Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

This is a discussion on Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RevXaisks I'll give that a try tonight. Before the firmware upgrade? So my router has been updated ...

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Network type changed to MER. No longer Dynamic IP?

Quote Originally Posted by RevXaisks View Post
      I'll give that a try tonight. Before the firmware upgrade? So my router has been updated then. Just out of curiosity and reference, what version was the extraction possible?
      I wrote my "hack" for sky_1.11

Had you needed to obtain the password, it still might be possible to temporarily downgrade, by putting the router in update mode and using the dlink firmware on the CD, but only if the current firmware doesn't block doing that. Flashing can be risky though, as can restoring this particular router's configuration settings from a back up, or so I've found!

2. Advertisement
      RevXaisks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDMS (Dumfries)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Belkin F5D8636-4A-H v2
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      I prefer a dynamic IP address myself, for reasons of privacy especially while browsing and for avoiding excessively targeted and repetitive advertising. Still Sky's IP addresses have never been that dynamic - I think for a long time only the last octet of mine would ever change, and you can identify which exchange and therefor which town from a user's IP address.

Also when I had a free static IP address with an ISP in the past, I was targeted with DOS attacks by a usenet troll.
      Well, I took your advice. It seems my IP address was "very sticky" indeed.
      Turned the router off for a good 6 hours.

It's now a new IP.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      I wrote my "hack" for sky_1.11

Had you needed to obtain the password, it still might be possible to temporarily downgrade, by putting the router in update mode and using the dlink firmware on the CD, but only if the current firmware doesn't block doing that. Flashing can be risky though, as can restoring this particular router's configuration settings from a back up, or so I've found!
      I did extract the username and password prior. I just have to find it..... it's somewhere in this hard drive. Lol.......

Even if I do, with the connection being a MER. Say I do use a router, spoof the mac address on the unit. Use the username and password. The router will connect using PPPoA, but the line is still on MER. Right?

Would it even work?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Special thanks to:
      IWasNotTheEnemy, Isitme, fuzzy logic

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I don't think PPPoA will work if the line is configured to MER.

It might be worth trying to configure your own router under PPPoE. Encapsulation can be set to either PPPoE LLC or PPPoE VC-Mux on my old Edimax router. Both allow for MAC spoofing.

Since my connection hasn't been changed to MER, I can't test the settings.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, I took your advice. It seems my IP address was "very sticky" indeed.
      Turned the router off for a good 6 hours.

It's now a new IP.

I did extract the username and password prior. I just have to find it..... it's somewhere in this hard drive. Lol.......

Even if I do, with the connection being a MER. Say I do use a router, spoof the mac address on the unit. Use the username and password. The router will connect using PPPoA, but the line is still on MER. Right?

Would it even work?
      Sky are using a different Virtual Circuit for MER based connections (VCI = Virtual Circuit Indicator), so I think it quite likely that you would be able to connect using either, but the only sure way to find out is to try it with a non-sky router.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I did extract the username and password prior.

Would it even work?
      Not sure if this will be helpful to you.

I was using the D-Link router that Sky send out, but noticed a small drop in my download speeds since Sky upgraded the firmware on the router to 2.04, and when this update to 2.04 happened I was also switched on to MER (previously I was on PPPoA).

A while back I had extracted the username and password from the D-Link router, so I used these in my Netgear DG834GT (which I used to use with my old ISP before I moved to Sky). I entered the username and password into the appropriate section on the DG834GT setup page and I spoofed the ADSL MAC address to the same one that the Sky D-Link router uses.

Now my connection (with the Netgear) shows PPPoA again, and I have seen my download speed increase to the level I was seeing prior to the 2.04 firmware update and the move to MER on the Sky D-Link router.

spuds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have another reason I would like to get back to the PPPoA connection.

My company set up an L2TP server for our VPN connection into the network. For whatever reason, after a day or so, the L2TP connection will fail to establish. If I rebooted my D-Link router and was assigned a different IP address, then the L2TP connection would work for another day or so. I would just keep doing this as a work around since no one could figure out why this was happening.

Now that Sky changed my connection type to MER, rebooting the DSL router does not get me back my L2TP VPN any more.

Of course the real answer is to figure out why the L2TP connection starts failing to establish properly. No one can pin point the issue with Sky but it sure seems odd that after a while, the currently assigned IP Address to our DSL router seems to be the problem. Smells like someone is blocking the address.

I guess I have two options:
      1) Continue to diagnose tcpdumps and learn the gory details of L2TP.
      2) Try to force the DSL router to give me a new IP Address. (I'd rather not turn off the DSL router every night just to get a new IP Address)

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
      I guess I have two options:
      1) Continue to diagnose tcpdumps and learn the gory details of L2TP.
      2) Try to force the DSL router to give me a new IP Address. (I'd rather not turn off the DSL router every night just to get a new IP Address)

Any other suggestions are welcome.
      How about #3?

DynDNS.org?

Most routers (including Sky's) support this. Normally within a few minutes of your router reconnecting, it will automatically update the DynDNS server.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not sure how this would help?

The issue is having a permanent IP Address vs. being able to force getting a new IP Address by rebooting the DSL Router.

DynDNS is simply a tool to help pin a DNS name to a dynamic IP Address.
      From what I've seen in this thread and a few others, some folks don't want a Permanent IP Address assigned to their DSL router.

I wouldn't care which one I had if the L2TP connection would reliably connect using either one.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Funny how other ISPs charge you for a static IP whereas on Sky you're getting it free!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was thinking the same. :-)

I would think this was a good thing if I could just get the #@#$% L2TP stuff working with a permanent IP address.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)