Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor Signal in Extension

This is a discussion on Poor Signal in Extension within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Upto now I have been reasonably happy with my sky broadband connection. However, I am becoming less and ...

Jokaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor Signal in Extension

Hi All,

Upto now I have been reasonably happy with my sky broadband connection. However, I am becoming less and less mobile (progressive illness) and will have to move into the converted garage we have. However, the Internet wireless signal is almost non existent (1 bar max) and my laptop or wireless pc never successfully make a connection to the router - the laptop works fine in other rooms of the house. I have tried changing channels to no avail. The router is in the best position we can have it for the other computers in the network. I have tried home plugs too but unfortunately part of the mains wiring in the extension/garage is on a new ring main so signal strength is again very poor if any at all.

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the signal strength using a range extender but I have read mixed reports on using them with a sky router or is there a way to add an additional router or access point to the network (there is an additional telephone point in the extension).
      Any help suggestions would be much appreciated

Jokaz

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Poor Signal in Extension

If you're on the same ring main then I'd look into powerline networking - means you can use an Ethernet connection and get the best connection speed you can
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokaz View Post
      I have tried home plugs too but unfortunately part of the mains wiring in the extension/garage is on a new ring main so signal strength is again very poor if any at all.

Jokaz
      You can make a wireless hotspot bridge easily, however if possible I would always run a cable. Does the Sky router have a removable aerial? You can get more powerful ones that REALLY make a BIG difference.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I have tried home plugs too but unfortunately part of the mains wiring in the extension/garage is on a new ring main so signal strength is again very poor if any at all.
      I doubt if the fact that you are on a different ring main effects the signal. It is more likely to be RCDs in the circuit or something like that, that is causing the problem.

You could try piggy backing a N standard router on to the Sky router, this will give you a stronger signal. This one is cheap and is very popular - TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N Router Atheros: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

An additional idea would be to lay a Cat 6 LAN cable from the Sky router to your new home. Whilst expensive, it should be able to carry the network signal up to 100m. You could the use the network extender that Tom has suggested.

Also, should you later invest in a 1Gb router, you'd already have the right cable in place.

Cat 5e cable is more likely to pick up interference as it is not shielded, but it is also rated to run at up to 100m.

I wish you all the best.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

CAT6 does not = shielded! & shielded cable can cause MORE problems than it can solve if not grounded correctly at both ends and installed as a FULLY shielded solution(modules etc). CAT5e is easier to install & will happily run Gigabit speeds over a 90M horizontal run.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,
      The modem is the basic black Sky Netgear one with no aerial socket which is a shame. I don't think I can lay cable either as just had new patio put down to aide wheelchair access. As I mentioned the home plugs I have (lD-link) don't work from the extension - so I may take a look at setting up a wireless hotspot bridge as mentioned -- how hard is it to do?
      Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a thought:
      I suppose it may be possible for me to have a friend run Cat 5e cable through the upstairs wall and along the eaves to the extension and fit the appropriate connector plates to the walls of each room and then connect the computer to the modem directly. Any recommendations on which cable (colour) it should be as it will have to be external.
      Thanks again

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Technically there is no specific colour that needs to be used. I personally would house the cable within something to protect it from the weather.

If you have the ability to setup an Extender of some kind, then you can still connect by cable to your router (via the extender), but it will also give you a WiFi option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokaz View Post
      Just a thought:
      I suppose it may be possible for me to have a friend run Cat 5e cable through the upstairs wall and along the eaves to the extension and fit the appropriate connector plates to the walls of each room and then connect the computer to the modem directly. Any recommendations on which cable (colour) it should be as it will have to be external.
      Thanks again
      External grade CAT5

Modules

Faceplates