Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Slow Speeds - New Router?

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds - New Router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme If you only have one socket and are connecting only the router plugged into a filter, ...

KACE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds - New Router?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you only have one socket and are connecting only the router plugged into a filter, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky, then you have a fault in your external line.

The issue is that you have noise on your line which will only allow you to connect at the speed you are getting. His issue was different as he was capped down lower than necessary, you can see this from his high noise margin.
      Hi, well I was reading through this thread

anyway, he wasn't capped, he was in the exact same situation I was those years ago, except I chose not to do anything about. Back then sky said my line physically supported a max of 8Mb/s and I probably get around the ~6Mb/s mark, which I did so I just lived with it.

But now what do you suggest is the problem, external fault, or am I also being capped?

Also "Noise Margin" I though that value fluctuates depending on the time of day, being low during the peak hours, bear in mind that I posted those results at 20:00, the sky customer service isnt really helpful. They told me they were rolling some sort of independent technology out across the country, maybe fibre optic?

Btw, what is the difference between LLU and BT Wholesale connect

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

anyway, he wasn't capped, he was in the exact same situation
      He was, and he was not. His figures showed that his line was capped as the noise margin was consistently above the default, yours is not. The noise margin will fluctuate during the day, but not to any great extent. If your router is set up as in the first para of my last post then you have an external fault. Unless you are using a long trailing extension to plug into the socket, your internal wiring cannot be interfering.

Sky LLU means Sky have equipment in the exchange capable of ADSL2+. BT's WBC is the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I am currently using the supplied ADSL filter, should I get a faceplate? Also I have a 7m long ADSL cable, the one that connects from router to filter, shortening that to 2m, would it make a noticeable difference? I also noticed that Boomish's line was capped onto ADSL1, maybe I have the same issue?

Thanks

I know you keep comparing your connection to Boomish's, but the situations are entirely different. His main problem was that his internal wiring was causing a lot of interference, thus reducing his speed. You only have one socket so this does not apply to you - Speed test by easynet/sky?

A 7m ADSL cable should make little difference provided it is of good quality. If it is only a flat telephone wire extension with RJ11 plugs, then it could make a difference. Try the cable supplied by Sky and see what difference you get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

A 7m ADSL cable should make little difference provided it is of good quality. If it is only a flat telephone wire extension with RJ11 plugs, then it could make a difference. Try the cable supplied by Sky and see what difference you get.
      Ok, I will try an find my old cable, anyway if my line attenuation is 31db what speed should I be expecting and what possible reason is there for me to be not be close to that?

Also I dont live in the flat, a standard semi detached house. I remember when I first got sky the highest speed I got was 9720 Kb/s, but this was literally 3 days after i got sky, my speed fluctuated for a couple of days, then it has been a stable 5.5 Mb/s since. Also i get some wierd interference noise from the phone I have connected to the same socket, it happens occasionally but not all the time.

Also on my sky account and interesting bit of information:

Thankyou
      Last edited by KACE; 20-01-11 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks

my line attenuation is 31db what speed should I be expecting and what possible reason is there for me to be not be close to that?
      As I have already suggested, a fault in your wiring will cause excessive noise on your line thus reducing your speed. Check with the supplied cable to be sure that your ADSL cable is not causing the problem. If you get the same result, then a fault on the line or the exchange equipment is most likely. With your attenuation you would normally get 12-14Mb.

Your Service Details show you were originally given an estimate of 10-20Mb, as you are no where near that it may be worth raising the issue with Sky. They are supposed to supply a speed which is somewhere near their estimate, so should be obliged to do something about it. Check with the Sky cable first though, just in case it is the culprit.

TomD

Useful Utilites

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

KACE (21-01-11)

Thanks

As I have already suggested, a fault in your wiring will cause excessive noise on your line thus reducing your speed. Check with the supplied cable to be sure that your ADSL cable is not causing the problem. If you get the same result, then a fault on the line or the exchange equipment is most likely. With your attenuation you would normally get 12-14Mb.

Your Service Details show you were originally given an estimate of 10-20Mb, as you are no where near that it may be worth raising the issue with Sky. They are supposed to supply a speed which is somewhere near their estimate, so should be obliged to do something about it. Check with the Sky cable first though, just in case it is the culprit.
      Thanks for the help, I can't seem to find the original cable, I will have to go out and buy it seems. Any way if it doesn't work, can I ask sky to do something about it or is it BT (I pay line rental to sky).

Also this is a diagram of the telephone network within my house. I am concerned about the divider, would splitting the main cable have an effect?

Last edited by KACE; 21-01-11 at 07:45 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

How is the line initially split where it enteres the house?

This is where a master socket should be then all the others will connect to it as extensions.

You should fit an NTE5 socket to the main incomming line at this split and then connect the other two sockets to its faceplate. Fit a filtered faceplate and then run the router from it, this will give you the best connection for your steup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      How is the line initially split where it enteres the house?

This is where a master socket should be then all the others will connect to it as extensions.

You should fit an NTE5 socket to the main incomming line at this split and then connect the other two sockets to its faceplate. Fit a filtered faceplate and then run the router from it, this will give you the best connection for your steup.
      The spliter is literally incoming line -> junction box -> 2x outgoing lines. If I change this to the original 1x outgoing line would that interfere with BT side of things or even make a difference to the speed? Is my line on DLM or not, how can I check this.
      Last edited by KACE; 22-01-11 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks

You said earlier, post 9, that you only had one socket, now it appears you have two. You can do as Smithy suggests or simply disconnect one of the sockets from the junction box. If I were you I would disconnect one, preferably the one fitted by the previous owner, and take your stats from the original one. See what the difference is. If there is an appreciable difference then you can move on from there.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast