Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky router help as mine is not too clever on wireless

This is a discussion on Sky router help as mine is not too clever on wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have a Sagem F@st 2504 router and I think the wireless distance is very poor, saying that my ...

welshviking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shotton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky router help as mine is not too clever on wireless

Hi, I have a Sagem F@st 2504 router and I think the wireless distance is very poor, saying that my house is quite large and from where the router sits in the study it is approx 45' to the lounge (3 walls in the way as well) so we cannot get a wireless signal to any of the kids laptops while in the lounge or the nintendo wii. Would I be better trying another type of Sky router to see if the wireless capability is better, any ideas please of a suitable sky router..Thanks in advance for your help....Regards Colin

Just to add i have still got my old Thomson Tg585 v7 from my plusnet days and a Netgear Dg834G v3 from my old Aol days...not sure if any of them 2 are better or even if they would work with Sky.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Sky router help as mine is not too clever on wireless

Hi there,

Personally I'd suggest getting yourself a HomePlug or PowerLine kit. These have been discussed in various threads in the forum already.

Connect one to your Sky router, the other place near to your TV in the lounge (assuming this covers the other side of your home).

You could then configure the 2nd router to effectively act as a WiFi Switch. You can plug you Sky box into the back of it so you can get Anytime+. This would solve more than just the WiFi issue.

HomePlugs & PowerLine adapters cost anything from 35-100 or so. If you go to eBay, be careful that you don't get a model that was subject to a product recall.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hi there,

Personally I'd suggest getting yourself a HomePlug or PowerLine kit. These have been discussed in various threads in the forum already.

Connect one to your Sky router, the other place near to your TV in the lounge (assuming this covers the other side of your home).

You could then configure the 2nd router to effectively act as a WiFi Switch. You can plug you Sky box into the back of it so you can get Anytime+. This would solve more than just the WiFi issue.

HomePlugs & PowerLine adapters cost anything from 35-100 or so. If you go to eBay, be careful that you don't get a model that was subject to a product recall.
      Many thanks for the idea, much appreciated will look on ther old ebay to see if any bargains are to be had...Thanks

Thanks

Now please be steady on me as i have never used these powerline kits before, i have purchased a set of TP-LINK TL-PA101. now i have plugged 1 into the wireless router using the supplied ethernet cable and plugged it into the mains in the study next to the wireless router, now the other i have plugged into the mains in the lounge , the thing i cannot get my head round is do i now have to plug another ethernet cable into the one in the lounge and use them that way, as i had the idea in my head that the nintendo wii would pick up a wireless signal from the 1 plugged into the lounge. if i have to use an ethernet cable where does it plug into the wii as i cannot see any plugs on the wii suitable for a ethernet cable...or am i doing something totally wrong !!!!

and from the reply to my earlier question "You could then configure the 2nd router to effectively act as a WiFi Switch" how do i set that up ?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Yes you need to use another Ethernet cable to plug into your device. As you rightly said, though, the Wii is Wi-Fi only so you might need to get a wireless switch so you can run the devices needing Wi-Fi from it

Or the second powerline plug could be of the wireless variety:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=p...ed=0CC0QrQQwAA
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Yes you need to use another Ethernet cable to plug into your device. As you rightly said, though, the Wii is Wi-Fi only so you might need to get a wireless switch so you can run the devices needing Wi-Fi from it

Or the second powerline plug could be of the wireless variety:

powerline wireless - Google Product Search
      Many thanks for your help, i dont know why i thought all powerline kits were wireless (thick welsh git !!!!) and too be honest i dont want anymore wires (ethernet etc) around the house especially with 2 small kids running around causing havoc, plus i only realised before i have no electric sockets free around the back of the pc or the back of the wii/tv set up and i realise its not recommended to plug powerlines into an extension socket....Well back to the drawing board, luckily the powerline kit only cost me 30 from ebay so i will sell them and get my money back. Its just mad that my wii and laptops in the lounge are picking up a signal from a bt homehub from across the street...50 yards away on the opposite side of the house from the lounge (maybe i can force the password out of the neighbour ) . The only other thing i can do is get a good quality wireless router and take a chance on it...Can a linksys router be set up / work ok with sky broadband as they are getting very good write ups on the internet and i think that would probably cover the whole house no problem instead of just 1 room as the sagem F@st is doing .....Thanks again for all your help..much much appreciated.....Colin

nonono is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

try logging into the broadband router page and change the channel.

open a internet page on you pc, in the address box were it says http:// delete all so its empty, type in 192.168.0.1 it will ask for login. username= admin password = sky (all in lower case) click login. then click setup then click wireless settings it will show your sky***** and channel, change it to 6 or 11 i find is best. then click apply at the bottom
      hope this help

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Any ADSL router can be used so long as you know how to set it up, but bare in mind it is against T&Cs of Sky BB but no one has been cut off as yet...

The problem with the HomeHub is it's Wireless-N whereas the Sky router is Wireless-G so range isn't as good
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nonono View Post
      try logging into the broadband router page and change the channel.

open a internet page on you pc, in the address box were it says http:// delete all so its empty, type in 192.168.0.1 it will ask for login. username= admin password = sky (all in lower case) click login. then click setup then click wireless settings it will show your sky***** and channel, change it to 6 or 11 i find is best. then click apply at the bottom
      hope this help
      Ok thank you..will try that , Well i tried channel 6 and nothing at all on the wii or the laptop in the lounge, then i tried channel 11 and the wii found it and the laptop did, but it did say on the laptop signal was 5.5 mbps and very low and when i tried to connect the wii to the internet it failed, probably down to a poor signal. Any other ideas would be appreciated i obviously cannot move my television / wii system as its too large to move around, maybe try to move the wireless router....Regards Colin
      Last edited by welshviking; 20-01-11 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Any ADSL router can be used so long as you know how to set it up, but bare in mind it is against T&Cs of Sky BB but no one has been cut off as yet...

The problem with the HomeHub is it's Wireless-N whereas the Sky router is Wireless-G so range isn't as good
      Cheers mate, i do know about the t&c of sky broadband but if the router they supplied was any good i would not be having these problems, can you actually get a wireless-N router that will work with sky...sorry if its a stupid question ....Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast