Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speeds and iPhone 4 problems.....

This is a discussion on Slow speeds and iPhone 4 problems..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have Sky Broadband unlimited. Until last week when I got my iPhone 4 I never really paid any attention ...

oggy_c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow speeds and iPhone 4 problems.....

I have Sky Broadband unlimited. Until last week when I got my iPhone 4 I never really paid any attention to my speeds and settings. I'm not after specific info for my iPhone as I believe this is a common fault, which I am investigating separately, but it's worth mentioning that I never had any speed issues with my old 3G iPhone. The 4 is only usable with basic web stuff, YouTube; not a chance - We also have the same issues with my wife's iPhone 4 - Any suggestions on this would be great.

Back to my router.

Here's the background. When we moved into the house there wasn't a Master socket so I bought and installed one (only now do I realise this is illegal). We've always had a really faint home phone, but this has never really been an issue as we rarely use it. I'm loathed to pay out the price of a BT engineer to fit one so I have purchased a NTE5 myself which I should have in a couple of days. Maybe after this has been installed, and depending on the results I might have to give BT a call. The Modem is plugged into the master socket with the supplied grey cable and for the purposes of this test everything else in the house has been disconnected. The WiFi signal on the laptop is good.

I have the Netgear DG834GT with software version V1.03.87.

What I've done, so far:

Ran the TCP optimiser.
      Changed router channels (as I pick up about 6 other sky routers)
      Rebooted the modem

The speed did increase slightly when I ran the optimiser, but hardly noteworthy.

To my speeds, taken from the router:

Downstream - 2048 kbps
      Line Att. - 59.0 db
      Noise - 17.3 db

Upstream - 608 kbps
      Line Att. - 31.5 db
      Noise - 14.0 db

Speedtest from Speedtest.net (on laptop):

Download - 1.71 mb/s
      Upload - 0.50 mb/s
      Ping - 53ms

Speedtest using the Speedtest iPhone App:

Download - 1.65 mb/s
      Upload - 0.50 mb/s
      Ping - 118 ms

As I previously mentioned I am in the process of having the master socket replaced for a NTE5, but after this I'm not sure what I should do?
      I'm not sure if my iPhone speed is related or if this is a totally separate issue.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Slow speeds and iPhone 4 problems.....

I've discovered by switching 'Mode' to G instead of the standard G + N in the route settings that I've significantly improved my iPhone's speed.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have very high noise margins which suggests you could get more speed. Call Sky and ask them to configure your line for its best speed. You could also ask them to try your line on ADSL2+, it may be good enough to support the faster mode.

The difference between 1.71 and 1.65 is only .06, which is quite acceptable for wireless speeds in different devices. With a wired connection you would probably get around 1800+kbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

WiFi is notoriously variable. The closer you are to the source, the better the speed, but it can vary between adapters.

Could I ask that you plug your router into the Test socket and post the router stats from there?

Remember too that the ADSL micro filter should be the first thing plugged into the socket, with the router plugged into the 'Modem' socket.

Ideally any speed tests should be done with a wired connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've tried plugging straight into the master (with a filter) and didn't see much variation.

Just got off the phone to Sky in India and they increased by BB by 1MB. It's not as fast as I'd like but certainly alot better than before and now with the Mode changed on my router I can acutally use my iPhone on Wi-Fi.

Getting there.....
      Last edited by oggy_c; 26-02-11 at 01:33 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Arrrgghh!!

This is driving me mad. Seems both iphone 4's are barely working on wifi, using the speedtest app both are showing 0.07mb speeds whereas yesterday they were up at 2.5mb. What's changed and why are both acting the same? Laptop is working fine.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you have wireless interference. Download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Do this when the speed is low as many do not have their wireless network enabled all the time. Set your router channel to one as far from those in use as possible. Channel 13 is often good as few use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.