Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange speed problems on 1 pc only

This is a discussion on Strange speed problems on 1 pc only within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We have 1 pc, 2 laptops and 3 Xbox 360's operating off our 10mb connection - of which there are ...

Jaysun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mansfield (EMMNSFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Strange speed problems on 1 pc only

We have 1 pc, 2 laptops and 3 Xbox 360's operating off our 10mb connection - of which there are usually no problems...

However, on the pc that I use - suddenly at some point yesterday and still now - my pc has gone from receiving a nice healthy 8mb (min) on either wireless or using a wired powerline adaptor... to receiving anything from 0.5mb to 8mb - it constantly changing literally every second.

I've tried virus checks (all clear) Spybot Search and Destroy (some cookies removed but nothing nasty) and Lavasoft Adware (nothing found after Spybot).

I did a system restore (which some how had turned itself off - and live updates had too) back to yesterday which solved the problem for about 10 minutes and then back to odd speeds again.

Every over device in the house is working perfectly fine - just mine! lol

Anyone any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Strange speed problems on 1 pc only

Try navigating to some well known AV software sites. If these are blocked then you definitely have a nasty on your PC.

Try Pandasoftware, Symantec, McAfee and any other popular AV sites your search engine can find. Also try updating your existing products. Again should this fail, you are likely to have a nasty somewhere.

Another one to try is 'MalwareBytes Anti-Malware'. I have found Ad-Aware to be very good at finding many things, with Malware'Bytes product finding a few others.

Also I would suggest 'Advanced SystemCare'. It adds a lot of nasty sites to the IE8 list of blocked sites and helps to reduce the number of nasties that you can pick up.

For both those products, go carefully through the install procedure. Both try to change home pages, add task bars and change seardch engine choices with the free versions. I find this detrimental, so always choose to not allow those options to take place.

If the LAN is 10Mb, then it sounds as if you are using an old system, cabled up something wrongly or you are mis-quoting something.

Most home networks are now capable of 10/100Mbps. Your Internet might be 8Mbps. Sky routers are all capable of 10/100Mbps, defaulting to 100Mbps unless the card in the computer can't handle it.

To check whether it is a LAN issue, I would take a look at how the PC is connecting to the router. Swap the network cable with something else.

If you have Windows, open 'Task Manager' (press <Ctrl><Alt><Del>) and click on the network tab to see what speed you are getting. Try copying a file between one of the laptops and the PC if you have enabled network sharing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

In addition to what Scubbie advises, you might want to try running netstat /b on a Command Prompt. Shut down all but one browser window when doing it to reduce the number of legal open connections. Make sure you recognise everything that is listed.

You could also try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speed test here - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester Don't stay online on this mode as you have no protection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks guys, sorry my information was referring to the internet download speed - not the lan connection speed which is as you stated.

All AV sites work perfectly fine and the virus checker suggested found no problems (although it took forever to download the 7.4mb file lol).

However... last night I switched off the router and left it off until this morning - internet speed perfectly fine, got home from work tonight perfectly fine.... then as soon as our eldest turned his Xbox on - my download speed is terrible 133kbps on the speed checker on here.

Now I understand obviously the overall internet speed is shared between devices, but how can suddenly after all these years the xbox be stealing the entire bandwidth?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Has the xbox received an update recently?

One of the biggest failings of the Sky routers is the inability to use Quality of Service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They had an update a week or two ago.

I've just tried a router reboot which made no difference - i'm currently receiving about 50kb's instead of possible 10mbps.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Can you try a direct wire, no wireless or homeplug?

Thanks

The pc is located upstairs and the router downstairs... have tried wireless connection on 2 laptops and they're fine also son has had no xbox gaming problems online....

Just tried the wireless on my pc (have been disabling it when using wired to avoid confusion) which seems to be ok now (wasn't earlier) the speed test picked up just under 9mb (not bad for wireless here) but during the test the speed kept jumping down and back up again (doesn't usually do that).

Not sure what's going on, but must be something on this particular pc in the house, something must have changed during last few days

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

You say that you have 3 Xboxes. Are they playing on-line games, between each other or both?

Also, very important: Are they connected via WiFi or cable? This could be hogging the WiFi signal alone.

I would also suggest that you download & install InSSIDer as the problem may well be that someone else nearby has just installed a router that is using the same channel as your own.

If they are, then you can easily go into your router settings and change yours to a different channel number.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I have seen this issue caused by a faulty power supply in either the PC or something near it, it also causes the homeplugs to go bonkers which iw wjy using a long ethernet lead would/could sort it and help prove where the fault is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast