Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband setup problem

This is a discussion on Sky broadband setup problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First of all folks I've just joined so if I've posted this to the wrong group don't bit by head ...

Beowulf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky broadband setup problem

First of all folks I've just joined so if I've posted this to the wrong group don't bit by head off okay. Cheers!

Okay my situation is this. I was previously with AOL and BT for my phone. AOL was giving me problems and an ex girlfriend was giving me grief on the phone. She used to ring at all hours and I'm a shift worker. Anyway I decided that it was time for a change and after checking all available ISP's in my area settled on Sky. I signed up in January and was activated on February 4th.

I signed up for Broadband Unlimited, Sky Talk and Sky Line Rental and at the time I signed up I specifically requested that my phone number be changed. Having had my service activated on 4th February I was surprised that my phone number was still the same so I rang an adviser who checked into it and found that the person I signed up with had made a note that I didnít want my number changed! Okay I said so this idiot was having a bad day and screwed up, I still need my number changed.

The adviser said that the only way this could be done was to deactivate my account and reactivate it again which could take up to 28 days. I have explained that I do work or an environmental NGO in Malta and that I canít afford to be without email or internet access for a day let alone a month. Have any of you folks ever come across a situation where someone has been signed up and they have forgotten to change his phone number? I've been trying ever since to get someone at Sky to address this problem with no luck. All I get are automated responses. I told the adviser that I wanted to complain to someone high up and he gave me the following email address; crtexec@bskyb.com Needless to say it's a fake.

For the record I love the Sky broadband. It's stable and fast and has given me no problems. I don't want to have to ditch it but the way I see it the only option I have of maintaining an uninterrupted service and getting my phone number changed is to switch to another ISP. If I do that the switchover will take place in a day rather than a month! I just hate having to do this over the head of some idiot not doing his job right. Any ideas folks? (Sorry for the length of this)

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband setup problem

If you want to complain then the exec support team can be got to at:

jeremy.darroch @ bskyb.com

this may be the same as CRTExec.

I think the way the whole BT system works does mean that it will take 28 days to cease and re-apply, it's the rubbish nature of the UK telephony system.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the address. I'll give that a try. What I can't understand is this, if I sign up for a new account with another ISP I won't have any downtime in my connection other than the time it takes to remove the old router, replace it with a new router and log-in to the new ISP on the day of the changeover. So why can't Sky apply the same method with the account I have rather than have to put me off line for a month, which by the way is not going to happen? Why should I lose out because one of their stupid employees screwed up?

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
      Have any of you folks ever come across a situation where someone has been signed up and they have forgotten to change his phone number?
      You seem to think it's normal to get a new number when switching suppliers, but most people want to keep their phone no. when switching.

Unfortunately if you have taken sky line rental, and especially if you have been put on the SVBN then changing again will probably be impossible without about a couple of weeks downtime as you have to be transfered back to BT. before you can order the new broadband.

How about getting a VOIP service and just disconnecting the land line? It may save you money in the long run?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Moleman. No actually I don't think it's normal to get a new number when switching ISP's because as you say most people want to keep their old number. I have also been told that Sky have a habit of screwing up in this regard by changing people's number when they don't want it changed! What I do however consider to be normal is that people listen to what you say and do as they are asked. Why should I be penalised because this idiot can't do something as simple as listen?
      With regard to VOIP I'm not sure how this works to be honest.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi, Sky can change the number for you. It's not something they offer as standard and in usual cases they would only change a number if a customer had a police crime reference number (if they were getting abusive calls etc). In your case a mistake happened at time of placing the order. In the post you ackknowledged that and expressed that the person may have been having a bad day. All you need to do now is contact sky customer service and asked for the way your sale was handled. Point out that you joined sky specifically to get a new phone number due to being harrassed etc. Your query should then be passed onto the complaints team to get this organised. They can listen to the call when you placed the order to verify you asked for the number to be changed (but don't think they will do).

This may take a week or two to get resolved but in the mean time you could ask for annoymous caller reject to be added to your account- This will be all witheld numbers ringing you. Another option short term would be to add a service called choose to refuse. This enables a user to enter numbers they wish their line to barr.

I would defo go this route if you are happy with your BB service

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi nige 1983. Are you saying that Sky can sort this matter out without my having to lose my internet access or emails because that is the major problem from my point of view? I can't go down the annoymous caller caller route as a lot of my genuine calls come from withheld number accounts unfortunately. As for contacting Sky customer service I have already did so twice and got nothing but automated responses. I have just sent an email regarding the situation to the address supplied to me earlier in this thread by reddwarfcrew. No reply to this yet but at least it didn't bounce as an invalid address like the one I was given by the Sky adviser.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In a word yes. There will be a partial loss of service when the physical switch of numbers takes place but this will be a short period time (can't say excactly but a couple of hours tops and probably done in the early hours of the morning) but if you had to move your line and BB would be down for longer! The e-mail address you have contacted is for the cheif executive so you may not get a reply on a Sunday but they will get in touch with you tomorrow. As you haven't done anything wrong (you asked for a new number) and you have tired the usual/correct channels in addressing in the first instance I can't see you having a problem now you have contacted Jeremeys team. After all the faciltiy to change a number is there so you aren't asking for the impossible.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You're unlikely to get a response from that email address until Monday morning at the earliest. I suspect that team works strictly Mon-Fri. As for their hours, it won't be 9am-5pm due to the seniority.

I would certainly get back onto Sky and speak with someone in their Customer Services team. If the person can't help you to resolve the issue the they've created, then ask to speak with a duty manager.

This should get a better response.

Always make a written record of who you spoke with throughout this problem. Make a note of time, dates and what was discussed.

As for the ex, it might be worth getting legal advice. A letter to her from a solicitor could be enough to let her know that you no longer wish to communicate with her and further attempts could result in civil action.

VOIP was mentioned earlier too. Essentially there are a number of services available for VOIP calls. Skype is a popular one and can also offer a UK number that others can call.

There are various handsets that you can plug into your router, so that you don't have to use your PC/Laptop for the calls. A major advantage of this would be that you can use VOIP from any network with Internet access.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks nige1983 and Scubbie for the input. I wasn't actually expecting a reply to that email today so that's not a problem. It would just be nice to know that someone actually gives a damn if you know what I mean because so far that hasn't been the case.

What you were saying was interesting nige because I thought there must be something in place to change a customers number without having to go through a month of disconnection. That just seemed crazy to me. Hopefully now that I've emailed the organ grinder so to speak something will start to happen. A few hours downtime isn't going to be a problem so fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast