Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Connect question

This is a discussion on Sky Connect question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, im on the sky connect package, and didnt realise there was a 40gb/m cap on this package. andive gone ...

DEAGLE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Connect question

hi, im on the sky connect package, and didnt realise there was a 40gb/m cap on this package. andive gone and downloaded almost 300gb in the last few weeks. until i read that there was a 40gb cap. fearing that i will be billed extra for going over the limit, i emailed sky and explained, and they told me that they have no idea how much ive downloaded because im on sky connect.and there is no way of them puting extra charges on the account.

so im assuming its bt that monitor my usage. what actualy happens if you go over the cap? im downloading at full speed at the moment just to test. my connection between 4pm and 12am is non existent anyway. will they slow me down during off peek hours too?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect question

Post your stats please, to do 300GB on the worst package in the country is impressive

How to get your router statistics

How did you NOT know it was a 40GB a month limit?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 6.5db 6.0db
      Noise Margin 15.0db 31.0db

my fiancée set up the broadband with sky as she already had sky tv contract. she told me she paid a little extra to get unlimited download. after reading up on what sky connect actually was, i questioned her and it turns out we were miss sold the unlimited topup. after we rang, we were told that we weren't being charged for it anyway. i use torrents (private), and i know for a fact just by looking at what ive downloaded that i have downloaded at least 200 odd gig since mid December. let alone http traffic.

so back to my question. what will actually happen if i continue to download at this volume?

Thanks

Severe throttling, extra charges and possibility of cease of service if you don't reduce usage

You've got an awesome line and on an LLU connection would fly along - what exchange are you on? Are there no LLU providers available?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

we were told that we weren't being charged for it anyway
      Have you checked your account? Many get a discount on Connect, but I have never heard of it being given free.

what will actually happen if i continue to download at this volume?
      Probably nothing except others are being throttled because of your high download. At one time it was claimed that Sky would throttle you if you downloaded more than 1.3Gb a day, it seems that is not now the case. Sky appear to be paying BT in bulk for the bandwidth they use if they don't know what an individual is using. I would have thought BT could have supplied that information, but they would probably charge extra for supplying it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

why thank you very much sir.. no unfortunately there are no LLU providers. its pretty crap as were getting charged more for less. i asked sky about my exchange (Haverfordwest (SWHV))

they said-
      Unfortunately we do not have any information relating to your exchange regarding current and future upgrade plans. We are in the process of upgrading more exchanges to bring them onto the Sky Network and if your exchange is due to be upgraded you will be notified by letter beforehand however at this moment in time it is not possible to say whether your exchange will be upgraded or when.
      Robert
      Sky Knowledge Advisor

Thanks

Nearly 7000 people on that exchange, I'm surprised no one has gone into it yet...shame

And CST know what you're using, takes 5 seconds to find out - they don't know what, just the amount

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry. what is CST?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ahh customer service team heres the email they sent-

Thank you for your email about your broadband usage limit.
      I’m sorry this issue has caused you concern and hope my reply below clarifies the position for you.
      As you are on our broadband connect package we do not have the facility to monitor your usage, so therefore there's no need to worry as we will not charge you for going over you usage.
      I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our sky help team on 08442 41 41 41, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Kind regards
      David

Thanks

Actually, Customer Solutions Team - top level of Broadband technical support. That email won't be from them as they don't send emails, and that email makes no sense as they (Sky) do know how much you're downloading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast