Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky broadband repeatedly disconnecting

This is a discussion on Sky broadband repeatedly disconnecting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It looks like an intermittent line fault to me, does your router light go orange for a few seconds when ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband repeatedly disconnecting

It looks like an intermittent line fault to me, does your router light go orange for a few seconds when the connection drops? This is the sort of graph which would say a lot to a broadband engineer, if Sky would send one out. Unfortunately they are reluctant to do this due to the cost, they would rather send out a phone engineer, who although good at their job, has no training for broadband faults.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      skyguy1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The connection has been solid since yesterday afternoon now, good speed, low noise. Router stats kinda stopped working yesterday, the connection speed/noise margin were both on zero solidly for over an hour but my internet was definitely working fine.

Anyway I'll probably see how it goes for now, thanks for everyone's help.

x98
      x98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSCA
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Those routerstats graphs, they show the routerstats program losing touch with the router, they are definitely not disconnections. Afterall, you wouldn't re-connect at exactly the same sync speed everytime.

I've seen this before on routerstats, the software polls the router every XX seconds/minutes, but sometimes fails to get a response from the router.

HTH a little

rhforrester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98 View Post
      Those routerstats graphs, they show the routerstats program losing touch with the router, they are definitely not disconnections. Afterall, you wouldn't re-connect at exactly the same sync speed everytime.

I've seen this before on routerstats, the software polls the router every XX seconds/minutes, but sometimes fails to get a response from the router.

HTH a little
      I am having the exact same problem. My broadband connection drop to all my PS3 and PC but the lights on the router stays a constant green. The details you have shown are 100% the same as what i am going through. I connect to the Larbert Exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bump. Problems came back, I've phoned sky several times:

- last night a customer service person said they would monitor the line and phone me if nothing changed in 24 hours, and then get on to the exchange. needless to say I haven't been called.

- today I phoned up again, went through the tedious process of informing them I'd already tried the master socket, resetting the router etc. and they said customer solutions would call me back within 72 hours. I asked to be put through straight away because the last time they told me this customer solutions never called back, but was told no.

- rang back later, asked to speak to customer solutions and got straight through (consistency???)

The gist is they want me to get hold of 2 corded phones to test the line. I repeatedly stated the problem occurs even without the phone connected. Is there something I'm missing? I just want them to send another engineer out, this is just ridiculous.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There was a 72 hour 'rule' enforced when there were a lot of tickets to get through around December last year, but you can be put through to CST straight off now - advisors who tell you different are too ignorant or lazy to read briefs properly. (Unless this has changed since my last shift).

Reading back over the thread, you mentioned that you get noise on the line without the dsl cable plugged in, right? As I mentioned earlier, have you tried plugging the handset directly into the test socket with no other equipment at all? If so, do you still have noise present?

Exchange:
      Thanks

The noise level is the same with the phone plugged directly into the test socket. I thought it was pretty strange that the first person I spoke to tonight was adamant I couldn't be put straight through and the second time I phoned I was immediately put through.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Essentially if you're still able to hear any kind of noise with the phone direct into the test socket, with no other equipment in the test socket at all, then you're looking at one of two things:

1. Possible faulty handset. However, it's doubtful if you're dropping sync also.
      2. Line/exchange fault. This is more likely given the fact that you've had a previous 'cleared' fault and that your bb sync is also affected.

Call 17070 from your phone - do you get through to the BT testing facility or 'Zoe'?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I get through to "Zoe". Someone advised me to phone the telephone support line and take it up with them so I'm going to try that.

Just to clarify, I have told Sky the faults occur when no phone is connected to the filter. Surely this means the phone can't be the issue? Or am I missing something?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

But if it's a voice side fault then regardless of phone BB will still drop.

To confirm: test socket, no filter, phone plugged straight in on its own = noise on the line? If so, voice side issue, call SkyTalk
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast