Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I am getting 0.5 mb speed instead of 20 mb speed. PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on I am getting 0.5 mb speed instead of 20 mb speed. PLEASE HELP! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have this problem since i have gotten the broadband, which is back in 2008. The internet speed was ...

KeshGrg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 023 92
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I am getting 0.5 mb speed instead of 20 mb speed. PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I have this problem since i have gotten the broadband, which is back in 2008. The internet speed was not very good and I was surprised because they said it was the fastest. I didnt mind then because I didnt use Internet as much then but now i have more than 5 devices that use the internet and the speed is getting really terrible.

And so when I checked my sky account today, It said my speed should be upto 20mb but I was getting 0.5 mb connection!

You can see it here : http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...arist1/Sky.jpg

And (If this helps): http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rist1/Sky2.png

Can someone please help me tackle this MASSIVE problem, is it something wrong with the cables? And what does it mean by "The estimate provided to you at purchase for the maximum download speed your line can support was 0.5Mb."?

My phoneline is BT, if this helps anything, I have called Sky about the connection and they said 1mb is the maximum i could get. Can some please show me whats wrong with this? Im not really that good at technical stuff.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: I am getting 0.5 mb speed instead of 20 mb speed. PLEASE HELP!

My stats are :
      Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed: 1017 kbps 725 kbps
      Line Attenuation : 57.5 db 34.7 db
      Noise Margin : 14.5 db 9.5 db

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You're paying for UP TO 20mbps. The speed you'll receive is all down to line length and quality. You have a fairly long line, and as you can see from Sky's estimate that your line can only handle 512kbps, you're already getting double that. However, you do have room for more, but before taking it any further, fire back with a reply to the following questions:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

KeshGrg (13-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You're paying for UP TO 20mbps. The speed you'll receive is all down to line length and quality. You have a fairly long line, and as you can see from Sky's estimate that your line can only handle 512kbps, you're already getting double that. However, you do have room for more, but before taking it any further, fire back with a reply to the following questions:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?
      Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I am aware that it is UPTO 20 mb but i do not think it is fair that i pay for 20mb and get something really low. The max i can get is 1 mb and i have seen people who pay for 10mb a month but still get much higher result than me.

Any way, answering your question I use one telephone socket and yes the router is connected to an extension socket, i am using a DSL cable that did not come with the sky router.

Hopefully this picture will help you : http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1/IMG_0231.jpg

The top one is the Phone cable and the bottom one is the Internet cable.

I dont know if this is got to do with anything or not but my phone cable is really really long, probably 20 meter +

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

There's no 10mbps package any more - the package doesn't dictate what speed you'll get (there are only two packages, both up to 20mbps down / 1.3 up), only difference is one is limited to 2gb and the other unlimited. Upon being sold the product, you would have been told the line can only handle around 512kbps - it's not particularly about 'fairness', it's simply down to the constraints of copper telephone lines that run from the exchange to your premises.

You're not doing yourself any favours with the set-up at present - I can only imagine your line is flooded with errors, hence the reason it looks capped at 1024kbps for stability purposes.

Unplug every device from every telephone socket. Plug the router into the master socket with the following set-up: (master socket > microfilter > router/phone), using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided i.e. no extension cables. Re-take the stats once you've done that and we'll take it from there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

KeshGrg (13-02-11)

Thanks

There's no 10mbps package any more - the package doesn't dictate what speed you'll get (there are only two packages, both up to 20mbps down / 1.3 up), only difference is one is limited to 2gb and the other unlimited. Upon being sold the product, you would have been told the line can only handle around 512kbps - it's not particularly about 'fairness', it's simply down to the constraints of copper telephone lines that run from the exchange to your premises.

You're not doing yourself any favours with the set-up at present - I can only imagine your line is flooded with errors, hence the reason it looks capped at 1024kbps for stability purposes.

Unplug every device from every telephone socket. Plug the router into the master socket with the following set-up: (master socket > microfilter > router/phone), using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided i.e. no extension cables. Re-take the stats once you've done that and we'll take it from there.
      Ok, First of all the reason i posted this here was because i thought i could seek help here instead of waiting for hours on the phone to sky. As I said i am not very good at this kind of stuff. And about the speed, look at this guy for example : Sky Help Forum - Slow connection after 10 days of initial line test... - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum he has the same problem as i do, the same speed that i get, but as his problem is resolved, he gets higher results. I am trying to achieve the same results by seeking help here. And the reason i picked the 20mb package was that i would get better speed and i was certainly not expecting a connection less than 1mb.

And i will follow your instructions, but i dont have the Grey DSL that sky provided because it was faulty and i needed to change the DSL.

I will post the stats again tommorow

Exchange:
      Thanks

You can see by your estimate of 0.5mbps on your mysky that you should have expected a connection that low at the point of sale - and you're getting double that at the moment anyway. ADSL doesn't guarantee x amount of speed - that's all dictated by your line. If you're 10km from the exchange and can only push out 256kbps, then that's all the line can handle, regardless of the package.

That thread you linked to - the OP likely has a set-up issue going on with those stats e.g. unfiltered socket, incorrectly filtered socket, running the router off an extension socket or extension cable, faulty wiring/faceplate etc. Uncapping him to 4mbps without addressing the set-up issue, as tech have done, is only going to cause more issues in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

KeshGrg (13-02-11)

Thanks

You can see by your estimate of 0.5mbps on your mysky that you should have expected a connection that low at the point of sale - and you're getting double that at the moment anyway. ADSL doesn't guarantee x amount of speed - that's all dictated by your line. If you're 10km from the exchange and can only push out 256kbps, then that's all the line can handle, regardless of the package.

That thread you linked to - the OP likely has a set-up issue going on with those stats e.g. unfiltered socket, incorrectly filtered socket, running the router off an extension socket or extension cable, faulty wiring/faceplate etc. Uncapping him to 4mbps without addressing the set-up issue, as tech have done, is only going to cause more issues in my opinion.
      Actually today was the first time i logged in mysky. Honestly, when i brought the package i did not care about the internet because i hardly used it but now my kids are complaining that the internet is slow. And the exchange is 2 km away appox, do you think i'll be able to reach higher results or should i just move to a different broadband? Virgin looks promising.

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you fix the wiring/set-up issue, then you'll push out some more speed - more towards 3mbps perhaps. Your attenuation would suggest you're more like 4-5km from the exchange - perhaps 2km as the crow flies, but when taking how the line's routed to the exchange into account, it'll be a good bit longer.
      Last edited by User05; 10-02-11 at 01:16 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

KeshGrg (13-02-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Going back to your photo in post #4, it looks like you have something else plugged into the socket before the filter, maybe the connection to your Sky+ box. If this is the case, then it is wrong, the filter must be plugged in first then any phones or splitters.

That apart, your stats show you do have the potential for more speed, provided you can sort out the reason why you are capped in the first place. 3-4Mb I would think.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

KeshGrg (13-02-11)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast