Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line fixed, now what?

This is a discussion on Line fixed, now what? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK so I joined Sky two weeks ago. Initially I got 13Mbps download, this was then set at 11.5 after ...

alflavor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whittlesey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Line fixed, now what?

OK so I joined Sky two weeks ago. Initially I got 13Mbps download, this was then set at 11.5 after DLM had completed.

Whilst not wanting to get hung up speeds, the 11.5 is a lot better than the 6.5 I used to get on Orange.

However I'd like to get as much out of the line as possible, so I fiddled around, removed bell wire etc, checked my router in the test socket etc.

I then noticed some crackling on the line, that wasn't helping obviously, so after some calls I've had openreach out, and they've done some work.

Before I was getting a downstream noise margin of much lower then 5, sometimes I saw 3.8, but the router was still connecting OK.

OK so now, it is 24 hours since I rebooted the router after Openreach came round and my stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 1032 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.5db 11.4db
      Noise Margin 8.2db 7.8db

Note that the downstream noise has stayed pretty constant at 8.2, 8.1 there or thereabouts for 24 hours now.

Is it worth giving Sky another call to see if I can squeeze any more out, or see if the line profiling tools (whatever they are called) will do something in a day or three?

Thanks..

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Line fixed, now what?

From what I have learnt on this forum, Sky aim for a noise margin to be no lower than 7db. If you were getting less than this previously, I'd suggest that it was linked to you dodgy line which has now been fixed.

DLM would have capped your line at a low speed because of the line problems. Call Sky and ask if they can rerun DLM on your line or see if you can speak to someone in CST to get your line figures changed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is strange that getting your line fixed actually put your speed back, rather than improved it. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post305403

Maybe asking Sky to run DLM again will get you back to where you were.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

alflavor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whittlesey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is strange that getting your line fixed actually put your speed back, rather than improved it. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post305403

Maybe asking Sky to run DLM again will get you back to where you were.
      Hi i'll get onto sky in next day or so! Thanks for everyones advice and help.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alflavor View Post
      OK so now, it is 24 hours since I rebooted the router after Openreach came round and my stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 1032 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20.5db 11.4db
      Noise Margin 8.2db 7.8db

Note that the downstream noise has stayed pretty constant at 8.2, 8.1 there or thereabouts for 24 hours now.

Is it worth giving Sky another call to see if I can squeeze any more out, or see if the line profiling tools (whatever they are called) will do something in a day or three?

Thanks..
      You must still have some noise on the line somwhere because my stats are similar to your but my downstream attenuation is 34dB.