Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support

This is a discussion on Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and have been on it since last July. Not been incredibly happy with ...

CityTiger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support

Ok so I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and have been on it since last July. Not been incredibly happy with it as I was with Virgin previously and that was much faster - in particular Sky seems to get slow on a night. Still, up until the last few days it was always still useable.

I work from home so I am online virtually all day everyday but last week I noticed my connection becoming very slow. It seemed to get gradually worse and worse until on Sunday it was virtually unusable with a speed test showing download speeds of less than 200kb (usually get 4-5meg)

So I called Sky support and had all the usual, have you restarted the router, restarted your PC, connected via Ethernet instead of wire, etc etc.

They then got me to delete cookies, etc and then did a netstat. The netstat showed more than 10 connections so she explained things like file sharing, video streaming, etc are all eating up my bandwidth and that it was not a problem at their end and so couldnt help any more.

When I told her I dont do file sharing and hardly stream any videos her response was just that 'well its not necesarily that but programs like that'. I also told her that I have tried connecting with 4 different computers and got the same result on all four. She said that one could have a virus on. I felt this was them trying to fob me off so asked to get through to cancellations which she did.

The said that they did something to stablise the line on Feb 1st - which seems to coincide with my slow down - not sure if they could be connected?

Anyway they wouldnt cancel me as they claimed they were delivered 4meg + speeds as agreed and it was a problem at my end. After an hour on the phone I did another netstat and noticed there were 10+ connections from myrouter.

I told this to the guy and he started umming and erring and so I asked if it could be a faulty router which he said yes and agreed to send me a new router to try. God knows why this wasnt something they looked at earlier I dont know but anyway at least it was some kind of progress.

But anyway this was yesterday afternoon and so far today my connection has been fine - like before all the problems I had.

Now of course I am happy the speed is back but also worried the slowdown will return. It also seems strange that after trying to cancel my speed goes back to normal. Also done another netstat and I have more than double the number of connections I had when I was the phone to them which makes me doubt even more that was the issue.

Anyone any thoughts on this? Were Sky trying to fob me off? Will the new router fix the problem? Could it be they saw and fixed an issue with my line but wouldnt admit the problem to me?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support

Post your stats up and we'll go from there:

How to get your router statistics
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Post your stats up and we'll go from there:

How to get your router statistics
      Ok thanks - here you go:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6140 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 19.1 db
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 18.0 db

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like it's capped for stability. I'd guess some kind of set-up or wiring issue.

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have a test socket plug in there using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky and post your stats.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Netstat connections will only effect your throughput, not the sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Looks like it's capped for stability. I'd guess some kind of set-up or wiring issue.

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?
      There are 2 telephone sockets, one used for phone and router, the other used for the TV box.

Not sure what the filter is....there is a splitter for the phone and router....if thats what you mean?

Router is connected to the first socket that comes in to the house so I would assume that is the master?

Using the grey cable sky provided - no extension.

Yes Sky TV connected to seperate socket.

No test socket that I know of?

Thanks

the other used for the TV box.
      Is this filtered? A filter looks like this - Euroffice Belkin Pro Series ADSL in-line Filter - mydeco.com

The boxxy thing supplied by TV fitters is not a filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Also, not sure if it is linked but I had problems with my telephone line the other week. Basically it was very crackly so BT came and fixed it. It wasnt a problem with the socket but was a faulty wire in their box on the street outside.

Its was a few days or so after they fixed that that the broadband problems started.

Connection is still ok today which would surely suggest more like a problem at Skys end that they may now have fixed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is this filtered? A filter looks like this - Euroffice Belkin Pro Series ADSL in-line Filter - mydeco.com

The boxxy thing supplied by TV fitters is not a filter.
      I have a filter that looks like this: Tesco Belkin ADSL Filter - mydeco.com

That is what I mean by the splitter for the phone and router....this came with the Sky router and I have tried one of the spare ones they sent me too and that didnt work.

The TV is plugged directly in the socket.

Thanks

The TV is plugged directly in the socket.
      It must be plugged in via a filter. Please do that and post your stats again.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast