Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support

This is a discussion on Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme But your speed is not fine, you should be getting 10-11Mb with your attenuation. You are ...

CityTiger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Unlimited Very Slow...Until After I call Support

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      But your speed is not fine, you should be getting 10-11Mb with your attenuation. You are only getting about half that.
      Perhaps so but if I can get 4-5mb until I can cancel my contract in July then Ill be happy. They wont do anything about it if Im getting 4mb as thats what they estimated I would get when I signed up.

At the moment my concern is that the speed I had last week will come back at some point and make it so I cannot work again.

As I pointed out to Sky Im not just using my connection for pleasure....I rely on it to work. If I dont have a good connection I cannot work, if I cannot work I cannot earn money, if I cannot earn money I cannot pay my Sky bill!!

Any thoughts as to what may have caused the massive slow down in speed I saw up until yesterday and any thoughts as to the coincidence of the connection being back to normal the day after I complain?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

On your phone when you make a call is there any hissing or crackling?

If so you could report a poor line quality fault with your phone line supplier. If so DO NOT MENTION BROADBAND.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      On your phone when you make a call is there any hissing or crackling?

If so you could report a poor line quality fault with your phone line supplier. If so DO NOT MENTION BROADBAND.
      No but this is what I had done just before the slow internet started.

I had a terrible crackling to the point you could barely hear the dial tone. Reported it and BT came and changed the cable on the box outside so now the phonline is perfect. That was perhaps a week before the broadband problems started.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Any thoughts as to what may have caused the massive slow down in speed I saw up until yesterday and any thoughts as to the coincidence of the connection being back to normal the day after I complain?
      I would guess that the problems with the line caused Dynamic Line Management to kick in and stabilise your line. Usually when this happens it sets it at a much lower speed, Sky would simply raise the cap on your line and return it to what it was previously. If the reason your broadband is slow is because of a fault on the line, then changing provider will not help. If the cause is Sky's exchange equipment, then a change will improve it. Separating the two is very difficult without the services of a broadband engineer.

I should point out that using Sky BB for business use is against the Terms of your contract, so Sky are unlikely to take any notice of the fact you cannot workt. They are supplying a domestic product with no guarantee of service. If your livelihood depends on a broadband connection you would be better signing up with a business broadband which has some guarantee of dependability.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

CityTiger (08-02-11)

Thanks

I would guess that the problems with the line caused Dynamic Line Management to kick in and stabilise your line. Usually when this happens it sets it at a much lower speed, Sky would simply raise the cap on your line and return it to what it was previously.
      So is it normal for them to do this without telling you? They assured me the problem was not at their end so if that was the case then I was being told lies. He did say the line had been stabilised on 1st Feb which coincided with the slow down....so why not just tell me that was the cause and he had raised the cap again?

If the reason your broadband is slow is because of a fault on the line, then changing provider will not help.
      It would if I went back to Virgin though......assuming the problem is not my PC's?

I should point out that using Sky BB for business use is against the Terms of your contract, so Sky are unlikely to take any notice of the fact you cannot workt.
      Fair point, still doesnt detract from them slowing my connection down as they did - by not delivering the speed I was paying for they were not fulfilling their side of the contract either. Of course proving that is difficult and so I think I will find it hard to get out of my contract.

If your livelihood depends on a broadband connection you would be better signing up with a business broadband which has some guarantee of dependability.
      That is exactly what I want to do but I dont want to do that until I can get out of my contract with Sky. Overall I am very disappointed with Sky Broadband. Connection is crap and customer support is even worse....it also appears they like to tell lies to customers. I wish I never switched to them.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

So something on your line changing for the worse in your mind means Sky have lied to you? I don't quite see the logic myself

Speed should be, as said, a lot better and without getting Openreach involved (by logging a fault through Sky) the fault will never be found. Yes going back to Virgin (cable) would fix the issue but it's kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      So something on your line changing for the worse in your mind means Sky have lied to you? I don't quite see the logic myself
      Well, look at the facts.....

1) On 1st of Feb they did a line stablisation, this coincided with my connection going very slow

2) Upon calling them I am repeatedly told that they have checked everything and there is no problem from their end they are delivery me speed of at least 4mb - they tell me it is a problem on my PC.

3) The day after this conversation my connection speed returns to normal.

Now what we do not know is whether there was definately a problem that caused my line to be capped. However the facts above certainly indicate that there is a good possibility that is the case. If that is the case then its clear that after complaining they have removed the cap to put things back to normal.

But they did not even mention that on the phone - they kept telling me it was a problem with my PC and everything was ok their end. Now assuming they had capped the line then this was certainly a lie. If they had just told me they had capped the line because of an issue but would now remove it that would have been fine, I would have been happy and the conversation would have taken 5 minutes.

Surely you can see now how there is a possibility they lied to me? If it was capped they would have known and should have told me. The fact something changing on my line for the worse is not why I believe they lied to me. I believe they lied to me by not being honest about what was causing the issue despite knowing they had capped the line.

Yes going back to Virgin (cable) would fix the issue but it's kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face
      Not really, because of how much slower Sky is to Virgin I have always regretted the decision to switch - so going back to Virgin would not be cutting my nose off at all - in fact I was strongly considering doing that at the end of my contract anyway.

Thanks

Going by the sync speeds, though, shows your line is under-performing. Now this is likely to be coincidence as DLM kicking won't reduce the line speed and not allow it to go back up again. As the noise margin is now at around default something has happened to the external line to reduce the speed that can be achieved on the line.

Finding the issue is the hard part but so long as you're in the test socket and there's no dial tone anywhere else (as you've stated) then it's up to Sky to sort out the issue

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

CityTiger (08-02-11)

Thanks

Going by the sync speeds, though, shows your line is under-performing. Now this is likely to be coincidence as DLM kicking won't reduce the line speed and not allow it to go back up again. As the noise margin is now at around default something has happened to the external line to reduce the speed that can be achieved on the line.

Finding the issue is the hard part but so long as you're in the test socket and there's no dial tone anywhere else (as you've stated) then it's up to Sky to sort out the issue
      To be honest, Im not that concerned about whether the line is under-performing or not - as long as I have a decent, usable connection.

If it stays like this then Ill be fine until my contract expires - at which point Ill either switch back to Virgin or switch to a small business provider. The latter of these may have the same issue but they will be far more likely to do what is needed to fix it I feel.

Anyway thanks for everyones help!

Thanks

Sky will fix it but you have to go through the processes in place first before Sky will get Openreach involved as it costs a fortune to get them out. So long as you've got an open ticket and things haven't progressed then the next step would get OR involved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast