a replacement router which is a lot of money for a very basic router that you can't even use with another ISP, on top of which you have to wait with no internet connection until it is delivered.

Then there's the people who have got a really nice router, possibly with better features, such as QOS and already have it all set up and configured to work with their PC's, mobiles, blackberry , xboxes, media devices, etc from their last ISP (they may even have paid someone to do it for them), and don't want the hassle of trying to get everything working on a new router, especially if it is one that's a little bit crap compared to their own.

If Sky did enforce the use of their routers, I wonder how many customers they'd lose, I don't suppose it would be that many in terms of the total number they have, but I bet it would be quite a few.

Exchange:
      Thanks

We do have the option to send out a new router free of charge.

I personally have never charged for a router.

Don't think that it is fair to charge when the router quality is average at best. Especially when they are not allowed to shop around to find a non-sky router.

They will probably loose a few people especially those who had to come here to get there wireless working properly.

Agree that they should have a QOS packet scheduler in the router. I know we don't do Fastpath and therefore are not the best ISP for gamers but even still. There are also other reasons for prioritising network traffic.

Pretty sure the sky routers don't have stateful packet inspection either.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)