Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgraded to unlimited 20MB from 8Mb, connection got slower!

This is a discussion on Upgraded to unlimited 20MB from 8Mb, connection got slower! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I am a new member here and thought I'd post up my router stats (old white sky router). ...

propus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upgraded to unlimited 20MB from 8Mb, connection got slower!

Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and thought I'd post up my router stats (old white sky router). I upgraded last year from Sky's 8MB, 40GB per month package to the Unlimited upto 20MB connection. I have been seeing speeds of 8MB on my old package for years. As soon as I upgraded my connection jumped up to as high as around 14MB within a day or two then it died down to 2MB!! It sat there for several weeks until I called sky who told me my connection was only good for 6MB. How can this be when I have had 8MB for years!!!! Anyway lots of phone calls, new router sent from sky, several visits from BT and now I'm up and running again. My speed appears to be capped at 9210kbps according to skys website, but I'm not sure if I should be able to get more. My stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9210 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 14.1 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 27.5 db

This is with the old white sky router since the new black one only lasted a couple of months and packed in. I've requested a new one be sent under warranty. Should the new router get me some better speeds? From what I've read on this forum I 'think' I should be getting better speeds than I currently am.

Any comments, suggestions, info etc is very welcome.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Upgraded to unlimited 20MB from 8Mb, connection got slower!

You should certainly have more upstream, even as you are. However your noise margin suggests you will not get much more downstream. You say you were on Sky's 8Mb40Gb package. If you were your would be on Connect which is BTs ADSLMax service. This operates on G.DMT, not ADSL2+ which you are now on. This faster mode requires a 'cleaner' line than the slow mode, so any small faults on your line will be amplified. Plug into your Test socket using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky and repost your stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

A good line with your attenuation will support 16Mb+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

propus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Those stats are from my master socket. I have the old lcu2 (I think that is what it is) type master. The ring wire is disconnected. There are no phones, no sky box, no answer machine or anything connected. I have a second socket in the spare room upstairs. There are filters in both master and extension sockets. BT came back yesterday and changed the cable outside running from the pole to the house because the line was randomly noisy during bad weather. Do you think the speed will automatically improve once the link has been stable for a few days? The speed used to drop to about 1-2MB/s every other night during this winter. After BT left the snr went from 6 to the 8db I posted. I have seen upload speeds of around 0.75MB/s in the past, but this also goes up and down randomly. I'm going to keep checking the stats over the next few days to see if I notice any changes.
      What down and up speeds would you expect with my current stats? Am I right in saying I should see about 0.8 up and as much as about 12 down?

Sorry, I didn't see your final line on your post. I'm reading this on my phone. So I should be good for 16+? Is it worth asking sky to reset my connection since BT have made some changes?

Also, when the speed dropped I would plug in a phone to check if the line was noisy. It always was noisy when the speed dropped. Right now the line is crystal clear. The phone is disconnected and packed away back in the cupboard. I only pay line rental so I can get internet, grrrrrrr.

Ta
      Last edited by propus; 21-02-11 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Stoopid iPhone!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you think the speed will automatically improve once the link has been stable for a few days?
      No this does not happen with LLU. Any improvement is immediately applied, either as improved speed or an increased noise margin. What are your stats now that the line has been fixed?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I would place a call to Sky. Initially you will speak to Tier 1. So they don't have you jumping through hoops when there is no need. Explain to them that you have recently had a line fault and BTO have been out to repair the line. Then advise them that CST asked you to call back after BT had been out to have your line manually configured. As Tier 1 can't reconfigure your line they will pass you though to CST who can manually configure your line now it is fault free. As already stated by isi it wont automatically correct itslelf on LLU

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unless some high INP been set on that line, I can't see it going much higher at all. However, give Sky a call and see what they can do for you.