Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I believe I can have a greater upload speed!

This is a discussion on I believe I can have a greater upload speed! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello there, I have been following this forum for a while now. I have been reading threads which have recommended ...

greg57 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broughty Ferry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I believe I can have a greater upload speed!

Hello there, I have been following this forum for a while now. I have been reading threads which have recommended a phone call to sky if you are unhappy with your broadband speed. Thats exactly what I did!

Basically, I believe I was capped at 1530kbps downstream and 606kbps upstream. I removed the ring wire which saw an increase of roughly 6dB to the downstream noise margin and no increase in the upstream noise margin. I have tried connecting to the test socket which shows no improvement.

I phoned sky tonight and got a very helpful person who was happy to try and get to the bottom of my problem. In the end, he managed to increase my downstream sync to 3810kbps with no problems at all reducing my noise margin from 16dB to a more respectable 7-9dB which I am more than happy with considering my higher attenuation figure. I asked him if he could increase my upload speed, but he told me that I would have to sacrifice some download speed for this to happen.I understand that the maximum upload on the base package is 606kbps which is what my upload speed was prior to the phone call changing slightly to 604kbps. Currently the upstream noise margin is 15dB which I beleive could be lowered to result in a higher upstream sync. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether I will be able to attain a higher upload speed.

Any response would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I believe I can have a greater upload speed!

You're probably on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network, which works in profiles - there's not just freedom of uncapping upstream speeds unfortunately. Looks like you're perhaps on the 4096/608 profile. Call 17070 on your landline and do you get through to ZOE or the BT testing facility?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do have sky talk and they now manage our line. I didn't realise that this would have an effect on our sync speeds. As a result, I can't get through to the BT testing facility. Does this mean that sky will not be able to increase my upload sync even though I have a relatively high upstream noise margin?

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, they still can, but it works in profiles. Call back Sky and see which one they wish to uncap to - there are too many profiles to name, but here are a few that they may try and you can debate which one would suit you best (if you game for instance):

4608/864 max delays 8ms
      8128/768 max delays 32ms
      8128/864 max delays 8ms

If you want the upstream uncapped any further than above, then the profile needs to be set to one of the two highest - either 18mbps/1.2mbps or 20mbps/1.2mbps with delays at 8ms. Without perhaps setting the downstream target SNR higher and losing some downstream, it'd be debatable whether the line would stay stable and it's not worth it for a few kbps of upstream. I'd suggest the first profile I mentioned - 4608/864 with the line code on g.dmt.

Thanks

Thank you for that information. I am going to call them back on Thursday as I want to make sure the connection stays stable and that is the next time that I am available to call them. I believe I am currently connected on ADSL2+ as my line attenuation figure increased when I switched to unlimited a month ago. If I ask to be moved over to the 4608/864 max delays 8ms profile then will this allow my speed to go up to 4608 which would allow it to stay at the current 3810? Also, would this result in my ping being reduced from ~70ms, this would be great for Xbox Live!

Exchange:
      Thanks

The downstream will likely shoot up a little - maybe 4096kbps or so, but it will train in at whatever the conditions allow as per the SNR at the time. Your upstream will only get around 900kbps at most, anyway, so it would be the best profile in my opinion.

And, yup, your ping times will reduce with 8ms delays.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

greg57 (13-02-11)

Thanks

Thank you very much! If I could keep a stable connection and a 7dB noise margin and sync at 4096kbps then that would be great. Also, my throughput currently on the upload is ~63kb/s which shows roughly 16% loss on the sync speed. 16% loss from 900 would see me around 85-95kb/s. That would be a reasonable increase and for pings to lower would just put the icing on the cake

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Here are my stats which are not far away from yours

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4091 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 33 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 14 db
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

Thanks

Thanks for that, the upload looks promising! Your lower downstream line attenuation suggests that I may not receive a greater download speed but that fine for my distance. Annoyingly, I live between 2 exchanges. One is 2.5km as the bird flies(im connected to this one), while the other one is 1.4km :/. Samknows tells me that my house is the dividing line, is there no way that I can be switched to the closer exchange? The BT manhole covers are right outside my house, would this allow for my connection to be changed ?