Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

For us simple people

This is a discussion on For us simple people within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When asked questions can anyone actually reply in simple terms instead of hi tech speak. I'm having slow speeds. Everytime ...

jarr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

For us simple people

When asked questions can anyone actually reply in simple terms instead of hi tech speak. I'm having slow speeds. Everytime I post it people ask for ping this, upload that, etc, etc but never explain how you get it. Anyone decent out there who can explain it for normal non anoraks?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: For us simple people

It's not hi-tech speak, it's the same terminology Sky would use when calling them. If there's something you don't understand either Google it or ask for clarification
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi
      It is "high tech speak" and that is just what the problem is. 99.9% of users do not understand most of what the ISP teckys are asking them or telling them. This does not only apply to SKY it applies to all ISPs. This is also not helped by ISPs using foreign call centres and employees who's accents, and therefore what they are trying to say, are all but indiscernable Fine for someone like me or you IWNTE and, in fact, I have made quite a bit of pocket money over the years either taking the phonecalls for people or sorting their broadband connections out for them. I will qualify some of what I have said by saying that technology has introduced a lot of it's own language to refer to stuff that a few years ago most of us had absolutely no concept of. That does make it very difficult to explain to someone over the phone what you actualy want them to do.

Whilst trying very hard not to start a debate over this I have to say that if ISPs are going to sell their product to the general public they are either going to have to make it much much more user friendly or make it so that the end user does not have to interact with technology. I will admit that to an extent SKY have actually tried to do this, or at least, started to do this by only concentrating on their supplied equipment and preprograming everyone's details into their routers.

I have always tried to explain to people what I am doing in the plainest speech I can apply to the situation. I reiterate, that this can be difficult at times because of the specific wording that has to be used sometimes. Years ago, when I started using computers, I was very concious of the fact that computer "experts" always seemd to be talking down to me. This now seems to be the case with technical support for broadband and, I have to say, that does seem to be the way that some of the questions on this forum, and other forums, appear to be answered.

Cheers

Pete

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It is never going to be easy to explain everything to the person with whom you are communicating.

If for example I were to compare bandwidth with the size of a water pipe, then most people would understand the concept that a larger pipe will deliver water faster than a narrow pipe.

If I were to explain that to someone new to computing, the they would appreciate it. If I were to explain it to someone who has worked in the industry for the last 20 years, then they would never want to talk with me again.

The information that is required to gauge someone's knowledge on a subject is not available in forums like this. The people who respond to questions do so freely and without recompense. They are not mind readers.

Much of the advice provided in sites like this will have a degree of technical information buried within the response. The asker is free to ask for clarification of technical terms, but ultimately errors will always be made.

I have been in a position where I have had to charge customers repeatedly for plugging a machine back in. The plug & socket were often clearly visible. Where do you start & where do you stop?

The onus has to be with the asker to either research the topic a little before getting lost, or ask for the road signs to be made larger. Short of going around to everyone's home, there is little else the moderators of this forum can do. I am sure that many of the regular contributors of this forum would be able to resolve many of the issues in under 30 mins if they were at the person's home, but who is going to pay their expenses when Sky would charge (I believe) 65 for a visit?

Remember: There is no stupid question

Also site like Google & Wikipedia have the ability to help someone understand technical jargon.

Finally: If you were to ask someone 200 years ago what a television looks like, what answer do you think you would have go?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Is there a glossary page here explaining terminology?

Could be a good idea if not.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

-------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BritBrat View Post
      Is there a glossary page here explaining terminology?

Could be a good idea if not.
      There are a number of websites available with this information.

IWNTE has hinted at searching, but perhaps a clearer idea might help in this instance...

Google - technical terminology dictionary

I started to compose an example of a couple of things, but soon realised just how big the task would be. sorry, it would be too big a task for one person to accomplish and I'm not volunteering for it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The problem is we live in a technology biased world and no matter how much you simplify it it's still technology. If you want to understand what is happening then you have to take the time to find out enough to allow you to understand the technology.

Broadband is all about technology and people on here do assume some basic level of understanding usually discovered by using Google.

The problem is people who refuse to do a little research themselves and then complain they don't understand.

If you really don't understand and have no intention of finding out (by reading around the subject) then it's time to call in a professional who will do it all for you. It will cost but you have to decide whether your time is worth more than the cost of paid for help. After all you take a car to a garage to diagnose and repair a fault and pay for that.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I would have done a Google and found out but the OP seems not to have done that.

I just thought if there was a glossary here they could be quickly pointed to it.

Nice link IWNTE.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There are a few posts scattered about the forum which deal with the terminology used on the forum. This one for instance. Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained and also this one - FAQ for Sky broadband - Please read first!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.