Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Slow Speeds - New Router?

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds - New Router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme You said earlier, post 9, that you only had one socket, now it appears you have ...

KACE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds - New Router?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You said earlier, post 9, that you only had one socket, now it appears you have two. You can do as Smithy suggests or simply disconnect one of the sockets from the junction box. If I were you I would disconnect one, preferably the one fitted by the previous owner, and take your stats from the original one. See what the difference is. If there is an appreciable difference then you can move on from there.
      sorry for not making it clear before, the alternate socket does have its own test socket which is the one I used. Just so everyone understands the alternate socket is not an extension running off the BT master socket, it comes directly from the main line. I will disconnect the alternate socket and see what happens.
      Last edited by KACE; 22-01-11 at 05:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

update:
      I removed the alternate socket, plug my router directly into the test socket of the BT master socket and then used the shortest RJ11 cable (from router to filter) and these are my results:

Connection Speed 5614 kbps 496 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 17.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 8.5 db

it pretty much the same, what can I do?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Get BT out to rewire the house, might cost a bit but it'll be sorted for the future
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Get BT out to rewire the house, might cost a bit but it'll be sorted for the future
      I am on sky line rental, should I call them? if not how do i contact BT and how much will it cost?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Although you have not gained much, the drop in attenuation shows the other socket was causing some problems.

If your rental is with Sky you will have to go through them for any improvements. What you could try is complaining about the fact that the speed you are receiving is much lower than what you were promised. That may force them to send out an engineer to look at your line and hopefully make improvements.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Although you have not gained much, the drop in attenuation shows the other socket was causing some problems.

If your rental is with Sky you will have to go through them for any improvements. What you could try is complaining about the fact that the speed you are receiving is much lower than what you were promised. That may force them to send out an engineer to look at your line and hopefully make improvements.
      I phoned sky, the guy did a quick test on my line and insisted that I should be expecting speeds of 6.5Mb/s and currently I am getting close to that. I told them that based on my distance to the exchange that I should be getting much higher and infact when I bought sky they said I could get around 15Mb/s, but he kept saying that my actual line length differs despite my road distance.

Just to be sure with an attenuation of 27dB I should be getting 15Mb/s and the issue is on the external line, and sky should call an engineer out to repair it?

Thanks

The point is not that your line can only support 6.5Mb but the fact that you were told you would get 10 Mb+. Let's say you based your choice of ISP on what speed they could provide. Sky say 10-20Mb, BE, eg, say 7Mb, you choose Sky on that basis. They are providing no where near that, so you have been mis-sold the product. It is up to them to make every effort to get your speed up to what was offered, even if it means getting broadband engineers out to your line.

The attenuation is an indication of your actual line length and condition, it has nothing to do with the road length. Yours indicates that you should be getting around 16Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The point is not that your line can only support 6.5Mb but the fact that you were told you would get 10 Mb+. Let's say you based your choice of ISP on what speed they could provide. Sky say 10-20Mb, BE, eg, say 7Mb, you choose Sky on that basis. They are providing no where near that, so you have been mis-sold the product. It is up to them to make every effort to get your speed up to what was offered, even if it means getting broadband engineers out to your line.

The attenuation is an indication of your actual line length and condition, it has nothing to do with the road length. Yours indicates that you should be getting around 16Mb.
      Thanks I get to it on Thursday, and report back. Should I also mention that "my attenuation shows that I should be expecting speeds in the 16Mb/s."

Thanks

It depends on who you are speaking too. Some of the Tier ones will think you are talking about standing straight with your heels together. Others will understand the significance, so it is probably worth mentioning.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I phoned sky today (thursday), the support officer said that currently I am getting 5Mb/s and I should be getting ~14Mb/s, so he said he was going to run a DLM test to restabalise the line and this should complete in 72hrs. If the speed doesn't increase then phone back and the issue will be escalated to an engineer. Finally someone who appreciates what I am talking about.

I didn't really understand the man's explanation of "DLM to restabalise the line", could you expain further?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast