Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband dropping connection

This is a discussion on Sky broadband dropping connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here is the issue:- been with sky two years everything is fantastic. Download speed of 18.5meg Upload 1.2meg no problems. ...

rhforrester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky broadband dropping connection

Here is the issue:- been with sky two years everything is fantastic. Download speed of 18.5meg Upload 1.2meg no problems.

I have 2 PS3 attached to the router (wired)
      I have 2 PC attached to router (wired)

1 Laptop Wireless plus two Ipods. I have no issued everthing works great and has done for the last two years. My router upgraded to firmware 2.8 when I replaced my old HD box to the new 1 TB HD box, again nothing changed with the wireing.

Over over the past two weeks my conection to the internet goes down, I go into the room and look at my router and there is no flashing yellow light just a solid green. I cannot connect to the router setting using a PC that is wired??

I use the master socket , have no other phones plugged in and have changed the filter.

What I do not undestand is how does the connection drop to the router on all PCs and PS3 but the light stays green. In addition I have monitored the noise margin over two weeks and it does not drop below 7.1. I have to reset the router before I can reconnect but 4 hours later or a day later it does it again.

Trust me I spend two days befoe my sky was installed making sure there were no line issued

Now I am fairly tech savy but this one has stumped me. ... any ideas .

attached stats
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky broadband dropping connection-capture12.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband dropping connection

Nothing wrong with your internet connection, I would say it is wireless that is causing the problem, probably other stations interfering with your network. Go into the router settings and change the channel the router is broadcasting on. You could start with channel 13 and work your way down.

If you want to do it properly and not by trial and error, download Inssider from the link below and use this to discover the channels in use in your area. Set yours to a channel as far from those in use as possible.

When you are adjusting the wireless setting, use a wired connection, as you are likely to loose a wireless connection to the router when a change is made.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

rhforrester (30-01-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice Isitme..... Can I ask if all my systems are hard wired apart from one would the wirless knock out the computers and PS3 that are connected to the router by ethernet. I am trying to understand the logic in that.

For example, how would the wirless connection affect the connections that are hard wired

cheers

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It could be building up errors whitch eventually hang the router.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smithy99 For This Useful Post:

rhforrester (30-01-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers I download Inssider which was recommened by Isitme. seem 19 Wireless connection in my area most on Channel 1 , 6 and 11. I have changed the channel and will see how it goes today. Will report back with an update tommorow,

Thanks all for advice

Exchange:
      Thanks

New Router arrived today as the old one died. I did have a Sagem Fast but the have sent me D LInk see attached stats , everything going great
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky broadband dropping connection-dslrouter.jpg