Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant.

This is a discussion on ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As Subbie has said make sure you have the complaint logged in writing backing this up with when you first ...

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ping times. mehhhhhh. /rant.

As Subbie has said make sure you have the complaint logged in writing backing this up with when you first reported the issue. If any compensation is paid they will only do this to customers who have called to report the issue and logged the complaint. Anyone who hasn't done this doesn;t stand a chance as Sky will say that if they didn't report an issue how could they fix it even with a common fault like this. As well as this the more people who raise a complaint the quicker it will get sorted. As mentioned earlier they will have limited new equipment (whilst waiting for more) and limited engineers so it is likely these issues are being tackled on the severiety and the exchnages with the most customers complaining about the issue will be dealt with first

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Hi, I was one of the affected parties in North Wales, also I helped others get the original issue recognised by Sky as an actual problem. Thankfully, and fingers (still) crossed - My exchange has been trouble-free for just over a week now!
      Now the bad news - you really must get through to CST and get a fault ticket raised - this in itself can be difficult when faced with an arrogant Tier 1 agent. My only advice would be to not be afraid to hang up and start again if you're not getting anywhere!
      Second bit of bad news - even once you have a ticket, you'll still just be waiting! the best you can do is head over to the official Sky forum to the main thread (it's massive - you can't miss it) and start posting info and stats.
      And for my final piece of bad news..... Initially this only showed as affecting North Wales / North West, and at the time a couple of us summised that it was the launch of Anytime+ that had kicked Sky's capacity right in the balls - this however, was played down a lot, but still hung around as a definately maybe...... At the time, I raisied the premise that if Anytime+ was actually to blame, the continuing roll-out and ongoing take-up would eventually mean that the problem would spread to more and more areas as more people signed up and started downloading.....
      Now, customers in several dozen exchanges have started reporting problems, which, to their credit, Sky are working to upgrade those affected....
      If I am right, it will keep spreading until everywhere gets upgraded!

zachary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll get onto Sky as much as I can. It's ridiclous but buisness I guess that they're just fobbing me off telling me it's something my end and it's a minor issue. I don't think too many new customers and Sky Anytime+ are any excuse for it though, they should have pre planned it, surely? It's unfair on existing customers getting sub par internet connection because of new customers. Again, it's buisness but they should really deal with their own problems for their valued customers like people who have been with Sky for years. It's like taking a car in for repair and being told it's gonna be 8 weeks late because they've taken on to many jobs. Bad anicdote maybe but you get the point.

Seriously. Less than a hour later however...

2 Minutes later.

Nearly back to normal. Still not the best I've had but compared to my posts on page one...And typically, I have a early start so can't take advantage of the service I expect...when I'm sleeping.

Thanks Sky.
      Last edited by zachary; 22-02-11 at 12:02 AM.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

TBH, no-one has really believed the 'too many new customers' line - unless they all started downloading and maxing out their connections as soon as they were online!
      I believe the Sky set-ups in each exchange do not allow for too many connections - once they're full, then they're full, so there's no chance of being surprised by a sharp increase in the number of subscribers; on the other hand if you suddenly launch a bandwidth-hogging service that allows all existing customers to max-out their connections when they're at home and watching TV - in the evenings no-less!, then you could suddenly find that the network that coped before-hand, suddenly can't cope any more!!
      This was the main crux of our argument btw!!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You are quite right Jayhab. Us mere mortals don't get to see the traffic reports, sales figures or whether Anytime+ is being hammered.

Personally I think that it is a combination of the above that caught BSkyB a little unprepared.

The advertising campaign that Sky was running was a very good offer at the end of the day. 19.50 for a telephone line, BB & TV, when only a little while ago I was paying BT around 15/mnth just for line rental.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

The main thing that bugs me in this whole thing is planning. If it is something to do with the Anytime + it's pretty pathetic planning when even your average joe could work out what would happen when a new bandwidth hogging service comes out. It's funny how on some ISP's it's frown'd upon and has strict download limits, because they understand this stuff happens. Sky seem to have bitten of more than they can chew if this is the case.

Assuming Anytime + is the case, it's funny how i'd get frowned upon downloading gb's a month of legit stuff before, essentially hogging everyones bandwidth, but now heres a service even your grandma can use which does the exact same, on the same lines.

Concerning. Most online applications will not perform well but should function in some capacity. Try testing to other servers to verify the result. You might need to contact your ISP for help.

Yes Sky.

Frankly ridiclous at 8.30pm, seriously. For a deal that I pay for after being promised no peak time capping. It's basically false advertisment. Like I said previously, the main problem I have is obviously it's peak time for a reason but I have to wait till 11pm at night for the internet connection I pay for. Which is not feasable when I have a early start.

So much rage

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Foresight is a wonderful gift.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Indeed.

Another wonderful night with Sky Broadband, was pinging 15-20ms lower than the settled ping earlier (35ms instead of 50+ms). Was getting 15mb down 0.80 up on speedtest. Got my hopes up, comes 7pm

Hats of to ya sky, providing me with a quality service as always.

I know they CAN sort it, but the fact they seem disinterested is making me want to change ISPs again and i'm talking everyone I know out of joining Sky Bb, every little helps.

UPDATE : Pingtest a hour later, Sky on form as usual raising my ping a futher 100ms for good measure.

UPDATE : Next day, yet again Sky excel themselves with ruining another nights internet for me. Actually gonna change ISP because this is ridiclous now.

Last edited by zachary; 24-02-11 at 09:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12