Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Slow Speeds, considering changing

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds, considering changing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; soo what is the conclusion? Your internal wiring is interfering badly with your broadband. It does not make much difference ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow Speeds, considering changing

soo what is the conclusion?
      Your internal wiring is interfering badly with your broadband. It does not make much difference on the package you are on, but it would if you moved to an LLU provider. Fit and use a filtered faceplate to get the best out of your connection. I would think with an LLU Provider, on ADSL2+, you would get 16-18Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      urismarine is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your internal wiring is interfering badly with your broadband. It does not make much difference on the package you are on, but it would if you moved to an LLU provider. Fit and use a filtered faceplate to get the best out of your connection. I would think with an LLU Provider, on ADSL2+, you would get 16-18Mb.
      How do faceplates work? What makes them better than plugin filters? And do you know of any hacks to tweak my connection?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Their main function is to isolate the internal wiring from the broadband signal. The wiring in extensions can act like an aerial picking up interference, this increases the noise on the line which in turn reduces the speed of the connection. Also in good quality faceplates the built in filter is of a higher quality than most plug in filters. They also reduce the numbers of joints the signal has to pass through..

If you want help with your connection, open a thread in the Broadband Help section including your router stats. Please do not add on to an existing thread as this only causes confusion.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234