Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New old connection - did I mess up? Help appreciated

This is a discussion on New old connection - did I mess up? Help appreciated within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Long story short - had sky broadband on BT line over past 2 or so years - rock ...

madmad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSDEP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New old connection - did I mess up? Help appreciated

Hi folks,

Long story short - had sky broadband on BT line over past 2 or so years - rock solid 15mbit/0.9mbit with 33ms ping to dutch servers I play on - all day everyday, I was actually surprised how good the service was, I couldn't praise it enough! That was until my landlady canceled it(both line and BB). I got the line reconnected by BT and signed up for sky broadband - just finished the 10 day tests - 3mb/0.3mb Contacted sky, they're working on it but kinda suggesting fault is not on their side. Phone is messed up too - I can barely hear the dial tone behind all that noise and crackling. If I pick the phone up or there`s an incoming call - 9 out of 10 times broadband goes down. I noticed that the SNR gradually goes down to a point where below 5db the modem constantly disconnects - if i pick the phone up then modem will disconnect, reconnect SNR will go up to its normal level of around 15db and connection is stable for few hours.

Well it wasn't really that short in the end(sorry) but my question to you folks is - where do you think does the problem lie and who do I pester about it more - Sky or BT? My money is on BT but wanted to ask you guys first. I did their online line check and it returns no fault, cant call them from home because of the noise on the line i cant hear anything! I want to call them from work tomorrow based on what you guys say. I should mention that I got confused when ordering that line and BB and ended up with calling plan with both - could that be the problem? Can anyone advise? I dont want to end up paying BT 125 as I know better ways of spending it!

Any help is much appreciated

MaD

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: New old connection - did I mess up? Help appreciated

Do you have an NTE5 master socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Nope, the socket I plug the microfilter into does not divide like the one you linked, and that's the only socket in the flat as far as I know.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If it is the only socket then it's not such an issue-no extension wiring to worry about. Take the faceplate off & you should two wires going into 2 & 5, if those are in OK then all you can try is fitting an NTE5. If you still have noise on the line then it's a line fault.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

madmad (03-02-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you remove the filter and plug the phone in on its own is the noise and crackling still there? If it is it is a fault on your line. Call BT and tell them your line is very noisy and is hardly usable. Don't mention Broadband at all, if you do you will be fobbed off and nothing will be done. You are paying BT for the rental it is up to them to supply you with a usable service. When the noise on your line is fixed, your broadband will improve. If you only have one socket with no extensions, then it cannot be your internal wiring. Tell BT this when they tell you, you will be charged if it is found to be an internal fault, as they inevitably do.

This only applies if your are paying rental to BT, if it is with Sky, then go through the procedure with them, again, do not mention broadband or you will be given the run around.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

madmad (03-02-11)

Thanks

Well when I said the only socket I meant the only socket that appears to be wired to the line. Filter or no filter noise is the same. I paid BT for a year in advance. The thing is that after close inspection I noticed there are signs of tampering with that oval-shaped thingy which i believe is the ancient master socket(this one socket I said i plug the filter to is wired to that thingy). Even though it looks like its been tampered with everything worked fine for over 2 years since Ive been here, that's why I believe the fault lies somewhere else and calls knocking BB out make that belief even stronger. Anyhow, now that the line is in my name I don't want to be made liable should the fault turn out to be the result of that tampering, and knowing the practices in this day and age I'm certain they would charge me and claim my fault even if it wasn't. I guess I have no option other than call the engineer and if they charge me try and contest it? What do you guys think?

Thx a lot, I really appreciate your effort
      MaD

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The oval boxes are hangovers from the days when phones were directly connected to the line. In most cases now they are just used as junction boxes to extend the wiring to the master socket. You should just have one cable wire running into and one running out of this box. If there is more than that, check where the cables are going to, you might find that there is another socket connected somewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Its exactly as you describe it, from oval thingy to this only socket. I have that NTE5 socket in my room but its not connected to anything, and there's another socket in the other room which I cant find out if its connected or not(carpet, furniture etc in the way) but when i plug a phone in it`s dead so my guess is its not connected. Just spoken with BT, engineer coming tomorrow so we will see. Are they supposed to leave any paperwork if they do any actual work on the wiring?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Thanks

If there is noise or other issues in the test port of your master socket you will not be charged for the visit. I had an engineer visit recently and he didn't leave any paperwork. He just asked me my name and scribbled it down on his pad.

Good Luck. Hope it gets sorted.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madmad View Post
      Its exactly as you describe it, from oval thingy to this only socket. I have that NTE5 socket in my room but its not connected to anything, and there's another socket in the other room which I cant find out if its connected or not(carpet, furniture etc in the way) but when i plug a phone in it`s dead so my guess is its not connected. Just spoken with BT, engineer coming tomorrow so we will see. Are they supposed to leave any paperwork if they do any actual work on the wiring?
      It sounds like your internal wiring is in a right mess! So you DO have an NTE5 but it is dead? Sounds like someone has been playing around with wiring to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast