Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Transfer from Plusnet to Sky - delays.

This is a discussion on Transfer from Plusnet to Sky - delays. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; how come? do you mean with regards keeping your number?...

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Transfer from Plusnet to Sky - delays.

how come? do you mean with regards keeping your number?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If you move on to the SVBN you can't get any other BB service than Sky BB. To change ISP you'd need to first move back to BT and then wait for the line to go active before placing a new order - downtime around 2 weeks
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New process has also kicked in, as per OFCOM's wishes, whereby advisors must raise things called 'general enquiries' each time a customer shows dissatisfaction and the advisor believes that action needs to be taken to resolve said dissatisfaction. For example, mis-sells and occasions where a resolution has taken longer than it really should.

If any of you guys on this thread, or anyone who reads this for that matter, call in and believe that the call isn't handled to your satisfaction, then express that you're dissatisfied and suggest a general enquiry is raised and it'll be dealt with accordingly - I believe customer relations pick these up, but I may be wrong.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I can't see that lasting. Customer Relation will end up with a load of techincal escalations that will have to passed back to tier 1/ CST anyway don't you think?

Thanks

Exactly. Fair enough on ones that have been going on weeks but people will push things through to get speed increased by half a meg...common sense needs to be used

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

All issues are to be dealt with as normal, there's no difference in the normal procedures - tier 1 escalate non-svbn via hd2 tickets and svbn cases via TTM/SPM, and CST then pick these up and confirm next action. The same process is followed to resolution, the only difference being that a general enquiry must also be raised if the advisor believes that it's necessary.

It's just the new complaints process that has been implemented - no difference to the standard technical dept (t1 & CST) procedures that are in place.

jingars is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Interesting stuff, but my Mother-in-Law won't be calling Sky any more; she has had enough and just wants shot of it all.

To answer essenby's query, I had been with Plusnet for dialup since 2001 and ADSL since 2003. I moved from because;

1. Cost. I was paying 22 per month

2. Their email system was always poor, with frequent outages, and the web interface (Squirrel) was worse. Dealing with email when away from home was grim via that interface.

3. The final straw was their annoying "Yorkshire" TV ads - as they are owned by BT to portray themselves as an independent company in God's Own Country seemed just downright weird, and the earlier ones seemed to suggest that only a Yorkshireman's word could be trusted. As a southerner, I find such attitudes anachronistic and regionalist.

But mainly the cost

When I could use my own router with Plusnet, it reported a download speed of around 7.2 mbit/sec. The Sky router has steadied to a reported speed of 10.8 mbit/sec.

General web browsing through Sky seems on a par with Plusnet, and having placed their Xbox in the DMZ on the Sky router, my boys get an open NAT type for their on-line gaming and I have not seen any of the problems with connectivity and latency that many Sky users seem to report.

So, apart from having to use the Sky router (which has crepe wireless quality compared to my own kit) and Sky's attitude to non-Sky emails going through their servers (technically possible to set up, but something of a pain - and sorted through the service provided by this outstanding website) then my on-line experience of Sky is has been good.

Just woe betide you if you need to call in...

essenby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atterclliffe
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks for that but I won't be moving across to SKY anyway. Their "estimate" for my line is 0.5Mb - which is really weird because PlusNet's estimate is 2Mb, and I'm currently synched at 2.7Mb. And 2 independent checks with SPEEDTEST.NET and MYBROADBANDSPEED.CO.UK both confirm the 2.7 Mb speed.

My guess is that although my exchange has SKY LLU equipment in it they are oversubscribed and can only offer me "Connect". To be fair to them though, their e-mail response to me was along the lines of "we wouldn't want to connect you at that speed as we want you to have a good connection". Well - I've got one. It's not great, but it's stable and reliable and fast enough for general use. It's capped at 60Gb but it only cost's 11.49 so I guess I'll just have to make do untill they get around to FTTC/P

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

Barrie

essenby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atterclliffe
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As a further follow up I did a quick survey of wireless networks around me last night. From my Tosh in my living room I can "see" a total of 9 wireless networks - 4 of which are SKY. I'm willing to bet that NONE of those is operating at 0.5 Mb as all the houses are served by the same cabinet.

Therefore either SKY have NOT checked the line as they said they have, or they are suffering capacity issues in the exchange and cannot connect me. Why can't hey just be up front and honest about these things. SURELY they must realise that "being economical with the truth" does their image more harm than just admiting the problem?

Thanks

Sky's estimates are based on BT, who haven't updated theirs in years

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast