Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Connect problems STILL after DLM

This is a discussion on Sky Connect problems STILL after DLM within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys new here. I've had Sky Connect now for over 2 weeks and my DLM period, as far as ...

EltA34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: eltonas34@gmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Connect problems STILL after DLM

Hi guys new here.

I've had Sky Connect now for over 2 weeks and my DLM period, as far as I am aware, is finished.

But since I've had the connection I am lucky to get speeds above dial-up or ISDN. I used to live 300 metres up the road and could get 2mb. Unfortunately I have had a couple of power cuts during DLM so this may have messed the process up, as every time the router has reset, the connection is diabolical. I am on the Caernarfon exchange and live in Llanrug, North Wales which is around 4 miles by road, but it's about 3 ish as the crow flies to the exchange.

I've already called Sky who have actually confirmed that the line is capable of much faster speeds and using the ADSL Speedchecker here, that states the line is capable of up to 5mb?? Upload speeds are normal at 46.5kB/s. Fastest I've had down is 15.6kB/s, which is frankly unacceptable. Sky told me to ring them after the date my DLM should finish and told me they should be able to sort it, manually.

I have tried the test socket, unplugged the phone from the filter and checked the wiring. The local exchange has not been upgraded, hence why I can only get Connect. I am toying with buying a new faceplate filter, but I'm not sure this will make any difference.

It beggars belief that in 2010, we are STILL getting speeds from 10 years ago on relatively NEW technology, and for 17.99 a month it's like a smack in the face. ISPs should not be charging that kind of money for these kinds of connection speeds. I am not sure wether to give Sky the benefit of the doubt, or just jump ship now, but just concerned I'll have the same problems with another ISP as the exchange is through BT wholesale anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I have tried the BT speedtester but it never works and always returns an error.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Sky Connect problems STILL after DLM

A quick search on this forum would have revealed the answer.

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sorry but there is very little anyone can do until Sky purchases more bandwidth.

The recommendation is to get your MAC code from Sky & find a better ISP for your telephone exchange.

Take a look at SamKnows to see if any other company has a presence in your telephone exchange. They are likely to offer the best speed.

Sorry, not a lot else anyone here can do.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You do not run DLM on Sky Connect as it is a rebadged BT product you use thier RAMBO system which actually prefers the router to resync once a day.

The main problem you have is that you are on the worst broadband package in the UK which is Sky Connect, if you had done some research before you signed up you would certainly have stayed clear of it.

The only option if you want anything near a useable broadband connection is to get your MAC code and move to a better managed package.

If you cannot get any other LLU suppliers in your exchange then consider:- Plusnet, Zen or IdNet, all these use the same BT exchange equipment but maintain the network much better.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky told me to ring them after the date my DLM should finish and told me they should be able to sort it, manually.
      That rather shows how ignorant some of the Sky help staff are about Connect. Sky can do virtually nothing about a Connect line, all they can do is contact BT about it and they are always reluctant to do that for some reason.

just concerned I'll have the same problems with another ISP as the exchange is through BT wholesale anyway.
      As Smithy says, other ISPs manage their network better than Sky and are able to give a much better service. Mainly as they pay for it and their Help staff actually talk to BT on your behalf as soon as a problem is detected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

OK I've since been on the phone to Sky and he asked me to reset the router; suddenly my downstream went to over 3.2mb. Then he asked me to unplug and plug BACK in to test socket. I did this, lost 3.2mb speed back to dial-up. Swapped back while I waited for him to call me back, still dial up speeds. It has been escalated as he said my line is certainly capable of much faster speeds and I shouldn't accept speeds from 'cave man times' to quote; I await the phone call.

Now at this very moment, my line/router is polling every 10 seconds and the downstream is currently 3200kbps. Nice, perfect for me. BUT. Any download tests are still maxing out at 16.5kB/s. What gives!? The router is resetting itself every few intervals (but very quickly!), taking all stats to zero. When it returns, it's back to over 3mb. Are Sky/BT fiddling with this as I type, hence the re-setting?

So, I can surmise from this that my line IS perfectly capable of 3mb, yet I cannot get above 16.5kB/s download speed. I am so frustrated by all this.

EDIT: currently downloading a 93mb driver file and is running at 136kB/s. Started at around 200kB/s. So, why do these HTTP tests not show my realistic speeds?? Very confused....as now thew download is slowing down as I speak and is at 75kB/s.....72.....69.....hmmm.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You obviously haven't taken any notice of the posts above regarding the package you are on so I will try again.

Sky Connect is way over capacity, this means that the line will sync at the highest speed it can but then when it actually comes to real time downloads there is not enough capacity for that speed to be reached.

Consider it like a 20mile tailback on the motorway, you could easily hit 70mph if the road was clear but during a traffic jam the speeds drop to a near standstill.

This will be much worse during peak hours, 5pm-midnight and weekends.

THE ONLY SOLOUTION IS TO MOVE ISP!!! ringing Sky, swapping routers, changing setup even involving BT will NOT help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky can't fiddle with anything on your line, only BT can do that. With the package you are on, BTs ADSLMax, you will not see an immediate increase in speed. For an increase your Profile has to reset, this can take from 1 hour up to 3 days, to reset. You will still be throttled at peak times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

The case would have been escalated to CST. The problem they are going to have in the first instance is that when they try testing your circuit via BT's testing tool it will advise them that your line is currently in the testing stages. All you can do now is wait for the 10 days testing period to end. When CST call you back ask them to check the day the training period end and then ask them to set a call back up to your self for the day after. They can then test the circuit via BT's testing system and then raise a fault if it still hasn't sorted itself out. Who ever advised you to call back after 10 days and they will re configure it manually was talking out of their backsides. As previously advised this is a BT product with Sky's name on it. They will be able to get you higher speeds than the once currently being recived but its a waiting game for now. When you find the excact date and get a call back agreed start running speed tests from Test Result 24 hours before CST call you back. Do several speed tests at different times of the day. For connect customers this speed test actually feeds into the testing system BT/Sky use for this product so they will be able to validate the speeds you are getting.

Thanks

Thanks for the further replies guys. Although I appreciate your response smithy99; there's no need to patronise. I'm NOT stupid and I understand that a connection will be slow when it's busy due to the amount of traffic going through the exchange, or 'motorway', as you put it. I'm not a broadband expert but I understand the basics, yet I read every response, however, I do not appreciate being patronised.

I shall wait out and see how the line behaves from now and wait for CST to contact me.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Test taken at 17:50; peak time :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast