Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Results 31 to 40 of 64

    Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

    This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A lot of customers are being moved to IPoE as of recent....

    1. #31
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      A lot of customers are being moved to IPoE as of recent.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #32
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      A lot of customers are being moved to IPoE as of recent.
      Any ideas on the reason why it is happening.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

    4. #33
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Honestly, no idea. I've heard the same speculation that's on here about making it more difficult for third party routers to be used, but I highly, highly doubt that's Sky's main objective with the move.

    5. #34
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Might be something in it as i heard something before about a new system being introduced to check if people are using 3rd party routers but never heard any more about what the system was going to be.

      Surprised that they didn't start charging for a static ip.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

    6. #35
      simon194's Avatar
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      367
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Honestly, no idea. I've heard the same speculation that's on here about making it more difficult for third party routers to be used, but I highly, highly doubt that's Sky's main objective with the move.
      That's one reason especially since not many 3rd party routers support MER but moving over to an IP-based system is cheaper and easier to maintain because the ATM layer is removed.

    7. #36
      Tal71's Avatar
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      383
      Thanks
      75
      Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Might be something in it as i heard something before about a new system being introduced to check if people are using 3rd party routers but never heard any more about what the system was going to be.
      I expect the vast amount of people (who use third party routers) only do so because Sky doesn't do a wireless N router and they need the range etc that the Sky router does not give. I think if/when Sky done a Wireless N router, then the need to use a third party router will be less than what it is now.

      I can't understand why Sky cannot give you the option of either:

      1: Use your own router and we'll provide the password & username, but any problems you have with the router or setting up the router and you will be on your own, no support will be given. (Which isnt that bad when there are forums like this around who can provide help in this scenario. )


      2: If you are not technically minded and basically want to just be able to connect the router up and you will be then online, then we will supply you with a router. In this instance we will provide support for the router if you have problems.

      Either way, Sky are still getting paid by the customers who use their own routers, because they are still using Sky for their broadband connection, so I can't see why it matters. As long has its pointed out that using your own router means you are on your own if you have problems.

    8. #37
      SadBloke's Avatar
      SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Posts
      305
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      Either way, Sky are still getting paid by the customers who use their own routers, because they are still using Sky for their broadband connection, so I can't see why it matters. As long has its pointed out that using your own router means you are on your own if you have problems.
      I can't see that working. Some people *think* they know what they are doing - it doesn't take long reading some of the threads on here to realise that - they would simply cause havoc at the CS end by insisting that problems aren't possibly their fault, it MUST be the Sky systems (and it's not only restricted to broadband, think about TV problems also).

      I don't agree with the 'own router' policy either, but I can see that having a restricted set of hardware makes it much simpler for Tier 1 CS to handle, with the default action being to swap out any kit that won't work to isolate problems at the user end.

      If people want N routers then it's not that hard to piggy back one on to the default Sky G kit. That's what I am doing to give me a dual-band solution: fast wireless for laptops, slower speeds for everything else. I want N wireless, but I also want gigabit ethernet for a NAS unit and DD-WRT because it's more flexible. Once you start getting into all the options the support requirements increase exponentially. Yes, they are 'getting paid' as you say, but they aren't getting paid that much compared to other ISPs.

    9. #38
      Tal71's Avatar
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      383
      Thanks
      75
      Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      they would simply cause havoc at the CS end by insisting that problems aren't possibly their fault, it MUST be the Sky systems
      But like I mentioned earlier. If Sky pointed out at the time of signing up for broadband that using your own router then meant:

      'We will provide no support at all'.

      Sky can tell if you telephone for help and you are not using their router. So they could just say.

      'You are not using the Sky router and because of this, we will provide no support'

      I can't see why/how this would cause havoc for the CS. When once they discovered the customer was not using the Sky router, they could simple say:

      'You are not using the Sky router and because of this, we will provide no support' the CS could then just hang up the phone.

      Its quite simple:

      Question= You want support for your router?

      Yes:

      Answer is= Then you use the Sky router.

      Question= You want to use your own router?

      Yes:

      Answer is= You are on your own with ANY issues.

      It is easy to check if your OWN router is at fault, by simple connecting the Sky router up and seeing if you can get online with it. Also, with doing this, would then mean you would be eligible for support from Sky.

    10. #39
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers's Avatar
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      965
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      But like I mentioned earlier. If Sky pointed out at the time of signing up for broadband that using your own router then meant:

      'We will provide no support at all'.

      Sky can tell if you telephone for help and you are not using their router. So they could just say.

      'You are not using the Sky router and because of this, we will provide no support'

      I can't see why/how this would cause havoc for the CS. When once they discovered the customer was not using the Sky router, they could simple say:

      'You are not using the Sky router and because of this, we will provide no support' the CS could then just hang up the phone.

      Its quite simple:

      Question= You want support for your router?

      Yes:

      Answer is= Then you use the Sky router.

      Question= You want to use your own router?

      Yes:

      Answer is= You are on your own with ANY issues.

      It is easy to check if your OWN router is at fault, by simple connecting the Sky router up and seeing if you can get online with it. Also, with doing this, would then mean you would be eligible for support from Sky.
      Agree with your idea.

      Wouldn't make it any harder for tier 1 either as normal TS would still be feasible.

      Also agree about piggbacking being simple I bought an airport extreme, due to virgin media superhub being terrible.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

      Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

    11. #40
      Tal71's Avatar
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      383
      Thanks
      75
      Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

      Yeah piggybacking the Sky Router with a N router is possible and still means you are not going against Sky's T&C's. But some people may not have the room to have two routers within close proximity.

      I still think Sky should provide the customer with a username and password if required, but with the conditions I have mentioned earlier.

     

     
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

    LinkBacks (?)


    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION