Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor connection; originally 8mbps, then 4, now 2!

This is a discussion on Poor connection; originally 8mbps, then 4, now 2! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi When my broadband was first setup, i was receiving close to 8mbps, having been quoted 8-16mbps when I signed-up. ...

krysus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor connection; originally 8mbps, then 4, now 2!

Hi

When my broadband was first setup, i was receiving close to 8mbps, having been quoted 8-16mbps when I signed-up.

About a year ago, it dropped to around 4.5mbps. Recently it has gone down to 2.5mbps!

Phoned Sky, ran through usual tests (test socket, etc.), each time router was reset, the speed got lower, now around 2000kbps.

Had call back today from Sky, said 2-3mbps is the best my line can provide. How can that be the case when I've had close to 8mbps in the past?

I understand the contention ratio may have gone up, but so much that I'm now only receiving a quarter of the speed I once had?!

Expecting a call back later to do a line test. Any suggestions on what to say to get my speed back up to anything close to 8mbps?

EDIT - Also, I have no dial tone on my phone, but I can receive incoming calls, although when I answer (e.g. from my mobile), it doesn't stop ringing. Broadband still works though.

Thanks
      Last edited by krysus; 18-02-11 at 07:10 PM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Poor connection; originally 8mbps, then 4, now 2!

Likely some kind of line fault - a one leg disconnection would explain the broadband working, albeit slowly now, and no dial tone. When Sky call you back, they'll likely log the fault to Openreach.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Poor connection; originally 8mbps, then 4, now 2!

You have got to mention the fact you are having trouble with the voice side of things as well. If there is a prob with the line then the BB will also be effected, as it stands they would just have been looking at a speed issue with the BB as a pose to a genuine NDT fault with your line. You can get 1 step ahead before they call back. Try 2 x phones (that you know work) into the test socket. If you still have NDT at this point you have ruled out your equipment and any internal wiring and Sky can raise a fault for BT to check the line and the exchnage for a fault. Do the checks before they call back or even do the checks asap and call sky back you may be able to get an engineer out tomorrow and if not Monday,

FYI- get the line issue dealt with in the first instance and then if need be you can call sky back to check the BB profile on the line once its restored to full working order.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nige1983 For This Useful Post:

krysus (18-02-11)