Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Broadband speed

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's as it should. As I said the single wire must be connected to 2 others somewhere at the back ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband speed

That's as it should. As I said the single wire must be connected to 2 others somewhere at the back of your socket. It is possible one has been cut too short and had to be extended.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      sierra16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ok thanks i think im gonna order one of them NTE5 and using a filtered faceplate. can i just remove my old style master socket and fit the wires from this up to one of them? what do i need to buy to be able to make the transition from the old style faceplate. with no test socket and the battery in to the new ones?

Thanks

Yes, normally this is quite easy, but you would have to locate that second wire. You need the incoming wires connected to the AB terminals on the NTE5 and the extensions connected to the faceplate. This is not possible with only one wire on your 5 terminal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

what colour should that 2nd wire be? ill try and locate it. also do i need to by a nte5 master box then buy the filtered nte5 to put over that first?

Thanks

Looking again at the wiring you posted in post 16, it looks like the wire on terminal 4 is the wire you are looking for. It is not normal for domestic wiring to be connected in this way, terminal 4 is normally only used on a PABX system, so I am not certain. What you can try is removing the wire from terminal 4 and put it on terminal 5. If your Extensions work OK, problem solved. You can always put it back if this does not work.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Any chance of you taking a few pictures? this will no only give us a better idea on what you have but also serve as a reminder if for any reason the current wiring gets forgotten.

Also, follow the main BT able from outside to ensure that it goes directly to the master socket, it has been known for a juncion box to be connected to other sockets hic ca cause noise problems on the line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yeah ill get a picture taken off it. the only other thing maybe is worth mentioning i was on virgin before i went to sky and the phone line for them used a NTE5 master socket with the test socket behind the faceplate. and it looks like originally the wire from the bt master socket had a feed going to that nte5 master socket. as that was the feed wire i took out that was cut and the other part that was cut comes out of that NTE5 master socket that i used for virgin phone line. if that could possible cause any issues.
      Last edited by sierra16; 20-02-11 at 05:14 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

heres the picture, also after closer inspection with a torch it turns out there is 2 wires going into terminal 5 and 2 wires going into terminal 2 too.

Imageshack - masteraz.jpg

Thanks

That's OK. All you have to do is find the incoming pair which are going to the 2 and 5 terminals and connect these to the A-B terminals of the NTE5 and connect the other pair to the faceplate. Just leave all the others coiled back out of the way.

I don't know if the exVirgin NTE5 you have would work, no harm in trying it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast