Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New Unlimited Customer

This is a discussion on New Unlimited Customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Anyway, these extensions were not actually connected to the back of the existing faceplate so I guess they are connected ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Unlimited Customer

Anyway, these extensions were not actually connected to the back of the existing faceplate so I guess they are connected directly to the drop wire terminals on the back
      If you sort this out you could possibly get a bit more. Wired this way a filtered faceplate will make no difference. Only the incoming wires should be connected to the AB terminals on the inner plate. Disconnect the extension wires from these terminals, plug into the test socket and take your stats. That will give an indication of what your line is capable of. You should see a rise in your speed or noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      chrisl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Isitme: I've had a look behind the inner plate and only the blue/white wires from the drop cable are connected to the A&B terminals. What I thought were 2 separate extensions is actually one cable that passes through the NTE5 but isn't connected to anything. What I called a "mass of wires" earlier is from this cable with the outer sheath removed, scrunched up.

After putting it back together, my specs are now:

ADSL Link ---------------- Downstream --- Upstream
      Connection Speed ----- 10235 kbps ----- 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation -------- 32.0db ----------- 17.8db
      Noise Margin ------------ 8.3db ------------- 10.0db

Is there any scope to get a faster speed set manually? It's higher than I had with the O2 8Mbps previously so I'm not that fussed.

Thanks

If DLM is still running it will probably push the speed up a bit more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

DLM finished after only 5 days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
      DLM finished after only 5 days.
      Going back to your wiring, can you check carefully if you have a junction box somewhere feeding an extension and the master socket?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Going back to your wiring, can you check carefully if you have a junction box somewhere feeding an extension and the master socket?
      The black drop cable connected to the A&B terminals comes through the wall next to the window from the outside. It's about 0.5m in length inside.

The (painted over) extension cable runs along the wall into the NTE5 box, where the outer sheath is stripped, and then exits through a different hole with some of the wires exposed before the outer sheath comes back. It then appears to double back to run parallel to the incoming cable. It's possible that this runs to one of those small rectangular junction boxes (?) with rounded corners at the bottom of the stairs; unfortunately there are many cables, all painted over, which makes it difficult to trace what goes where. Maybe the cable into the flat originally came this way but BT changed it when the NTE5 was fitted but left the original cable in place in case it was ever required?

What I can say with certainty is that nothing other than the drop cable is connected to the NTE5.

Thanks

If you have extensions not wired through the NTE5, then that will cause a problem. If you have working extensions, is there any chance that the oval junction is fed from a junction box outside?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have extensions not wired through the NTE5, then that will cause a problem. If you have working extensions, is there any chance that the oval junction is fed from a junction box outside?
      Ahh, I see what you mean.

I don't have any working extensions. There is only one extension socket I've found and it does not give me a dial tone.

Thanks

If it is not connected to your incoming line, there is not much more you can do.

I wonder if the other cable has been run back through the box with a view to connecting the extension in the future. You could have a look inside the box and see what colour wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals. Connect the same coloured wires to the 2 and 5 terminals on your face plate and see if you get dial tone on it. If you have the filtered faceplate fitted, it will not effect your broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123