Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why has my speed been capped, and what to do?

This is a discussion on Why has my speed been capped, and what to do? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok the concise history. Many years ago was told by Pipex I couldnt get 1Mb broadband. A BT engineer came ...

yorkie_pudd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Intake, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Why has my speed been capped, and what to do?

Ok the concise history.

Many years ago was told by Pipex I couldnt get 1Mb broadband. A BT engineer came and said I could get 2Mb easily, so set my profile to get the upgrade, which I got and it was faultless.

Changed to BBMax when it became available and synced at around 5Mb.

Changed to Sky Broadband around 3 years ago, sync was around 5.5Mb, using the 'Netgear Untility' that allowed me to tweak the SNR to find the best speed but still stable connection( I was still on BT for the phone at this point).

I changed to SKyTalk last January (so was fully unbundled) and my sync fell to a best stable speed of 4.5 - 5Mb, but I was still happy enough.

Last August the Netgear DG834GT died. Sky kindly sent me a free replacement Sagem, which caused my speed to fall to 4.4Mb approx, but was still stable.

Mid January this year and my sync was all over the place between 768kbps up to 3.5 Mb, so I got a 2nd hand Sky DG834GT, installed today, connected, and still only synced at 3Mb, so after much investigation I went on to MySky and guess what,

"Your connection details
      Line connection testing completed on 22/01/2011

Download Speed
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to
      3.0Mb (3072Kb) ".

WTF - I had never bothered checking this as it always said "Your connection details are not available" or similar.

Who are Sky to tell me what speed I can sync at, and more to the point, what can I do about it?

Rant over, (for know at least).
      Last edited by yorkie_pudd; 25-01-11 at 06:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Why has my speed been capped, and what to do?

You could post your stats, from the normal position and from the Test socket using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to get your router statistics
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Thanks

To maximise my speed I ahve always been plugged directly into a filtered faceplate on the main socket - the BT engineer said there ws no difference between this and the test socket when he checked my line.

I was tweaking my settings to achieve an attenuation of 53dB with a margin of 6dB which gave a perfectly stable connection of between 5 and 5.5Mb with uninterrupted uptime of weeks, not hours and little or no data packet errors.

Now I am showing 54dB and a margin of 9.4dB on my 'fixed' sync speed of 3072Kb

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It's likely that Sky switched your line to ADSL2+ when you moved to SkyTalk (from ADSL1 aka G.DMT), this has the tendency to increase the attenuation figure slightly. DLM automatically re-runs at that point too. The DG834GT failing probably upset DLM and caused a drop in speed.

Best bet is to call Sky and ask them to switch your line back to G.DMT and manually configure it.

5.5 Mbps with a 53db attenuation is v fast though.

Thanks

Agreed, I was very suprised (but satisfied) with the speed as was.

Anyways, rang sky today and they have decided my line CAN go faster and have set it at 4608 up and 860 down, so a result of sorts.