Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching from TalkTalk - advice about my current home network

This is a discussion on Switching from TalkTalk - advice about my current home network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We are going to be switching from TalkTalk to Sky Broadband in the next couple of months but was just ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Switching from TalkTalk - advice about my current home network

We are going to be switching from TalkTalk to Sky Broadband in the next couple of months but was just wanting a bit of advice about my current home network setup.

I hear that Sky require you to use their supplied router and that my current Netgear DG834G router would become redundant.

However I have spent a lot of time setting up my current router with the wireless security (WEP security and Access lists), firewall rules (for my PS3 and Xbox 360) and IP Address List so I feel frustrated I cannot simply pop the Sky username and password into my current router and carry on as normal.

My router is currently in my bedroom (where most of the wired connections are) but I have been told it is best to put the router by the main phone box and leave it on 24/7 at least until DLM is complete.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to switch off all but the modem part on the Sky router and use my old router as a wired and wireless access switch (obviously switching off the modem part of the old router). Is this possible? Or is there a better way of doing it? (A friend has offered me a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch he no longer needs for 15)

Also what is the most likely router Sky will provide and is there any setup restrictions (apart from not being able to access the username and password directly)?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Switching from TalkTalk - advice about my current home network

The official Sky line is that you should use their router. However, if you take a look around this forum you will find various threads on how to use your own router.

It is possible to connect Sky's router and use it as a WiFi Switch.

As for where to plug your router in, in order to get the best possible speed from your BB connection, using the master socket is always the best option. Again there are various threads on this topic in this forum.

With regards to your friend's Gbit switch, it sounds a nice prospect. The main issues though are what cabled ports do you have on your computers? It's not good having a Gbit LAN if they are all 10/100Mb.

Another useful thing to think about are Homeplugs/PowerLine adaptors. Again these have been discussed quite a bit on this forum.

Good luck.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms