Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Slow Speeds - New Router?

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds - New Router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky Protect covers all your Sky equipment - The official Sky Protection Plan - Sky Protect...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow Speeds - New Router?

Sky Protect covers all your Sky equipment -
      The official Sky Protection Plan - Sky Protect

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      KACE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I am also thinking of getting a filtered faceplate for the socket, dont know whether it will show much of a difference. Anyway this is what I found on ebay, is it viable:

NTE2000 ADSL FACEPLATE FOR BT MASTER SOCKET on eBay (end time 11-Mar-11 15:07:05 GMT)

the info says "unfiltered ADSL" is this correct? Also what is the difference between this and the BT Accelerator/iPlate?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I've got one of them, basically when your extensions are wired in there's no BB signal being carried as it's isolated to the master faceplate. Means filters aren't needed anywhere else in the house
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Also what is the difference between this and the BT Accelerator/iPlate?
      This filters out all your other wiring leaving a clean direct connection for ADSL. The iPlate only filters the bell wire and I believe supplies a bit of RF filtering. Compared to the filtered plate it is a waste of money in my opinion.

If the product advertised in your link is genuine, it must be 'back of lorry stock' as these cost about twice that at reputable sources. - BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This filters out all your other wiring leaving a clean direct connection for ADSL. The iPlate only filters the bell wire and I believe supplies a bit of RF filtering. Compared to the filtered plate it is a waste of money in my opinion.

If the product advertised in your link is genuine, it must be 'back of lorry stock' as these cost about twice that at reputable sources. - BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version
      What do you mean by "back of lorry" stock, are you saying its dogy even though its cheaper, how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NTE2000-ADSL-F...item3cae8fd1f7

Also considering my system setup:

and all the testing sky and BT have done, would it be safe to keep my alternate socket, for ease of use?
      Last edited by KACE; 10-02-11 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

What do you mean by "back of lorry" stock, are you saying its dogy even though its cheaper, how about this one:
      'back of lorry' = not legally obtained or cheap imitation.

I am saying it could be dodgy because it is so cheap. The second link you give is for the genuine article, which is around the proper price for the product and is on sale by a well established seller.

Have you tried disconnecting the 'alternate' socket from the junction box and taking your stats from the original BT Test socket? Sorry if you have done this, but the thread is a bit long to keep referring back.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Well I got the new router today (D-Link), and suprise, suprise it has changed nothing. Here are the stats.

Connection Speed 5701 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0db 17.1db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 8.5db

Sky continuously insist that my line can only support a maximum of 6.5Mb/s, i dont know what else to do?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the 2nd box?

I appreciate that this is the one that you like to plug your router into, but it is not a standard setup and could well be the cause of your problem.

If after disconnecting it you find that there is no change, you can easily reconnect it.

On the other hand, it things clean up nicely, then you have some clear decisions to make (i.e. return to how it was or seek another solution to getting a network to the other part of your home).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The lenght of this thread is confusing everyone, so I will briefly explain what has happened.

My current stats are like this:
      Connection Speed 5649 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0db 17.2db
      Noise Margin 6.8db 7.5db

Based on my attenuation I assume I should be getting close to 14Mb/s (also told by sky sales team), I am clearly nowhere near it. This has been an issue ever since I got sky broadband back in 2007. It appears much noise margin is too low to ever reach that estimated speed.

After many conversations with sky (08442414141), who insist that my line supports a maximum of 6.5Mb/s. They did some line tests and said that with my router plugged in there is an error called "Rectified Loop error". So they said my router is faulty and I need to a buy a new one off them for 28.

After recieving my replacement router, I set it all up, disconnected every other telephone device, and yet all my stats and speed remain unchanged.

What else can I do? I've seen on this website many people complaining about similar issue to the point an engineer comes round to their house and fixes it, but sky simply will not do this.

Also what is the best number to get to the right support staff

Thanks

What else can I do?
      As Scubbie and I suggest. Disconnect the alternate socket from the junction box and try the main Test socket. If there is still no improvement then it is an external fault so you will have to keep pressing Sky to get it fixed.

By the way, I would ask Sky for a refund for the other router as it has not fixed the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast