Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry to be a noob.... But why have Sky started changing some people to MER all of a sudden ? ...

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

Sorry to be a noob....

But why have Sky started changing some people to MER all of a sudden ?

Is it something that will be rolled out to all users eventually ?????

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I think they're going to be doing it, seems to be users with the Sagem routers at present
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sagem and D-link users on the new Alcatel MSANs at the moment. BT based Sky Connect users are "safe".

They'll need to modify the two models of Netgear routers' firmware to support MER if they want to move everyone over, and I don't think even the standard Netgear firmware supports MER, so it would need a little bit of work.

I think the Netgear routers are in need of a firmware upgrade anyway though, as they still don't support WPA2, given the the MAC poisoning exploits against wpa-psk, and the demo software being released to crack WPA-PSK keys in minutes using distributed computing.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Thanks

edit** Fuzzy beat me to the post and already answered some of my q's !!!!!!

oh okay...

Does that mean they just automatically scan and can see which router (eg the sagem) is being used, then just change you over ?

Or does it require a FW update first or something.

I'm just trying to find out, as I i'm using my own router, which does support MAC address spoofing under PPPoE.
      I was originally sent a Sagem router by Sky, but subsequently bought a Sky Netgear Dg834gt.
      I'm using the password from the Netgear to log onto my Sky ADSL at the moment.

I wonder how it will effect me or what I can do to prepare myself (if anything )

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      Sagem and D-link users on the new Alcatel MSANs at the moment.
      Does that mean those of us who "opted out" of the SVBN are safe aswell ?

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I would guess that the updated firmware either makes the router connect using PPPoA and check a sky configuration server, which tells it to re-connect and use MER in future; or else it attempts to connect using MER first, and if it fails because it is not on the new SVBN, it then attempts to connect using PPPoA. But, I suspect the former is the more likely.

Sky have set it up so that MER connections use a separate virtual circuit, so your line will currently still support either, in fact if you had a suitable router, it just might be possible to have two connections with separate IP addresses at the same time, but I'm certain even if that worked, Sky would cease the service of anyone who tried it.

From what I've read, I think MER connects to the ISP using 1483 bridge mode (IPoEoA), and the router performs NAT on the lan side. I also read somewhere that it is possible to have it set up to authenticate using DHCP (which might make using a non-sky router configured for MER more tricky), although I don't know if Sky are doing that.

Anyway, unless Sky plan on blocking PPPoA access, then you should be ok. If they did block PPPoA, it might be possible to use a router that supports MER and spoof the WAN MAC, or configure your router in 1483 bridge mode, and use a cable router to perform NAT, but as yet, I haven't seen any posts by anyone who has managed to connect a non-sky router using anything other than PPPoA.

hyped0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rosendale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ Multiroom
      Thanks

As far as I know so far, I've been using a dynamic IP for quite some time now and now I've pretty much been stuck using the same IP for about 2 months now even leaving it overnight hasn't helped, but I couldn't careless anyways because I prefer that than having a dynamic IP that sometimes ruins my skype calls.

Ever since my router changed over to MER, it has been much more stable than it ever has been.

Also when it's stuck on MER, I've also noticed that my IP changed to 2.x.x.x .

Although I do worry about getting hacked because I got the same IP.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Although I do worry about getting hacked because I got the same IP.
      Make sure that Respond to Ping is disabled in your router, it makes it harder to find, therefore hack. Serious hackers are not much interested in a home router, but junior blackhats may try, just for practise.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I wonder if the fact that IPv4 has run out of addresses to allocate has any bearing on this issue?

Perhaps previously an ISP could rely on a 5% margin (or something) is now no a luxury that companies can afford. Sky, along with many other UK ISPs is increasing it's customer base, but it will shortly run out of addresses that can be allocated.

The other issue is perhaps the Digital Economy Act 2010. Past posts have indicated that Sky was unable to track many users who were connected to specific IP addresses at specific moments.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

snuffs99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Seems D-link routers on firmware 2.04 are stuck on the MER network, no amount of resets helped me so i contacted sky and a really helpful guy took near on an hour trying to help and sort the problem, he even came here and read these threads to get an idea of exactly what i was on about etc........Anyways after much talking with techs etc he informed me (already knew but hey ho) that sky are moving everyone over to MER (IPoE) eventually and will also be giving static IP's too. As some suspect its a move on skys part to prevent the use of 3rd party routers etc on their network. It seems atm that with the segams (2.8) your able to do a hard reset and it should connect back to PPPoA (for the time being)...D-Link on the other hand seem to be stuck on MER with a static IP once they have the 2.04 firmware (mine certainly is). I also notice my subnet has changed from 255.255.255.255 to 255.255.255.192 so i'm assuming thats the newer (MER) part of their network.

One thing i must also mention is that during my call with sky one of the reasons i wanted it back with PPPoA was MER was unstable when playing games (which it is for me) so they changed my profile to "gamer" and i gained just over an extra 1MB on my speed.... now thats great n all that but why was it not 13365 before they changed my profile, surely if my line is capable (which it must be) then it should already be that speed no?? Seems i'm stuck on MER now with a static IP so see how it goes i suppose.

Re:

Snuffs

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Doesn't sounds good, haven't heard anything about changing to MER

Suppose i am in tier 1 though and we are usually the last to know anything.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)