Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky broadband stream speed

This is a discussion on Sky broadband stream speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For some reason flats have more problems with broadband than individual houses. Probably because everything comes in through one box ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband stream speed

For some reason flats have more problems with broadband than individual houses. Probably because everything comes in through one box and is distributed from there to the individual flats and often mistakes are made when choosing which cables to connect. It is possible to mix up the wire pairs and this can have a very bad effect on broadband. If you are on friendly terms with the other occupiers, you might ask them what their broadband is like. They should all have about the same attenuation as you so should be getting 16Mb+. If they are all getting a poor result then you should push for BTO to come in and sort things out. If there is only one of your neighbours getting a poor result, then it is possible his pair is crossed with yours, again you should get BTO in to sort it out.

All you can do yourself is find the first socket on your phone circuit and try the stats there. If you wanted to go further, you would have to remove the faceplate and disconnect the wires going to your extension and try the stats again with only the incoming wires connected. If you decide to do this, take photos of how the wiring is connected so you can replace it and get a disposable krone tool so the wires can be replaced properly.
      ADSL Nation LTD.

Maybe Dave from Runitdirect will comment later.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      HanleyHouse209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

my fd who live just upstairs is getting a speed of 6xxx which is a lot better than mine

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If he/she is with an LLU provider like Sky that is not really good enough. As I said anyone in the same building as you should have around 16Mb. See if you can find out what your other neighbours have.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12