Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wont Connect any faster than 896kbps

This is a discussion on Wont Connect any faster than 896kbps within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That is weird but I would have thought they could have fixed it from there end if they could see ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      That is weird but I would have thought they could have fixed it from there end if they could see you ?? as vishal said you are on a really long line looking at the stats you posted so maybe its very unstable so try asking them to cap it which should help.

@Just Cause
      Most speed test sites are only any good at quites times if there is such a thing I always find ftp downloads more reliable, as for your weird speed as you are on the Connect package it has to go through a training period before it stabilises for more information read >>this<< it will explain it better than I could.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Cheers Ray.

I have to add that it seems like it may be contention, or at least that may be part of the problem. This is just a guess. If I download anything at around 9 a.m. ish I get the full speed expected. Evenings are always problematic.

Does this sound logical?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Oh yes very logical since the evenings are always the busiest time so that could well be a major factor.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Cheers,

I cannot fathom how I never had this issue with my 2Mb BT product though. I have asked for my MAC code from sky because if it gets no better quickly, I will be going back to BT.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Like I said the router has to go through this training period as well which doesn't help and no you probably would have noticed it on a 2MB package but even if you go back to BT you will still have the same problems as you now as you will go back on the MAX Adsl up to 8MB which is what you are on now.
      Ray

click here

old mcdonal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      got router yesterday (on connect package) - plugged in and configured outlook smpt, wifo etc..... getting around 6000kb, so far so good i did download vishal's iso file it took under 20min, and download some software from microsoft site seems much faster than my previous isp.

my stats are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7584 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 db 17.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.8 db 25.0 db

was reading somewhere that router and exchange does some sort of checking for about 10 days, so far im happy - however when i reboot router it takes around 5mins to negociate internet access

vin
      vin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I was on BT for years on a steady 1MB link that was stable.
      When I get a connection with Sky it tends to stay up (over 100hours and counting) but it can take upto an hour to get connected (see original post).
      I get constant download speeds of about 80kbs which is what i'd expect on 896kbps link. On BT I was getting 115kbs. I should connect at 2.4MB and get download speeds of 200kbs+

It's really frustrating and Sky keep closing my tickets (or calls) after a week or so without calling me back.
      T3 were supposed to call me on Monday but I'm still waiting. 50 says that when I call on Friday for an update they'll have closed the call (as they did on the other 2 occasions)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      In my mind I like the idea of BT owning my issues. Sky tell me there is a problem on my exchange.

When I call sky they just fob me off saying it is BT's hardware and they have no idea when things will get looked at. I feel that calling BT, and having my service owned by them, would result in me at least knowing what was going on with issues.

I think I like the idea of being back with BT and in the position I am in rather than with Sky.

Thanks for your help.

vin
      vin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just Cause

Did you find BT's support to be any better than Sky's?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I understand what you are saying Just Cause.

In theory BT Broadband should be treated just the same as every other ISP by BTW.

@vin
      Never used to be when I was with them and since they have so many millions of customers I doubt its changed.
      Ray

click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast