Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oh no...... hopefully panicking about nothing...

This is a discussion on oh no...... hopefully panicking about nothing... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i used to be with sky and was getting around 16mb. I left, went to talktalk in their "hassle ...

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

oh no...... hopefully panicking about nothing...

So i used to be with sky and was getting around 16mb.

I left, went to talktalk in their "hassle free" (carp) trial, did not like it and so have gone through 2 weeks without internet to come back.

My go live date is today. I was told initially i could expect up to 18mb BB and am due to go on the llu unlimited package.

Am stuck at work so out of curiosity i wondered if i put in my phone line checker on the sky website it would say i was connected or anything.....

and it gave me the following info.

Your current phone line is incompatible with Sky Broadband and Talk. If you want to take Sky Broadband and Talk, please check your address to see if you can also order a compatible Sky Talk phone line.

Currently we estimate that the maximum download speed your line could support is 8 - 10Mb

I am really hoping someone can put my mind at ease that this is just an error and happens all the time.

Leaving sky to try the hassle free talktalk 1 month free trial is the worst mistake i ever made

thanks

M.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: oh no...... hopefully panicking about nothing...

It might be that TalkTalk have not properly vacated your line.

Give Sky a call on 08442 414141 to enquire about the nature of the problem.

You may well have to phone TalkTalk and follow up any complaint in writing to their HO & Ofcom. Sadly you're not the first if this is the case.

As for detecting from work whether you have a BB connection or not, unless you have some means of remote access to your network, this will be impossible to tell until you get home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Cause TalkTalk are a complete network the line first needs to go back to BT and then you can order BB again - the downfall of moving everything to one provider
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Strangely enough, when you take Sky rental and go on to the SVBN, Sky does not recognise its own phone line as compatible when you use the checker. I have seen this reported before on the forum.

Chances are you are connected OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Thanks

I AM BACK!!!

Though just had a panic and been on the phone with sky for 30 mins.

I phoned sky and the guy - really helpful - said i WAS on sky llu but that my line had struggled in the initial line testing and i was stuck at 4MB!!!!! (bear in mind i was some where between 12 and 16mb before xmas with sky)

he asked me to go on hold for 5 mins while he went and had a play... he came back and said he had got it up to 14MB <phew>

he then started chatting about world of warcraft and how he was an addict (at this point i was wanting him to hang up as was gettting funny looks from people in my office) but i then mentioned i was a gamer myself.... at which point he asked me to go on hold again.

he came back 5mins later and said he had done more tests, and knocked my line down currently to 13mb, but had managed to get my pings from his end to my house down to 8ms which is the best he can do without putting me on a gamer profile........ He suggested gamer profiles are fine if you are a ways away from the exchange, but that it was unlikely to get much better than what i am on now due to my close proximity to the exchange but that it would cut my line back to 8-10MB MAX and he said it really is not worth it for me.

now clearly, i am not saying i will get that when i am gaming with other people, but at least i know its not my connection to sky which will be giving me pants pings.

the automatic line testing is set to go for another 10 days, however he said manually configuring is much much better and it is unlikely it will change much, and he is confident my line is currently stable. (given i am under 700m from the exchange i think 13mb (from a possible 20) is actually slow, but one cant complain too much )

So all in all am very happy, excellent customer services now from sky from the last 2 people i have spoken with.

cheers
      M.

PS how can sky's own line not detect its self as being compatible with sky?.... madness

Thanks

PS how can sky's own line not detect its self as being compatible with sky?.... madness
      One of these great mysteries of life I suppose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike20vt View Post
      I AM BACK!!!

Though just had a panic and been on the phone with sky for 30 mins.

I phoned sky and the guy - really helpful - said i WAS on sky llu but that my line had struggled in the initial line testing and i was stuck at 4MB!!!!! (bear in mind i was some where between 12 and 16mb before xmas with sky)
      Can I just ask what number you phoned? I'd like to have a chat about World of Warcraft (I'm level 85 Druid ) and I'd like to get a 'gamer' connection.

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Might be saying that cause you're already with Sky maybe...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I don't think so, you only get that on SVBN. I have BT rental and get

At present we are unable to provide our Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited products on your number; we can, however, offer you Sky Broadband Connect, which is available in your area right now, with up to 8Mb* download speeds and a monthly usage allowance of 40GB, perfect for everyday browsing, email, downloading music and movies.
      Obviously my exchange is full, but nothing about an incompatible line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelysteph View Post
      Can I just ask what number you phoned? I'd like to have a chat about World of Warcraft (I'm level 85 Druid ) and I'd like to get a 'gamer' connection.

Thanks

the number scubbie gave me a few posts up.

give em a buzz and see what they can do, who knows maybe that can manually tweak your line a bit regardless of getting a gamer profile

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmike20vt For This Useful Post:

steelysteph (17-02-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast