Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can I use Sky LLU services but retain my BT Telephone line?

This is a discussion on Can I use Sky LLU services but retain my BT Telephone line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm considering moving to SKY Broadband Unlimited as my Exchnage is LLU Enabled and the result of the line ...

Xeteskian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberconwy
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I use Sky LLU services but retain my BT Telephone line?

Hi,

I'm considering moving to SKY Broadband Unlimited as my Exchnage is LLU Enabled and the result of the line checker is telling me that I should get between 10-20Mbps.

The issue I have is that my home is a new build, so when I moved in, BT renewed my telephone contract for 18 months.

As I understood it, to get 10-20Mbps LLU services, you have to move internet and telephone, lock stock to the LLU provider.

I spoke to a sky salesman last night and they told me that I can still have Sky LLU Broadband services but retain my BT telephone connection. Is this true?

If it is will I still be plugged into BT's ancient equipment, or will I be plugged into Sky's equipment. For reason's I'm not going to go into because it would take forever, I want to be unplugged from the current BT card I'm in and put into Sky's.

Regards
      Xet

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Can I use Sky LLU services but retain my BT Telephone line?

Yes you can get Sky BB with a BT phone line, it's been this way since forever. You have the OPTION of moving your line to the LLU provider if you want to though (don't, btw)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I know I can get sky BB using a BT line. But I want to be disconnected from BTWS's hardware and plugged in to Sky's LLU Hardware.

Out of interest, why do you say I shouldn't?

Xet

Thanks

Cause if you ever wanna move to another ISP you'd have to get the line moved and BB can't be ordered until the line shows as active so you have downtime

If you can get LLU BB from Sky then chances are they can move you onto the full LLU network - check on the website as it asks if you wanna move or not

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is nothing to stop you keeping BT rental to fulfil your contract and take a Sky Talk package to give you the broadband discount. I, and many others do this. Some who have moved to Sky rental from BT found that their broadband speed was reduced and nothing could be done about it. I have not heard of any who got a speed increase due to the move. Another thing to bare in mind is that if you move your phone rental and you want to move broadband provider in the future you will almost always have to transfer your line back to BT. Sky rental LLU phone lines are not compatible with any other ISP. BT is compatible with all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Basically, if you're still with BT your line goes into the exchange and then routes the data to your ISP. You can choose who you want to be with and it's all nice and easy (see Picture 1)

If you move everything to Sky, you're stuck with them if you want to change BB providers as it's only going to the Sky gear and not through BT (see Picture 2)

*Sorry for quality of pictures

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

Xeteskian (03-02-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Very well put, but I think with TalkTalk you can only go Full Metal Path.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Talk Talk only do "Full LLU", what the OP is best off with is the "Partital LLU".

The think broadband forums have lots of posts about people taking line rental deals and then regretting it later and the general concensus is not to bother.

Also Sky do not allow phone number migration back to BT if you take their line rental.

What is a marginal saving can be a major headache later on down the line.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

OK, Thanks for your relies so far. If I give you guys the full picture, maybee you can advise what you think may be the best course of action, It's a long story so I'll try and summarise...

- I move into new home (Nov 2010)
      - I get connected to BT and sort out my broadband with an ISP thats got great reviews fro it's customer support
      - On connection, I get around 1 day of great connectivity at around 7-8Mbps and then my line bombed. I could get no higher than 300Kbps with the average at around 30K and bottoming out at 2Kbps (basically Unuseable)
      - I report this to my ISP and they ask me to do all the internal tests (i.e test socket, filter, etc which I do with no changes)
      - I begin doing an automated speedtest every 15 mins on my home server and monitoring my Sync Rate, SNR & ATT levels for a in case it was some kind of REIN interference.

Upstream 448
      Downstream 8128
      SNR Margin(Upstream) 28.0
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 16.8
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 13.0
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 19.0

IP Profile 7150

My line is solid with very rare disconnects (can go a couple of weeks before I lose a connection)
      - From these results ISP arrange openreach engineer to my property, he comes, can't find a problem and reports it as a customer fault
      - ISP argues with BT telling them that it's not a customer fault
      - BT eventually admit that the VP's that I'm connected to are running hot, no plans for capacity upgrade and that they continue to monitor (goes on for 3 weeks)
      - ISP demand that I be moved to a different circuit, eventually BT concede and do the move (a week last Monday)
      - On move line immediately jumps to 7Mbps. This averages out at around 5-7Mbps throughout the day but between 00:00 and 08:00 I get very bad interference, packet loss and latency. This doesn't bother me as I wouldn't be using it during these times anyway.
      - Last Sunday at 19:00 my line drops from 7Mbps back to 33Kbps, stays this way until 08:00 the next day where it jumps back up to 2Mbps.
      - Has since been stable at 2Mbps (including the overnight times) but never goes higher.
      - Since this time, my telephone number is not recognised by speedtester.bt.com so I can't verify my IP Profile to find out if it's still at 7Mbps
      - I know I can get at least 5Mbps and should be peaking at 7Mbps. I'm currently blaming BT's crap hardware, but could it be something else?

Aaaanyway - that's the story, and that's why I'm considering moving to an LLU provider so that I can be plugged into different hardware from BT Wholesale.

Any advice?

Xet

Thanks

The BB gear is separate from the phone so you'd go through Sky's LLU but you could keep BT for the line. Best way

Plus there's no IP profile on LLU, you get what you sync at. Only time it goes wrong is if the backhaul network has issues (which is rare but does happen)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

Xeteskian (03-02-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast