Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant.

This is a discussion on ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, Posted a while back about ridiclous ping times from 430pm-11pm daily, finally saw a update Sky are upgrading at ...

zachary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant.

Hey,

Posted a while back about ridiclous ping times from 430pm-11pm daily, finally saw a update Sky are upgrading at my exchange recently....and this has been going on since I got connected to sky 8 weeks ago. Now, I'm not one to complain usually...but having the internet barely unuseable for that whole period after I finish work till I go to bed is out of order. Having 20 times less speed and pings of over 300ms is unacceptable.

Question is..., how LONG do they want to take ''upgrading''. Anyone have any experience? Apparently a few exchanges in Wales had the same issues, same upgrades being done. I can't actually comprehend why it's taken 8 weeks, and i've only just seen the update notice posted this week which is probably another 6 months of this.

Anyone ''in the know'' have any idea what this involves? Why it takes weeks on end of constantly unacceptable speeds and pings to upgrade a telephone exchange? I'm obviously ignorant and have no idea what takes place but the time frame is frankly ridiclous to pass off as a 'minor issue'. I'd understand 2 weeks max to upgrade a few exchanges...but months? Really Sky? Lazy. I should have been paying half what I have, because tbh i've been getting half a service. Well...not even that. Any harm in ringing up for money of bills? I know some people have been successful.

/rant over.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant.

Perhaps some of those affected could start calling Sky again?

You are right that these issues have gone on for several weeks now and Sky really should be keeping everyone updated better.

The initial fixes didn't cure the issue.

I guess that Sky are a victim of their own success and this is the result.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've called a few times, been told it's a issue my end even though my exchange is in the list thats being ''upgraded''. Ridiclous I think. Honestly, they can increase my ping times all day long, but when I come home from work till past 11pm where I can barely use the internet to get anything done, it's unacceptable.

I don't understand what ''upgrading at the exchange'' entails so I can't really judge, but surely it's not a monthly process, honestly theres like 12 exchanges on the list, most North East, surely it does not take weeks to finish these upgrades? And I don't understand why my ping can go from 50ms, too 350ms in the space of half a hour. I was on AOHELL omgomg worst internet ever I was told...except I never got throttled, never hit a download limit, had lower pings than I do even when the sky ping settles...

It's fustrating more than anything, all you get is ''we are upgrading'', with no time frame and from other forum users posts it can take months. It's like they hope nobody will notice, i'd not be so angry about it if they said in some generic message ''yes your exchange is getting upgraded, this is happening, and that is happening, it will be done by _____ date, thanks''

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I believe the issue is to do with shear network traffic and the times you are using it is when the network is at is busiest.

I know have purchased new exchnage equipment for the affected exchnages and have bee doing work on these exchnages in the early hours of the morning. A lot of exchnages are now OK but some of the exchnage in North Wales aren't finished yet

Thanks

FYI- An update from sky on the issue on 10th Feb.

10 Feb 2011 - 10:45

We apologise for the reduction in broadband speeds that some Sky Broadband customers in Cheshire and North Wales have been experiencing in the evening.

We are carrying out work to upgrade our equipment in the affected areas.

The first phase of this work was completed on 28 January and there has been some improvement in performance. The next phase of work should be completed by the end of this week and the majority of customers’ speeds should return to normal service.

However, while customers in the following exchange areas will see some improvement, they may not return to normal service until further upgrades are completed in March.

Bangor
      Bethseda
      Holyhead
      Llangefni
      Llanberis
      Menai Bridge
      Penygroes
      Wrexham

We will continue to post updates here and the Sky Help Forum for each of the affected areas as soon as we know when the upgrades will be completed

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah there was one posted after that one with my exchange in the list, all over the North East. Stockton, Darlington etc..thats my problem tbh....the Wales situation has been on going for weeks and they're promised March?? Further upgrades? C'mon Sky get your fingers out. What hope do I have if they're promised March??

This is the message/exchanges with planned upgrades. LOL @ ''Delays in extra equipment'', seriously Sky? My ping is now at 100ms+, ****ing great.

Sky Broadband Update

Customers in the following areas may have noticed a reduction in their broadband speeds at peak times recently. We’re sorry for the disruption to our normal service, in some instances web browsing and downloads are taking longer than usual and customers may also notice this impacting on their Sky Anytime+ service.

This issue is partly due to significant increases in the number of new customers joining Sky Broadband in the areas affected, combined with unplanned delays in the extra equipment we have ordered to accommodate them.

Areas currently affected:

Elstree, St Albans, Welwyn Garden, Stevenage, Welwyn

Leatherhead, Crawley, East Grinstead, Horley, Horsham, Billingshurst, Lingfield

Stockton, Darlington, Aycliffe, Bishop Auckland, Spennymoor, Northallerton, Whitby

Thanks

I think that your area cropped up after the rest and they have then had to order more equipment to accomodate. Im assuming here but i think the equipment and resource to resolve the issue will be dealt with on a basis of how many customer its effecting. They also have the constraints of when they do the work. It only ever happens from midnight to 6am as when they are doing the work all the customers on the particualr card in the exchnage do down which presents its own issues.

Don't get me wrong it has been going on for a while and I know how you feel totally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
      I've called a few times, been told it's a issue my end even though my exchange is in the list thats being ''upgraded''. Ridiclous...
      Did you get through to 'tier 2' or CST?

The first level seem to only want to fob people off.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm thinking it was just the first level. Pretty generic responses. Even if I got one of the better ones it would have made no difference other than them telling me work is being carried out on my exchange. Ping is now at 150ms and steadily rising along with internet slow-down. There goes any hope of relaxing with a beer playing some Xbox Live after work for the...8th week running.

It's fustrating more than anything...esp. as my Line Stats are really good and I have a 14.5db downstream and 9db upsteam attenuation and high noise margins. This is my stats as of now, cmd prompt pinging to bbc.co.uk is heading for 200ms right now.

These are actually good for this time of day believe it or not.

Stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16380 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.5db 9.0db
      Noise Margin 7.8db 15.7db

Could probably get a boost on connection speed but tbh ping > connection speed right now. I'd have thought with them stats i'd get a decent ping living next door to my exchange pretty much, but meh.

Heres my ping half hour later.

Last edited by zachary; 21-02-11 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks

It has been mentioned in another thread, and it comes from those who seem to know the ropes:

You must get through to CST (Customer Solutions Team)

What I've added it that should Sky pay out compensation, then registering a complaint will help. This is below an acceptable standard and is taking too long to resolve.

Put it in writing & copy the letter to Ofcom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast