Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Slow Speeds - New Router?

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds - New Router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have had sky broadband for 3 years now and the speed has been between the ~5.5 Mb/s mark, ...

KACE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow Speeds - New Router?

Hi I have had sky broadband for 3 years now and the speed has been between the ~5.5 Mb/s mark, connection is very stable (at that time my line only supported 8Mb/s - so I was happy).

However in 2009 my line was upgraded to the 21CN/ASDL2+ network, and bt claims that my speeds should be ~15 Mb/s (infact I have seen a user who runs off the same exchange and gets 13Mb/s). I not expecting to get exactly 15 but surely my connection has to be near this, I am still stuck on 5.5Mb/s.

Connection Speed 5536 kbps | 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db | 17.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db | 8.5 db

Should I get a new router? Please Help Thankyou

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds - New Router?

Don't need a new router but your setup is holding things back. Try in the test socket and repost stats:

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

However in 2009 my line was upgraded to the 21CN/ASDL2+ network
      This has no effect on your connection, which was upgraded to this standard when you joined Sky, BT are playing 'catchup' in this respect.
      If you have been getting low speeds since you joined then something is wrong with your wiring, either external or internal. The only way to discover which is to do as suggested and plug into your Test socket. Note that you will not see a great increase in speed as it will be capped, but other figures will show what you can get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This has no effect on your connection, which was upgraded to this standard when you joined Sky, BT are playing 'catchup' in this respect.
      If you have been getting low speeds since you joined then something is wrong with your wiring, either external or internal. The only way to discover which is to do as suggested and plug into your Test socket. Note that you will not see a great increase in speed as it will be capped, but other figures will show what you can get.
      When I initially got sky, I still had BT line rental, and both BT, Sky, and the BT website says my line, considering distance, should expect speeds upto 6Mb/s (ASDL1 - max 8Mb/s). Then BT upgraded this to ASDL2+ and now their website says it expects speeds of 15 Mb/s (max 24Mb/s), also I switiched to sky line rental, so why are the speeds faster. Surely the new ASDL2+ is a physical improvement over the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Don't need a new router but your setup is holding things back. Try in the test socket and repost stats:

I check this when I can

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You're already on ADSL2+, Sky have always used this
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Ok so I have ASDL2+ my attentuation is 31db what speed should I be getting? I got off the phone from sky they say my speed should be 6.5Mb/s. What is problem?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You haven't posted your stats from the TEST socket yet as requested above so we cannot tell you what the problem is.

It looks like your internal setup is the problem but we need to see those stats.

Thanks

Ok so I have ASDL2+ my attentuation is 31db what speed should I be getting?
      No one can say exactly. With an excellent line you could get 15-16Mb, but more normally you would get 12-14Mb. Until you post as requested, there is no way to tell.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You haven't posted your stats from the TEST socket yet as requested above so we cannot tell you what the problem is.

It looks like your internal setup is the problem but we need to see those stats.
      New stats, infact I did this during peak times so it turns out to actually be less.

Connection Speed 5248 kbps 496 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 17.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.5 db

also my house has only one bt box (and no extensions) so there isn't going to be much of a difference,

The sky user forum Boomish used to get 5.9Mb/s (2006) and now get 10-13Mb/s (2010) - same exchange, larger attenuation whats the issue?

Phoned Sky they insist that my speed is limited to 6.5Mb/s, I doubt they (support guy) even knows what ASDL2+ is

Are you sure sky has always been ASDL2+, sky say they use the same line as BT, but BT certainly upgraded from ASDL to ASDL2+ in 2009

Thanks

If you only have one socket and are connecting only the router plugged into a filter, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky, then you have a fault in your external line.

The sky user forum Boomish used to get 5.9Mb/s (2006) and now get 10-13Mb/s (2010) - same exchange, larger attenuation whats the issue?
      The issue is that you have noise on your line which will only allow you to connect at the speed you are getting. His issue was different as he was capped down lower than necessary, you can see this from his high noise margin.

Are you sure sky has always been ASDL2+, sky say they use the same line as BT, but BT certainly upgraded from ASDL to ASDL2+ in 2009
      When BT enable their exchange for 21CNWBC, the equipment in the exchange is upgraded, nothing to do with the actual line. Sky already have this equipment in the exchange and always have done right from the start. The only Sky broadband which does not use Sky exchange equipment are those unfortunates on Connect, where Sky have not enabled the exchange.. You are not on that, so you have that to be thankful for.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast