Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just an observation

This is a discussion on Just an observation within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by User05 The advisor should perhaps stop being oblivious and start reading briefs as you can be transferred ...

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Just an observation

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The advisor should perhaps stop being oblivious and start reading briefs as you can be transferred right through to CST (tier 2) now without the need for a 72 hour call-back.
      Sometimes CST gets snowed in and they stop transfers, AFAIK this was true last night.

Actually thinking about the average T1 agent he probably had no idea about this and just went with the 72 hours like he always does.

Best thing to do if you need to deal with T1 is to call up until you get someone who seems like they know what they're doing and where to deviate from their script and get them to commit to your case. They can call you back and are even encouraged to within the same shift, so just ask them to do so if you get cut off or need to do something off the phone. Generally they'll ask you to do a bunch of ridiculous and redundant stuff which you can safely ignore if you know what you're doing. Just sit and watch tv while the hapless agent guides you through changing your wireless channel for your sync speed issues... eventually their script will tell them you need CST and they'll put you through.

2. Advertisement
      Harley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worcester
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      The slowest broadband City in the UK - Worcester
      Thanks

Still offline...but there have been some changes.

I can now ping IP addresses, I did both 74.125.224.18 (Google) and 212.58.246.92 (BBC) getting avergae og 185ms reply.

Now the interesting thing is that if I put the Google IP into the address bar of my browser I can get to the Google webpage, this doesn't work for the BBC IP and neither does it work if I type the address in properly. Also, I cannot browse or search any further than the Google homepage.

No call from Sky yet either but they are still only 60 hours into their 72 hour callback

Exchange:
      Thanks

The BBC server redirects you to bbc.co.uk if you type in the IP, so you will be connecting to that ok, it just redirects you to the domain name, which doesn't work for you.

Try manually setting your DNS with Google DNS:

Google Public DNS

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried connecting with more than one PC? If not, it is possible your TCP stack is corrupted. Try downloading and running Winsock fix from here -
      Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 Free - WinSockFix - A free Winsock/Tcp repair utility - Softpedia
      If it does not help, it will do no harm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birks View Post
      The BBC server redirects you to bbc.co.uk if you type in the IP, so you will be connecting to that ok, it just redirects you to the domain name, which doesn't work for you.

Try manually setting your DNS with Google DNS:

Google Public DNS
      Changing to the Google DNS has got me back up and running

Am I able to leave this DNS or will I need an alternative Sky DNS to the one I was using?

Thanks for all help and advice received

Thanks

Nothing to stop you using them, but most who have problems with the Sky DNS servers find that free version of OpenDNS is better. OpenDNS > Use OpenDNS There are lots of security options available if you register with them.

What DNS servers are showing in your router? It is unusual not to get online at all with the Sky servers, more often it is a slow response that is the problem. I think there may be something wrong with the router settings. What you can try is pushing a pin in the Reset hole and holding it there until the tick light flashes. That may clear the problem, if it doesn't you can always go back to alternate DNS addresses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think OpenDNS is faster in general than Google but the thing that bothered me when I tried it ages ago was the default search page it brought up when it couldn't find the domain. Dunno if they stopped doing that or let you turn it off now though.

Thanks

They still do that. I think it is better than just getting an error with 'Page not found' and can often point you to what you are looking for.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

What DNS servers are showing in your router? It is unusual not to get online at all with the Sky servers, more often it is a slow response that is the problem. I think there may be something wrong with the router settings. What you can try is pushing a pin in the Reset hole and holding it there until the tick light flashes. That may clear the problem, if it doesn't you can always go back to alternate DNS addresses.
      The DNS servers were set in the Windows Wireless settings TCP/IP and its just occurred to me that I haven't changed them since I transferred over from UKOnline to Sky

So maybe the servers have been taken offline.

Lucky I wasn't ranting and raving about Sky broadband when it was my problem all the time!

Which has now led onto another question, I have had a pop up trying to install AVG miniport driver. I do have AVG Internet Security, is this connected with the new router settings?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      They still do that. I think it is better than just getting an error with 'Page not found' and can often point you to what you are looking for.
      Yeah, I guess, it's just that I need to do certain stuff with mine where having regular old DNS errors is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
      Which has now led onto another question, I have had a pop up trying to install AVG miniport driver. I do have AVG Internet Security, is this connected with the new router settings?
      They're unrelated, two different things with the same acronym. AVG miniport driver will be for your onboard graphics chip, probably just installing now because it's the first time you've had an internet connection for a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast