Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Broadband speed

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, iv read about that but i have one of the really old master sockets. iv read its illegal or ...

sierra16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband speed

hi, iv read about that but i have one of the really old master sockets. iv read its illegal or something to replace these old ones ? what speed should i be getting with the current line attenuation and noise margin?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It is not a criminal offence to replace it, it is against the BT T&C's although as long as it is done correctly (which is very easy) they won't know or care.

With your current stats you may get 4mb but something is causing the line to lose quality and it could reduce again, this is nearly always due to the internal wiring which the new socket and faceplate will cure.

If you don't use the other socket, you could always just pull the wires from the current faceplate just leaving the main BT ones in terminals 5&2 this will be just as good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks on my current master socket it is only one socket with the battery behind the face plate. The is 6 connections . I have removed the 3rd one orange wire. But also the is another set of wires coming from each connection from the master socket. But this wire has been cut off outside of the box. I have 3 other sockets through out the house I only use one off them for the phone.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

All that wiring could be causing interference with your broadband signal, that is why it is best to either isolate it using a filtered faceplate or remove it if it is not needed.

All wires connecting to terminal 3 should be removed (if they are not already).

You could then remove all but the main BT wires and see what your stats are like then, this should be the cleanest connection you get, once you have done this, you could just add the one sockets wires that you use for your phone and see if that have any detrimental effect on the stats.

Also ensure all other sockets in the house have ADSL filters correctly fitted as the very first thind connected to them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is DLM still running on your line? Check if you resynced between 2 and 3 in the morning. If you did, that is an indication that it is running. If so give it a couple of days with your router permanently connected and your speed will prbably go back up.

As Smithy suggests, fitting an NTE5 and using a filtered faceplate is your best bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, its says on the website that line connection testing has been complete. How do i check if dlm is running? . or if its resynced between 2 and 3? cheers

Heres whats going on in my master socket

terminal 1 - green + white wire connected
      terminal 2 - 2 wires - 1 blue + white connected and 1 other which looks a dark colour which i cant see properly
      terminal 3 - no wires connected
      terminal 4 - blue + white wire connected
      terminal 5 - blue + white
      terminal 6 - Green + white

wires not connected that are loose - 1 orange. 1 brown with a white stripe on and 1 white with a brown stripe on

Cheers,

Thanks

Look at the WAN uptime in your router stats and work back from there.

All the wires except those on the 2 and 5 terminals do nothing and are only connected for tidiness. There should be 2 wires connected to your No 5 terminal, 1 incoming and 1 going out to your extensions. Normally the blue pairs are used for the phone connection, ie, blue with white strip and white with blue strip.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok ta ill have to leave it the router on tonight and check iv been disconnecting it to mess with the wireing.

There is only 1 wire connected to the No5 terminal and thats a white wire with a blue strip. the only terminal with 2 wires is in terminal 2 which is a blue and white wire and another wire which looking again looks like it could be white and blue again. should i change this?
      Last edited by sierra16; 20-02-11 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks

That's a bit strange. The only thing I can think of is that the wire on the 5 terminal is jointed to 2 wires somewhere. To my knowledge, a phone will not work unless it is connected to 2 wires. If you only have one wire on 5 then your extensions should not work. Can you have a look in your extension sockets and see what wires are connected to 2 and 5 there?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

2 - blue with white stripe - 5 white with blue stripe on the extensions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast