Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Broadband Customer

This is a discussion on New Sky Broadband Customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I'm a new sky broadband customer and this afternoon I've been fully transferred over to SKY for broadband, calls ...

nickgrant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MOSSLEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

New Sky Broadband Customer

Hello,

I'm a new sky broadband customer and this afternoon I've been fully transferred over to SKY for broadband, calls and line rental.

Before I was with Plus net for my broadband and the Post Office for my line rental and calls. With plus net I was receiving around 6500 kbps and had a line attenuation of 42 db.

My old router went offline around 3pm this afternoon and I dialled 150 from my phone and I got the "Welcome to Sky" announcement. So I knew my line was now in the hands of SKY.

I then set up the Sky router and now I would like to explain what I did different. My old router was plugged into a 15 metre extension cable which ran from my master socket in the living room to my bedroom. This cable is quite old and the plan was to hook the router right up to the master socket and live off wifi. I wanted to do this so I'd get the best possible connection. But the problem is we have the decorators in doing the living room next week so this would of meant plugging and unplugging the router, which I heard will mess up the 10 day training period. So what I did was connected the router in the kitchen to another extension, this extension is only around 5 metres and is only a few years old.

After the 10 day training period I plan to set-up the router in the living room and hook it up to the SKY HD box so I can receive the new Sky Anytime+ service.

I do have a few Questions:

At the moment my sky router is showing i've connected at 4093 kbps / 605 kbps. Is this the default connection sky start you off at?

My Downstream Line Attenuation is 44.5db and Noise Margin 7.7db
      My Upstream Line Attenuation is 25.8db and Noise Margin 16.0db
      Is it normal for my downstream attenuation to rise from 42 (plusnet) to 44.5db (with sky)?

I've also noticed that my router has lost sync about 3 times since I first got connected. I know I'm in the training period but is this normal?

Thank you in advanced for any advice and information. I'll keep this thread updated with any developments - maybe it will help other new customers.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Sky Broadband Customer

At the moment my sky router is showing i've connected at 4093 kbps / 605 kbps.
      That is about normal

My Downstream Line Attenuation is 44.5db and Noise Margin 7.7db
      Your noise margin is poor, you would be better plugging into the master socket, rather than an extension. Disconnecting the router a few times during training will have little effect, if it does it can be manually configured.

Is it normal for my downstream attenuation to rise from 42 (plusnet) to 44.5db (with sky)?
      Quite normal ADSL2+ syncs higher than BT ADSLMax. Also different routers read the attenution slightly different.

I've also noticed that my router has lost sync about 3 times since I first got connected. I know I'm in the training period but is this normal?
      No you should not loose sync. The line management resyncs the router in the early hours. Unless you have a problem it should not resync at any other time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I've just checked "My Broadband" under my sky account on-line and under connection details it says "Line testing is not currently in progress."

Could anybody tell me when the line testing is suppose to start?

P.S..

The router hasn't lost since in nearly 15 hours... so those 3 disconnections that I noticed when I first got connected yesterday afternoon must of been due to work on my line or a blip.

P.S.S.

My noise margin has also rose from 7.7db to 8.4db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It can take up to 72hrs to kick in
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

...........and the web site is often behind 'real life'. Check if your router resynced between 2 and 3 in the morning, this is a good indication of DLM running. Check the WAN uptime in the router stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

My router re scynced about 6 hours ago and now it's at 6254/945 Kbps. My stats have stayed the same though.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It often takes a few days for DLM to get close to the best speed when everything is fine with your line. So don't worry for the present.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms