Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connect download limit question

This is a discussion on connect download limit question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i am on connect, and had problems in the past with them throttling me a lot - the interent is ...

t3rm3y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

connect download limit question

i am on connect, and had problems in the past with them throttling me a lot - the interent is unusable in the evening.
      i have never gone over the 40 gig limit, but occasionally d/l over 5gig in one night.
      and then it is throttled,
      I have searched this forum, and understand the limit is 1.3gigs per day? is this just at peak time? since some months i dont hardly use the internet, then ill stream a film, or download a number of packs for games on the xbox. (fallout 3 had about 4 extra maps at over a gig each).
      I am wondering if it is ok to download off peak - during the night / weekends, and as long as not going over 40 gigs will my speed stay ok during evenings?

if not, is there a programme out there where i can set the amount to download and then switch off, and do it over a number of nights?
      cheers

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: connect download limit question

Sky Connect is short on capacity no matter how much you download.

If you do go over the 1.3gb per day then it just gets a bit worse.

The only soloution is to leave and go with a better managed ISP.

t3rm3y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

i would,but were we live i have to take these rubbish packages, any suggestions of a better managed isp?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You should consider Plusnet, Zen, Idnet, if you are a gamer then Plusnet ga,ers package is hard to beat for pings etc.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I used to be with Eclipse. They resell BT products, but have a smaller customer base than Sky.

Their Home Pro package has a monthly limit of 100Gb, but it is unlimited between 11pm & 9am. This is around 30.

Alternatively you could look at their Business Bronze package. For 19.95 per month, you have 50Gb monthly limit, with no limit between 11pm & 9am.

It is also worth noting that their limits apply to downloads, not uploads. I trust that this is that case with their fibre products, which offer you vastly improved speeds (up & down).

So a third option is Fibre, with a daily limit of 100Gb or 200Gb, unlimited at night between 11pm & 9am.

As you can see from other responses, there are many alternatives to choose from, so do look around. Use sites such as Samknows to see if anyone has a presence in your local telephone exchange, they can often offer really good packages for you. Other sites to use include thinkbroadband, who will provide you with a list of deals available from a whole variety of ISPs.

You've been caught by the problems on Sky Connect. Use the information you've learnt to help you seek a new ISP. Search the web for comments by existing customers, both good and bad.

To answer your other question:

There are many software packages who can advise you how much you are using on a daily or monthly basis, but these are tied to a single PC/Laptop. If you have another PC connected, then the both need to have the program installed and you need to add the figures together.

N.B. All prices correct at time & date of posting. I don't & never have worked for the companies mentioned in this post.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms